The Student Room Group
Not for natural sciences or engineering.
Reply 2
As Good bloke said, they won't let you do Sciences with those A-levels. I', pretty sure you should be okay for most Arts subjects though. Being 22 won't be a problem, you'll be classified as "mature student", but that's all.

Whether you will actually get an interview or even get into Cambridge depends on your PS/your reference/how you do at your interview, but with AAAB, you can definitely apply.
Reply 3
Depends how recent they want the study, mind.

I know some unis look for evidence of recent study within say three years; Exeter and Liverpool in my case definitely and Cardiff also advised it...
I think he needs to impart rather more information if he wants truly valid opinions. What does he wish to study? How and when did he get to AAAB? What are his module grades/UMS like?
Furthermore, what kind of English did the OP take? English literature, English language or English language & literature?
Reply 6
Err, I don't think that's a major consideration tbh. People obsess about the "prestige" of A-levels, when all that's ever been said by Cambridge is that they like people to have at least two traditional subjects. The OP has that in History and RS.
Reply 7
No-one here can say whether you will "get into" Cambridge. But with those grades, if you're applying for a relevant subject (that is, not Sciences or Maths), I don't see why you wouldn't stand as good a *chance* as lots of others. Go for it! :smile:
coldfish
Err, I don't think that's a major consideration tbh. People obsess about the "prestige" of A-levels, when all that's ever been said by Cambridge is that they like people to have at least two traditional subjects. The OP has that in History and RS.

That's true, but it would be potentially damaging if the OP is applying for English and has an English language A-level. Furthermore, even though subject choices are not a major consideration in the scheme of things, there may be a particularly finicky admissions tutor who has a problem with it (which quite possibly may be the case if the OP were to apply to Trinity, for example - although if there are any Trinitarians who want to give me flak over that comment, fine, it's just that their website gave me that impression).

However, to the OP - your grades are fine and your subjects are fine too, so as far as I'm concerned go ahead. :smile: Although it would help to know what your subject is...
Reply 9
Dear god...
westhamrock
Can i get into Cambridge with 3A's (in History,English and Religious Studies) and 1B (in Politics)? I will be 22 when i apply??

You can't expect students to be able to tell you if you can get into Cambridge or not. Apply, go for an interview, and Cambridge will tell you.
Reply 11
Thanks for all the replys. I agree i wasn't very clear. Finished my Alevels end of last year, but only want to go in 4 years which will make me 22. I'm set on gonig to Cambridge, so would like your opinions if i would need to improve my grades (3A's in English Lit, History and R.S and a Bin Politics). Basically what my chances are in getting in! My GCSE grades were not very good either, does that make a big difference? I'm not interested in doing Mathamatics or any science. More interested in donig something like, Law, Economics, History, Politics. Anyone who has got a good idea of my chances, please reply.
Thanks.
Reply 12
More interested in donig something like, Law, Economics, History, Politics. Anyone who has got a good idea of my chances, please reply.

You wouldn't be able to do Economics at Cambridge without Maths A Level (at least).
Politics exists only as a part of the SPS Tripos (Social and Political Sciences), whereas at Oxford it is part of PPE (Politcs, Philosophy and Economics).
You might consider Land Economy, if you're interested in both Economics and Law -- Maths is not an absolute requirement for this (From the website: "No particular subjects at A level (or equivalent) are required for the Land Economy course but a combination of arts and science subjects is recommended. Economics, Mathematics and Geography are particularly useful. The only exceptions are Christ's where A level Mathematics is highly desirable and Newnham where AS level Mathematics is highly desirable.")

As for your "chances", as several of us have already said, we cannot comment with any accuracy or authority on that. But your grades are good. Bear in mind, also, that you're planning years ahead -- who knows what the situation will be in 4 years' time?

Do think carefully about what subject, though -- those you mention are particularly diverse. Have a look at the courses' websites, and click on each of the 'course requirements' links of each subjects' page to see all the current details. Here: http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/subjects.html
Reply 13
This is a quick butt-in, but can I suggest considering philosophy? It seems that an awful lot of the people who currently study it were general "I like the humanities but I'm not quite sure which one" style people before finding out about it. It was certainly the case for me: I couldn't decide between english, music and politics.
Reply 14
coldfish
This is a quick butt-in, but can I suggest considering philosophy? It seems that an awful lot of the people who currently study it were general "I like the humanities but I'm not quite sure which one" style people before finding out about it. It was certainly the case for me: I couldn't decide between english, music and politics.

Personally, I couldn't decide between Politics, History, Law and Foreign Languages. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending