The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Most of the Ivy League schools accept transfer students, but the competition is absolutely ridiculous. For instance, this year Harvard accepted 40 transfers out of 1,100 applicants. =\
Reply 2
Brinny
Most of the Ivy League schools accept transfer students, but the competition is absolutely ridiculous. For instance, this year Harvard accepted 40 transfers out of 1,100 applicants. =\

If you transfer, would you have to take the SATs?
Orleansck
Hey does anyone know if it's possible to transfer from good uni in UK to ivy USA?

Yeah but get involved in extracurriculars and get really good grades. Make sure you make friends with a couple of professors in case you're asked for recs. It's definitely do-able, but if I was you I'd put my social priorities aside for this year.
Reply 4
westhamfan
If you transfer, would you have to take the SATs?

Yes, and also they want your secondary school grades which is brutal i think..
Yes, you can transfer from a good UK university to a good US university, although beyond the top say, five in the country, the US generally haven't heard of many of them. :rolleyes: You'll be repeating where you come from over and over.

The application process is much the same as a regular applicant; you fill out a basic form, like the common application, with supplemental essays, and the focus will be why you want to transfer. You will be required to have taken the SATS, if not the SAT IIs, and to include a high school transcript, and two references, one of which should come from your present university.

However, the rate of transfer is very low, and if you cannot afford the fees, very few universities offer financial aid to transfer students - especially international ones. You would be stuck with loans to pay for your time there.
Reply 6
cloudofcalm
However, the rate of transfer is very low, and if you cannot afford the fees, very few universities offer financial aid to transfer students - especially international ones. You would be stuck with loans to pay for your time there.

What about Harvard or MIT? Would they be able to offer good financial aid to international transfer students?
If you look at their financial aid websites then you will learn far more. Personally, I know HYP (Harvard/Yale/Princeton) offer needs-blind international financial aid whatever period entry is made. On the other hand, Stanford does not. MIT is www.mit.edu - if you look around, you'll find out. Princeton in fact, doesn't accept transfer students at all.
Reply 8
Orleansck
Hey does anyone know if it's possible to transfer from good uni in UK to ivy USA?

Yes, someone from the univ of Edinburgh transferred to Harvard and started this fall... You can't be beyond your 2nd yr in the UK though..
See the USA forum that's like TSR it's called college confidential and there are tons of postings about transferring from US colleges to IVY league unis and foreign unis to Ivy league schools.
Reply 9
Orleansck

Yes, I'm sure it is possible, but more than hundred universities (public and private) in the U.S. are ranked top 100 in the nation before UK.

http://www.arwu.org/rank/2005/ARWU2005_Top100.htm

how'd you get on with transferring??

Latest

Trending

Trending