The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

***Petition to Close all Grammars *sign here

Scroll to see replies

Ian-Mac
I went to an ofsted failing comprehensive school. The stories I have about my education would shock you. It has left me pretty disadvantaged in all forms of opportunity but if you have the drive you can achieve anything.

My school was a dumping ground and there was no discipline in classes. Students used to run a muck. My school was so rough that there is even a permanent police station on campus. People used to smoke in class too. Sometimes even drugs.

I didn’t learn a hell of a lot but I worked hard and I finished with decent grades. I now go to college which is not much better than school in terms of organisation but I am still working hard and achieving decent grades. Next year I am going to university.

It has been a struggle. I am working my way up from the bottom. No one has ever given me anything on the plate. I have worked hard for everything I have got. Just because I had it hard growing up I wouldn’t wish it upon other people. I say keep grammar schools. Good on the people that are enough privileged to go on them.

If I was a parent and I worked hard all life and I could afford it I would sure as hell send my children to one.

Sounds like you would have benefitted from a grammar school!

Oh but wait, then it wouldnt be fair on your smoking-in-class/drug-taking friends, cant have them upset now can we Yawn?......
Reply 1141
Ian-Mac
I went to an ofsted failing comprehensive school. The stories I have about my education would shock you. It has left me pretty disadvantaged in all forms of opportunity but if you have the drive you can achieve anything.

My school was a dumping ground and there was no discipline in classes. Students used to run a muck. My school was so rough that there is even a permanent police station on campus. People used to smoke in class too. Sometimes even drugs.

I didn’t learn a hell of a lot but I worked hard and I finished with decent grades. I now go to college which is not much better than school in terms of organisation but I am still working hard and achieving decent grades. Next year I am going to university.

It has been a struggle. I am working my way up from the bottom. No one has ever given me anything on the plate. I have worked hard for everything I have got. Just because I had it hard growing up I wouldn’t wish it upon other people. I say keep grammar schools. Good on the people that are enough privileged to go on them.

If I was a parent and I worked hard all life and I could afford it I would sure as hell send my children to one.

Do you not think that in 1140 posts, this sort of scenario has not been covered time and time again, and that enough statistical research studies have evidenced that grammars are not the panacea for dealing with dissaffection, disadvantage, and disillusionment amongst students...in fact, they exacerbate it.

You summed it up in your last sentence actually...grammars are not fit for purpose since they no longer do what they were set up to do. Educate the poor, but bright.
Reply 1142
billydisco
Sounds like you would have benefitted from a grammar school!

Oh but wait, then it wouldnt be fair on your smoking-in-class/drug-taking friends, cant have them upset now can we Yawn?......

I would have benefited from a grammar school education. That is why I don’t want to close them down. If someone works hard in life then they should have the right to send their children to a school where they know they are going to get a good education. I am not angry about the fact that I had to go to a run down east London comprehensive.

I don’t care too much for fairness anyway. I would still rather have gone to a grammar school.
yawn
You summed it up in your last sentence actually...grammars are not fit for purpose since they no longer do what they were set up to do. Educate the poor, but bright.

How has he stated that?? More like- the only other way he could have got a decent education is to go private because comprehensives couldn't give him what he required!
It isn't enough to say that Grammar schools are not achieving what they were supposed to do as well as they should. That is obvious - although mine was in a white, middle class area, it was disproportionately white and middle class.

But they still provide upward social mobility for some, even if the deck is stacked against them with catchment areas, people paying to train their kids in the 11+, etc. But it is not as easy to buy your kid a place in grammar school as it would be to buy your kid a place in a 'better' comprehensive (cf. all the catchment area still and the middle class fight against the lotting system in Bristol) nor, obviously, private or home education, which is obviously aimed at converting time or cash into selective advantage for ones offspring. I don't know about how get better equality in education, but knocking out one of the lesser offenders and replacing it with greater ones (what do you think will happen if you close grammar schools down? Some will simply go private, and others will become comprehensives in affluent areas in which rich parents can buy their way into) doesn't seem a very bright idea.
Do you not see the similarity between Yawn and Labour- they're both left wing and dont care about the level of attainment in this country. They only care about equality.

