The Student Room Group

The Persian Society (UKL Iranian Society)

Scroll to see replies

hamednhg
i thought you were an open minded person Democracy

obviously you have just made it clear what sort of person you are

i hope one day you realize that iran is an islamic republic right now and has been like that for 28 years, whether you like it or not

btw hello to all other iranians out there

Still am baby, that's why I don't support the mullahs :wink:

Iran may have been an islamic republic for 28 years (which by the way on the scale of history is nothing) but I sure as hell don't have to be open minded towards state censorship, repression, widespread human rights abuses, dictatorship, inflation, lack of women's rights, and general fundementalism.

Now you tell me, would an open minded person be fine with the above? If so they're living in an oxymoron :wink:

Personally, I'm gunning for the day that Iran becomes a free, secular democracy.
petzneo

I actually have a question about a Persian restaurant, Its my friends birthday in January and she really wants to go to a Persian restaurant, which is my fault in a way as I boasted a lot about the food and all, she wants to have the whole experience of a good Persian restaurant ( maybe some entertainment too) but not too expensive. I don't want mess it up as this is the first time for some of my friends that they are going to go to a Persian restaurant and I really want to give a good impression of us.

Oh, and it needs to be in Central London!

Hmm, in all honestly I only know two restaurants in C London, one is Apadana (which I've been to and can confirm is good). The other is Hafez which my Dad's been to and said is okay, but yeah that's it. Srry I can't help more :wink:
Reply 62
hobnob
I know of a great Persian restaurant somewhere in Germany, if that counts. Among a bunch of other nice stuff, they serve the best ice cream I've ever eaten.:biggrin:

Just reading the thread and saw you wrote this. Are you talking about the saffron icecream, the one with frozen cream on top. It is sooo nice, had it for the first time at a wedding, it is way better than the icecream here! :biggrin:

^I have heard of Apadana, is it near bayswater??
petzneo
Just reading the thread and saw you wrote this. Are you talking about the saffron icecream, the one with frozen cream on top. It is sooo nice, had it for the first time at a wedding, it is way better than the icecream here! :biggrin:

Ohh I've had that ice cream before, I think I was allergic to it though, since I erm was sick everywhere...

Has anyone here ever had Faloodeh?
Reply 64
Democracy
Ohh I've had that ice cream before, I think I was allergic to it though, since I erm was sick everywhere...

Has anyone here ever had Faloodeh?

Ahh, poor u, you missed out! Faloodeh nice, I think that the best faloodeh is the one in Iran. I tried it at some of the restaurants but they never taste that nice. Do you guys add the lemon juice to it as well?

I had an arguement with some tamils once, as they said that faloodeh was actually some cake and jelly drink:rolleyes: I proved them wrong!
petzneo
Ahh, poor u, you missed out! Faloodeh nice, I think that the best faloodeh is the one in Iran. I tried it at some of the restaurants but they never taste that nice. Do you guys add the lemon juice to it as well?

I had an arguement with some tamils once, as they said that faloodeh was actually some cake and jelly drink:rolleyes: I proved them wrong!

Lol! Yeah we do put lemon juice in it too :wink:

What do you guys think of Persian cinema? Ever watched any Iranian films? I think that most films from Iran are either very good or very bad :P
There's no need to try and sound rude.

I trust the fact that you're an agnostic leaning towards atheism doesn't have any relevance to this discussion. :smile: I think that will be all on the topic.

Back to Persian food.
farhan

I trust the fact that you're an agnostic leaning towards atheism doesn't have any relevance to this discussion. :smile:

Nah not really. The same way that you aren't actually Persian doesn't :smile:
Reply 68
how can i become a member?
im an updated iranian :wink: and can answer all your questions about iran.
yes,i also believe that political discussion should not be here,if we want to have friendship and unity in this society .
i should mention that iranian parents have added engineering to their favourite jobs,now u can be an engineer if you don't like medicines and still want to obey ur parents :wink:
i suggest u to use persian language here more,
I can't join in the discussion about persian restaurants in London, as i live in Manchester :frown:
However, there is a lovely persian restaurant in Manchester called Shiraz!
Reply 70
There is a VERY VERY good restaurant called Darvish in Leeds!!!

And guess what tops faloodeh - BASTANI MIVEYI!!!! anyone know which ones im on about?

God they are goooooooooooooooooooooood
Reply 71
Democracy
Still am baby, that's why I don't support the mullahs :wink:

Iran may have been an islamic republic for 28 years (which by the way on the scale of history is nothing) but I sure as hell don't have to be open minded towards state censorship, repression, widespread human rights abuses, dictatorship, inflation, lack of women's rights, and general fundementalism.

