The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

shiver333
Okay, probably right, do they notify other unis? I'd say it would be fair to do so. So instead of, I don't know, saying that one of your hobbies is public speaking, you write that you got a school award for public speaking. Bad or good? Or, let's say, you say you were a winner in a literary competition when you were a member of a winning team?

Yes, I don't see why they wouldn't notify other unis tbh. The literary competition is technically true anyway so I think that's totally acceptable. The public speaking thing is dodgy. School awards aren't that important but if you were an accomplished public speaker and were award standard then maybe. That's on unsteady ground.
You just need to find the difference between wording things differently to make them look better and outright lying.
coldplasma
My application was ready to go late-october, but the school secretary who sends the applications was ill for 2-3 weeks, and then when she came back she didn't bother sending it off until 5th December, even after nagging. So please think about these propositions you are making before posting.

Didn't you apply online and do it yourself?
SmilerNuts
Didn't you apply online and do it yourself?

I did, but I needed the school to make a reference and they wouldn't do it unless I applied through the school.
coldplasma
I did, but I needed the school to make a reference and they wouldn't do it unless I applied through the school.

Aah ok I see.
Reply 44
SmilerNuts
Yes, I don't see why they wouldn't notify other unis tbh. The literary competition is technically true anyway so I think that's totally acceptable. The public speaking thing is dodgy. School awards aren't that important but if you were an accomplished public speaker and were award standard then maybe. That's on unsteady ground.
You just need to find the difference between wording things differently to make them look better and outright lying.

Ok, what if you were registered for some activities under a different name? For example, if you use a European first name so people don't mess it up so often, end up "stuck with it" and sign it everywhere. Do they ask you to prove you were there/done that or they just outright think you are a liar?
roonster100
Hi guys..

A friend of mine in my sixth form college sent his UCAS off a couple of weeks ago. In his personal statement he lied about doing Duke of Edinburgh, Young Enterprise, and some Work Experience. He even made up one his employment options.

I did tell him not to BS so much on his UCAS, but he sent it off anyway. Surely he'll get found out or do unis not look into these kind of things so much?

If caught he can always treat the admissions people to an existential argument about the nature of truth.
shiver333
Ok, what if you were registered for some activities under a different name? For example, if you use a European first name so people don't mess it up so often, end up "stuck with it" and sign it everywhere. Do they ask you to prove you were there/done that or they just outright think you are a liar?

They ask you to prove it obviously. There would be evidence seeing as you actually did all that stuff surely.
Reply 47
SmilerNuts
They ask you to prove it obviously. There would be evidence seeing as you actually did all that stuff surely.

OK, good, because I actually do use a different name. Was kind of worried about that.
shiver333
OK, good, because I actually do use a different name. Was kind of worried about that.

Yeah, I thought you might well be talking about yourself there lol.
Reply 49
SmilerNuts
Yeah, I thought you might well be talking about yourself there lol.

:wink:
Reply 50
I did say in general - I'm sorry you had a bad experience but my point that most people applying now will be *see above for spiel* is still valid. Yes there will be a minority of people who get caught out by illness or accident or incompetent staff... but that doesn't change the situation that they will be applying for whatever places are left over by those who have applied earlier. Admissions staff will not be EXPECTING any amazing straight A applicants to apply and will be less hesitant in holding back and differentiating between candidates based upon extra curriculars etc.
Bekaboo
I did say in general - I'm sorry you had a bad experience but my point that most people applying now will be *see above for spiel* is still valid. Yes there will be a minority of people who get caught out by illness or accident or incompetent staff... but that doesn't change the situation that they will be applying for whatever places are left over by those who have applied earlier. Admissions staff will not be EXPECTING any amazing straight A applicants to apply and will be less hesitant in holding back and differentiating between candidates based upon extra curriculars etc.

While it's true that most uni's are already giving out offers, it's also true that uni's are giving out more offers than how many placements there are availible. They have to assess whether the candidate is A. Likely to achieve the grades, and B. Whether the candidate is likely to make the uni their firm. Someone with AAA who is applying for an ABB course will be given an offer, but will probably not goto the uni due to applying for other more entry demanding universities. So you still pretty much have a good chance up until the last couple of weeks or so.
karate_kat
I just searched ucas, and it showed 20+ unis under 'teacher training' but for veterinary science there are only 7 unis. How does this show teacher training is just as competitive, and I'm sure you don't require AAA/AAB to apply.

I need AAB to get into the ones which I have applied for! Thus it is competitive, plus in some of the courses there are many applying and a rigorous interview
I lied loads lol.

Got 4 straight offers :biggrin:
Bedshaped
I lied loads lol.

Got 4 straight offers :biggrin:

And you're doing law :rolleyes:
timeceremony

He is going to be a really corrupt lawyer! hehe
As long as you can back it up in interview you will be fine.

Don't ask me how I know that.
It's no different to the people that lie about a book they've read. I know lots of people that have lied about books they've read on their ps, as they knew their unis didn't interview.

I wouldn't do it, but then I have little need to do it as I've done so much extra curric. Funnily enough I didn't include any of it. I'm thinking I should have maybe included a bit. But, I've played sports for county, violin grade 6, won awards for public speaking.. I just didn't mention any of it. In reality, saying you've done DofE is not going to make any difference.

I know plenty of people who have only applied this week and they're AAAA sudents applying for top 10 universities for subjects like History. I know for English at a lot of the top unis they wait until jan 15th so as to make sure they're accepting the best candidates.
did you know that peter kay got into Drama at Liverpool Uni and he lied about his grades on ucas. they apparentyl didnt even check to see if h'ed got the certificates when he turned up. as it turns out, he only stayed there for like, 6 months or something anyway. but the point is, they probs arent THAT thorough when they have to sift through shedloads of applications.
timeceremony

To be expected really :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending