The Student Room Group
Reply 1
for a physics statement, the start is poor. Dont talk abut yourself, talk about your subject. Pick an area within physics which you will study at university, something you find interesting, and talk about it's importance to science! I talked about QED, a friend did The uncertainty principle. After you have done a decent sized paragraph on that, then yuo move onto talking about yourself
Reply 2
What a boaster!!!!
Reply 3
I suggest your friend comments on the maths element of Physics as many people ignore the fact that Maths is highly fundamental to the study of Physics. Additionally, although your friend's interest may lie within Physics by applying to Cams NatSci programme it is vital that s/he shows she is still interested in other subjects (such as chemistry/materials science) one of which she will have to study for the first year or so (I'm not that up-to-date with NatSci course). However, assuming s/he is applying for Physics at other unis, then s/he may want to mention his/her other science interests on the specific cam form.

The personal statement is quite reasonable, but does come across as though she is trying to sell Physics to someone else, rather than sell him/herself to the Physics course!!! Other than the visits s/he lists, there are no comments to how they have applied themselves to the subject outside of lesson time - has s/he read any other books? magazines? done any work experience (not that this is vital).

Overall, it's a reasonable statement (but then I can't comment as I don't think mine's that good). The important thing to remember, is that with Science subjects it is often the interview and any tests which cary more weighting than a PS. Everyone applying to Oxbridge has a good PS!
This is a just bit negative - "Given the increasingly eclectic nature of the world, questions and problems are inevitable."

Does your friend mean to say that a mixture of peoples & cultures = problems?

I'd scrap it tbh.
Reply 5
Jack Schitt
my friends PS- what do u think

The first and last paragraphs need to be completely re-drafted. Some sentences can (and should) be omitted. You need to talk more about specific academic achievements.
Ralfskini
The first and last paragraphs need to be completely re-drafted. Some sentences can (and should) be omitted. You need to talk more about specific academic achievements.

What's with the, "my friends think I'm brilliant and perfect so it must uphold in a personal statement" idea all about?
Reply 7
Invisible
What's with the, "my friends think I'm brilliant and perfect so it must uphold in a personal statement" idea all about?

yeah i thought the last paragraph was dodgy/crap
Reply 8
Invisible

I know. That is a bad thing to put in a personal statement.

Latest

Trending

Trending