Notice how the country has been brought down to its knees- everyone will have little money- this is what Labour want, equality whatever the level.

The same goes with anti-grammar protesters, they do not care of the level of education so long as it is identical for everyone.

So basically the drug-taking comprehensive student should receive the same education as a would-be grammar pupil........... how stupud.
My dad earns around 10k working a 40 hour week. Not a single state school (there are a few religious independent schools that do slightly better) in my borough gets above 50% 5 A*-Cs. I managed to get into a grammar school and now study a top course at a top university. I didn't even manage to get a place at my first 2 choices for local schools. I would have gone to a school which has now been shut due to terrible performance.

The idea that grammar schools do not provide a platform for people from working class backgrounds is frankly ridiculous. The grammar school I was at contained many people from disadvantaged backgrounds who managed to do very well. By closing grammar schools, all that will happen is that private schools will grow to take their places which then provide no help to children from worse off backgrounds.
Reply 1147
What a negative thread. Very British. Instead of having a "sign here" petition to raise the standards in state schools we have a petition to shut down the country's performing schools. How sad.
Howard
What a negative thread. Very British. Instead of having a "sign here" petition to raise the standards in state schools we have a petition to shut down the country's performing schools. How sad.

There was, i created it. But this thread generated more replies as people were slightly 'upset' with closing grammars.

I think the create more grammars petition had something like 3,000 signatures whilst this one had something stupid like 50.
yeah, sure i'll petition against grammar schools which were introduced to close the gap between state and public schools :rolleyes:

What about the people in grammar schools who can't afford to go to public schools?
Bateman
yeah, sure i'll petition against grammar schools which were introduced to close the gap between state and public schools :rolleyes:

What about the people in grammar schools who can't afford to go to public schools?

Yeh its apalling that brighter children be taught together in a grammar school, but its perfectly fine for them to be in a top set in a comprehensive..... :rolleyes:

If you're against academic selection, how are you going to select the top set?? Sums up their dumb beliefs really!
billydisco
Yeh its apalling that brighter children be taught together in a grammar school, but its perfectly fine for them to be in a top set in a comprehensive..... :rolleyes:

If you're against academic selection, how are you going to select the top set?? Sums up their dumb beliefs really!

yeah, lets make the education system fair by closing grammar schools which provide public school education for free! :rolleyes:
I love the lack of support for closing down grammars on this thread :smile:
Original post by yawn
Catholic Grammar schools are a rarity, unless they are fee-paying. The reason they are a rarity is because we believe that every child deserves the best education available, not the few.

If every school had the sort of ethos that Catholic schools have every single child would not only receive a good education, but also emerge from them a well-rounded and confident young person.

But then, I am biased somewhat. :wink:

I go to a Catholic school, it did nothing good for me I and left a less 'well-rounded' person and so do most people.

The nearest Grammer School on the other hand is the complete opposite. You should be arguing for Private schools to be closed.
Reply 1154
Original post by Benniboi1
I go to a Catholic school, it did nothing good for me I and left a less 'well-rounded' person and so do most people.

The nearest Grammer School on the other hand is the complete opposite. You should be arguing for Private schools to be closed.

Just one discussion is all it took...to turn you into a stalker.

You resurrect a thread that is smore than a year old - and that I haven't contributed to in 3 years and single me out....what a peculiar and creepy thing to do! :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
I know this is an old thread but oh well.

I wish Wales still had grammar schools! The state secondary schools are put into sets, but for some of the lessons we had them in big groups and were distracted by the ones who didn't want to learn at all, and I personally would rather have gone to a grammar school if it existed (I was a little brainbox back in those days :moon: ). Although my mom went to grammar school, and when asked at age sixteen what she wanted to be, with all the other girls answering things like "doctor" and "lawyer", she replied that she wanted to be a mom, and they told her she wasn't welcome to return for sixth form :eek:
Please don't necro old and outdated threads

Latest

Trending

Trending