The Student Room Group

Nursing - Diploma or Degree???

Scroll to see replies

Trigger
First, for goodness sake use a full stop.

Just because you are encouraged to so something means nothing. They won't take your registration and i work with plenty of nurses who are happy at band 5 status and hold diplomas. Some people (ie me when i was studying) can't afford degrees and also would have struggled with doing a dissertation but make perfectly good nurses. At the end of the day if you have been proven to be a good nurse for 10 years i highly doubt your degree status will count for that much, same as my GCSE's count for nothing when i am applying for jobs 6/7 years after i completed.

Yes i realise i have been out of the nursing game since 2007 but i work on a ward with these people and they are going to be aware of these changes and we discuss them regularly.

if you have a problem with it go spout it to anne-marie rafferty, but the truth of the matter is nursing in the next 2 years is going to be a degree only profession at the majority of institutions, it will make a difference unfortunately, as much as i agree it doesn't make a person a good or bad nurse- the way the nursing is heading.

http://cnm.independent.gov.uk/ I attended a lecture on this around 9 months ago, and even though its all talk at the moment, the fact the degree is now being implemented, it's going to make a difference to future qualified nurses- the applicants today and current students imparticular.
Reply 21
Subcutaneous
if you have a problem with it go spout it to anne-marie rafferty, but the truth of the matter is nursing in the next 2 years is going to be a degree only profession at the majority of institutions, it will make a difference unfortunately, as much as i agree it doesn't make a person a good or bad nurse- the way the nursing is heading.

http://cnm.independent.gov.uk/ I attended a lecture on this around 9 months ago, and even though its all talk at the moment, the fact the degree is now being implemented, it's going to make a difference to future qualified nurses- the applicants today and current students imparticular.

Who said i have a problem with it? I am a ward clerk so i don't give a crap what letters come after your name, i am just saying what i know. If you have a problem with that bugger off :h: It is hardly big news that they are phasing out Diplomas and more fool them for doing so, they are cutting their applications down significantly. THe bursary is a life line for people like myself who don't get hand outs from their parents and working mums and dads that want to better themselves. Even HCA's and NA's. Anyway YOU are doing the bursar course and topping up in the third year so i don't know what you are spouting off about.
Trigger
Who said i have a problem with it? I am a ward clerk so i don't give a crap what letters come after your name, i am just saying what i know. If you have a problem with that bugger off :h: It is hardly big news that they are phasing out Diplomas and more fool them for doing so, they are cutting their applications down significantly. THe bursary is a life line for people like myself who don't get hand outs from their parents and working mums and dads that want to better themselves. Even HCA's and NA's. Anyway YOU are doing the bursar course and topping up in the third year so i don't know what you are spouting off about.

Because I'm doing extra credit module in my 2nd year and also having my essays marked at a higher level, plus an extra 2 weeks of lectures- so it's affecting me now actually
go to a uni like brooks where you can start on the diploma (yr 1 and 2) ad do year 3 as a top up to the dergee. then you get the best of both world (placement and funding wise) and come out with a degree.

you do need a degree, to be honest, if you wanna progress in your career. my aunty did a diploma 20 years ago. 5years ago she was given a regional managers position but last year the nhs told her that even though she had worked her way up to this position that she would have to be let go unless she completes a degree part time. the nhs are paying for the degree but it is proof that a diploma will only get you so far. 20years of service and her job (if she doent complete her degree) could be taken over by a nurse with a degree who has only do 5-10years service.
Im doing my return to pratice and have been asked today if I want to do level 5/ or 6 I have no interest in doing management I just want my pin back what does everyone think ?
Original post by lesleyrosie
Im doing my return to pratice and have been asked today if I want to do level 5/ or 6 I have no interest in doing management I just want my pin back what does everyone think ?

Still need a degree nowadays i'm afraid.
Original post by Subcutaneous
Still need a degree nowadays i'm afraid.

Approved RTP courses are still being ran at level 5 so they could do either and return to the register.

Original post by lesleyrosie

It's up to you and how you feel about the academic workload :smile:

Quick Reply