The Student Room Group

The English 2008 Applicants / Offers / Rejections Thread

Oh yes, I am stealing 07's thunder.

I thought we probably should have a nice organised thread where people can keep each other up to date with where they are applying / where they've applied /whether they got offers / rejections - whatever!

It's good to talk!

I don't know how stickies work, but if this picks up maybe it should get the treatment?

Maybe I could even whip up a huge list of who is applying to which university? Who knows!

Scroll to see replies

Thread stuck :smile:
Reply 2
Maybe I should start the ball rolling?

I'm applying to Oxford, Durham, Bristol, Warwick and UCL.

They are really competitive, I know ... But I feel I should have a go (you only live once!)
Reply 3
Ooh, I was wondering when one of these would turn up! I'm applying to:

Oxford (Teddy Hall), Warwick (for English & Creative Writing), UCL, Goldsmiths (for English w/Creative Writing) and Sheffield. Three really competitive, and then a couple that are slightly more insurance-y. I'll see how it goes!
Rogues
They are really competitive, I know ... But I feel I should have a go (you only live once!)

That's the spirit! My choices (roughly in order of preference):

Oxford (Mansfield)
UCL
KCL
St Andrews
Leeds

I'd be extremely pleased with an offer from any of them, which I think is the test of a good five choices. Should things turn out badly, I'll just have to take a 'gap year of necessity'.
I too have been waiting for this to appear, my choices are Brighton, Chichester, Portsmouth, SMUC Twickenham and Winchester. Know these aren't that special, but I'd rather be safe and near home than risky and miles away!

Sending off UCAS in the next week or so.
Reply 6
LGoddard
Durham (St John's, Combined Hons. in Arts)

Ooh, I'm applying for that course at that college too. :smile:

Also straight English at Durham, and York, St Andrews, plus a mysterious undecided fifth choice. [EDIT: which was Oxford in the end.]

I'd be happy to go to any of them. *prays for offers*
I'm going for York/Leeds(two courses)/Manchester/Newcastle

I'm almost certain.....
Reverie.
Ooh, I'm applying for that course at that college too. :smile:

That's quite a coincidence. What subject(s) would you like to do along with English? Philosophy, Psychology and History of Art are all options for me.
Reply 9
French and Music officially, though I'd quite like to do Russian and/or Theology as well if I can.
Applying for English at Oxford (Teddy Hall), and English and Philosophy at Leeds, York, Bristol and Warwick.

Fun, fun.
Ooh, another prospective Teddy Hall-er! Maybe I'll see you at interview :smile:.
spiritofsussex
I too have been waiting for this to appear, my choices are Brighton, Chichester, Portsmouth, SMUC Twickenham and Winchester. Know these aren't that special, but I'd rather be safe and near home than risky and miles away!

Sending off UCAS in the next week or so.

If you want to know anything about Chichester, just pm me
tambourine
Ooh, another prospective Teddy Hall-er! Maybe I'll see you at interview :smile:.

Oooh, I know - we're in competition! :p:
I keep on changing my mind, but at the moment:

Oxford (Jesus), York, Durham (Grey), Warwick and Cardiff, all for English Lit.

Can't wait to go! Just really worrying I won't get in, as I seriously don't want another gap year...
Reply 15
I'm sending my Ucas form off this year, but I'm deferring my entry to 2009 in order to do a gap year.

I think I'm applying for -

York, Exeter, Sussex, KCL and Royal Holloway... but I really like the look of Warwick as well! So that could change... I wish we could choose 6!
UCL - English
KCL - English Language & Literature (they dont offer straight lit)
Bristol - English
Exeter - English
Queen Mary - English

I THINK...i'm also looking at Birmingham and Warwick, but it seems EVERYONE wants to go there. Although I got 4As at AS-level, nearly everywhere seems so competitive
I am applying to:

Oxford (Magdalen) - English Language and Literature
UCL - English Literature
Warwick - English Literature (though I am contemplating Eng Lit. and Theatre Arts)
York - English Literature
Leeds - English Literature

For some reason, I get this weird feeling in my stomach whenever I look at my choices. =/
umm...

I'm applying for English Lit deferred entry at:
-Exeter (with a year of study in north america)
-Sussex
-UEA
-Sheffield
-Southampton

kind of in order of preference although to be fair I am tres worried and am hoping for an offer from somewhere
Northumbria - English
Sunderland - English Language and Literature
Teeside - English Studies

I wanted to go to Durham but I didn't get all A's :frown: