The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I would have been 17 at time of entry but I'm taking a gap year. Not sure whether I'll be accepted in the first place though.
Reply 2
Different colleges have different policies for this, so drop each of them a short email asking -- some will NOT accept people younger than 18 entry, others are more relaxed about it. :smile:
Reply 3
xx-footy-fan-xx
anyone else in the same situation?? :smile:
if so, which college did u apply to?

Yes, i applied to Trinity
*bobo*
Yes, i applied to Trinity

me too!!! :biggrin: and for the same subject!!
how did your interview go?? :smile:

exept that i didnt get an interview :frown:
Reply 5
Most colleges are fine with it.
Reply 6
xx-footy-fan-xx
me too!!! :biggrin: and for the same subject!!
how did your interview go?? :smile:

exept that i didnt get an interview :frown:

aww sorry you didn't get an interview.

mine seemed to go ok, other than finishing early.
Reply 7

WOW---its so good to meet ppl alike! I am 16 and will be till august so wud be like one of the youngest in uni! i am taking a gap year though.
Reply 8
Generally it's ok - the only issue is you can't sign a flat lease until your 18 - but that's not a problem because you almost always live in college for the first year and don't need to. (I think Queens maybe are the college where you live out in first year but not sure how it works - we have to sign a lease to live in college flats but don't know about annexes). Overall it seems to be fine to be a year younger - i know a fair few Scottish applicants who came up aged 17 and one French and one who was just in the year below.
I know a 17-year-old in the first year at St. Anne's.
I know two people at my college who came up when they were 17, and one guy at Queens, so although it is unusual, you won't be the only one by any means. :-) Of the people I know, they don't seem to have found it much of a problem, uni ID gets you into pretty much everywhere, and emotionally they seem just as prepared for having to leave home.
Reply 11
I'm going up when I'm 17, to Merton College, Oxford; got my offer last night.
Reply 12
I'd be 17 if I were to be admitted.
Reply 13
I'll be turning 18 in March next year in Churchill College (Cambridge). I might be the youngest one there right now though.
I would have been, but decided to take a Gap Year instead, which on reflection was probably the right thing to do - got in this year to study PPE at Brasenose!!!
I know stacks of people who are/were 17 when they went to Ox... granted most of them were from Scotland as it seems to be the done thing there but for the most part they do exactly what all the over 18s do (prehaps not entirely legally if you get my drift). College makes a big song and dance about from what I hear but tbo it doesnt seem to make a difference!
Pardon my complete and utter ignorance of this.. but if you're not from Scotland, how do you end up going a year early? Do you complete all your A2s in Year 12, or something? It's not something I really get - everything was done in a very ordinary, regimented sort of way at my school - no-one took any exams early, or anything. :smile:
Reply 17
People often skip a year early in education - e.g. miss out year 3 or start school at 4 - so their "regimented education" in secondary school is still the same, but they start secondary school a year early.
Thanks - yeah, that makes sense to me now! Cheers :smile:

Latest