Now you tell me, would an open minded person be fine with the above? If so they're living in an oxymoron :wink:

Personally, I'm gunning for the day that Iran becomes a free, secular democracy.

I cannot tell you how much your view seem to have originated from BBC and American based "Iranian" satellite channels. :p:

All of the things you mention seem to have come out of "The stereotypical Western views of Iran" handbook!!!! :biggrin:

But like Petzneo said - lets not discuss politics here :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
I love faloodeh! & bastani miveyi! jeez, i'm hungry now! :frown:
hamednhg
I cannot tell you how much your view seem to have originated from BBC and American based "Iranian" satellite channels. :p:

All of the things you mention seem to have come out of "The stereotypical Western views of Iran" handbook!!!! :biggrin:

But like Petzneo said - lets not discuss politics here :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

My views are mine only and have not originated from anyone else. If you want to believe in conspiracies do that, just remember, it's always the Jews!! :rolleyes:

Your views that my views are all some sort of lie could have come out of "Khomeini's guide to being a good fundementalist(!!!)" :biggrin:

And if you really don't believe the things I've mentioned above are true you've got to take a reality check, realise that thousands of your countrymen and women are being killed, then question whether you really care enough about Iran to join a soc about it. When you realise you don't, I'm sure the Hezbollahis have a soc some place around here :wink:
Reply 74
Democracy
My views are mine only and have not originated from anyone else. If you want to believe in conspiracies do that, just remember, it's always the Jews!! :rolleyes:

Your views that my views are all some sort of lie could have come out of "Khomeini's guide to being a good fundementalist(!!!)" :biggrin:

And if you really don't believe the things I've mentioned above are true you've got to take a reality check, realise that thousands of your countrymen and women are being killed, then question whether you really care enough about Iran to join a soc about it. When you realise you don't, I'm sure the Hezbollahis have a soc some place around here :wink:

ooooooooooooooooh man i'm hurt - such an original comment your last line! :rolleyes:

your bit about me not caring about my fellow countrymen?? how many years did YOU spend living in iran?

like i said im not gonna argue about politics here because i respect what petzneo said :biggrin:
Reply 75
Thank you, yes sep you can join. I think we should start using the persian language a bit more here...
hamednhg
ooooooooooooooooh man i'm hurt - such an original comment your last line! :rolleyes:

your bit about me not caring about my fellow countrymen?? how many years did YOU spend living in iran?

like i said im not gonna argue about politics here because i respect what petzneo said :biggrin:

If you respect what she said, stop making comments about me that I can (and will) respond to :wink:

I care not for how many years you lived there, since you obviously didn't take stock of what was really going on around you. Didn't you ask yourself why you saw so many illegal sattelite dishes around, if what the mullahs are doing is right and appreciated by the people?
Reply 77
I have to say I agree with Democracy. I'm sorry but how is Iran's current regime something to be proud of?

And in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with discussing politics in this thread. I personally think its very important to be aware of your country's history and current affairs (something which I admittedly am still learning about) and what better place to discuss it than on a persian society thread? Surely then we can all learn something rather than just talk about what our favourite iranian food is and good iranian restaurants which will get boring after a while.

Politics is a fundamental part of the iranian culture (from what I have personally noticed) and to ignore it here... well as I said before, this will be a great place for iranians to discuss their opinions on their country's history. And salivate over ghormeh sabzi as well :p: mmmmm.... and must o kheeyar.
Reply 78
petzneo
Ok, guys calm down.....this society was set up to talk about Iran and commonly related Persian/Iranian stuff, not to agrue about the government and all that %%%%%%%%, you could agrue about this for so long and nothing will come out of it.

The government is a fundamental part of Iran!! How can you ignore it in a thread about it?... I'm personally interested in Hamednhg's viewpoints on the current regime. Even if we disagree I am still interested to see what makes someone think positively of the current state of affairs.

And with the bit in bold, well we may as well ignore debate and discussion on this forum then right? Though I think that even learning snippets of information would make the discussions worthwhile.

Anyway petzneo, if you really don't want to discuss politics fair enough... you did go to the effort of resurrecting the society and all!

Hmmmm I've personally only ever been to iranian restaurants a couple of times. Seems pointless when I just sit there thinking 'my mum could make this just as well :p:'. I always find that they are reeeaally expensive as well, given you know that the food isnt that impossible to make haha. I think its another sign that Iranians are very proud and want people to associate luxury with their food :biggrin:
Reply 79
Man I can't seem to stop posting here -

Right so how is everyone's farsi? Mine is not too bad.... used to be really fluent as a kid and then stopped speaking it so much at home so now its pretty rusty! And forgotten half my vocab :frown: Have to ask my dad how to translate pretty much one word in every sentence!

Quick Reply

Latest