The Student Room Group

The Persian Society (UKL Iranian Society)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140

I had no idea there were other Persians on here....I mean I assumed there would be a couple but I didn't think we'd have enough to make a society!

While I'm here, I'd just like to ask all of you, do you prefer to say you are Persian or Iranian?

Sorry if you've already been through this, I didn't actually read all eight pages of this thread!
Reply 142
Reply 143
if it is long for a thread i will erase some parts,after u read it.

and i hope u improve ur persian reading and writing piece by piece,
and I also hope sb translate some sentences of the poem above for those who can't read,if u have time,please
Reply 144
a_shot2remember
I had no idea there were other Persians on here....I mean I assumed there would be a couple but I didn't think we'd have enough to make a society!

While I'm here, I'd just like to ask all of you, do you prefer to say you are Persian or Iranian?

Sorry if you've already been through this, I didn't actually read all eight pages of this thread!

Hello a_shot2remember and khosh ooooooooomadi :smile:

Persian or Iranian we dont mind - we are all from the same nation :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Sep - dastet dard nakoooooooooooooooooone
Kheili gol kashti :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
sep

and i hope u improve ur persian reading and writing piece by piece,

Thank you sep :smile:
I really hope i do too! I bought some books from Iran in the summer, so i'm practising basic things! The only thing i can write so far is my name! But, i'm getting there :biggrin:
Reply 146
hamednhg

Persian or Iranian we dont mind - we are all from the same nation :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I agree!!

Wow, I haven't gone here for a week, I guess that a number of people had exams too. Sep, please could you translate the poems if you have time I'll love to read them. Thanks

Oh and welcome, a_shot2remember, I'll add you to the list!!!
I'd love to read the poems too :smile:

I prefer calling myself persian though, i just think it sounds nicer!
Reply 148
I know, I say I am Persian, but most of my friends call me Iranian and I can't change what they say as they are used to it! And some people get irritated when we say we are Persians.
I guess we think it sounds nicer because when we say 'Iranian' it brings with it all the political and religious stuff with it but Persian sounds more, hmmm cultured and archaic and so on because of the media portrayal of Iran.

But personally I say Iranian because I'm not really affected by the political stuff that comes with saying Im Iranian and because right now our country is called Iran, and I feel if I say Im Persian im distancing myself from the Iran of now.

There's some dispute as to whether or not all Iranians are in fact Persians? :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_minorities_in_Iran

It says: ' According to the CIA World Factbook and other Western sources, ethnicity/race in Iran breaks down as follows: Persian 51%, Azeri 24%, Gilaki and Mazandarani 8%, Kurd 7%, Arab 3%, Lur 2%, Baloch 2%, Turkmen 2%, other 1%.'

Anyway Reza Shah who made the name change in 1935 was an absolute idiot. I think he did it in some ways to appease Germany cuz Iran means 'land of aryans'. If he'd kept the name Persia we'd all be saying we're Persian but since he changed it and its called Iran now I just say im Iranian.

This is a funny clip kinda summing it up : Omid Djalili (Persia v Iran):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNc5hzinZcU
Revolutionary_Guard

Anyway Reza Shah who made the name change in 1935 was an absolute idiot. I think he did it in some ways to appease Germany cuz Iran means 'land of aryans'. If he'd kept the name Persia we'd all be saying we're Persian but since he changed it and its called Iran now I just say im Iranian.

This is a funny clip kinda summing it up : Omid Djalili (Persia v Iran):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNc5hzinZcU

Wow I had no idea the name change was so recent!! Interesting bit of info.

But yeah I say Iranian because not in a bad way but I feel that people who call themselves persian are just trying to sound cooler and more exotic than they actually are :P You are iranian get over it! hehe

ps. no offence intended
Reply 151
Hey, guys..

haven't posted in a long time...how r all of u?
I read the news for once today and saw this, seemed quite nice to hear how Iran is progressing. Here's the link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080204/wl_mideast_afp/iranspacedefence
Reply 152
Revolutionary_Guard
I guess we think it sounds nicer because when we say 'Iranian' it brings with it all the political and religious stuff with it but Persian sounds more, hmmm cultured and archaic and so on because of the media portrayal of Iran.

i agree

well,about changing the name of country i don't think so,Iran has been called"Iran" from centuries ago,u know Ferdosi the most famous peot of iran whose book Shahnameh is the most important book about ancient iran and legends about it,used the name"Iran"in his book .for example:
cho iran nabashad tane man mabad
bedin boomo bar zende yek tan nabad
according this book the word "Iran" which means "the land of arians" was used as the name of this country,
u know also arians were groups of people used to live in the north of caspian sea,some of them migrated tho india,some to iran and some to europe,the known history of iran starts from that time,3 groups of arians came to iran,named PARS,PART,MA'D.PART chose north MA'AD the west and PARS the centre of iran to live,PARS people made the famous ancient government in iran named ACHAEMENIAN and their capital city was Persepolis near the city Shiraz.and the name Persia came from the name of this group named pars
nowadays after many centuries different people with different races and religion and mixed races,live in iran as you gave some information about them,but all them certainly r called iranian,however i don't think u can find any person purely of the ancient PARS group
this is as far as i know,if im wrong u correct it
Reply 153
petzneo
Hey, guys..

haven't posted in a long time...how r all of u?
I read the news for once today and saw this, seemed quite nice to hear how Iran is progressing. Here's the link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080204/wl_mideast_afp/iranspacedefence

khosh khabar bashi petzneo:smile:
Reply 154
ahh i randomly stumbled across this thread when i was looking for some help with my french!

I'm Iranian!:biggrin:
^ Salaam :smile:
Reply 156
salam!:smile: Can't believe there are so many iranians around on here!
Man, I've only just found this forum! I can't belive I didn't know about it? anyway, Che Khabar? Has there been any political fights yet? It seems to me everytime you put Iranian men in a room with each other they start to argue about politics. And everytime you put Iranains women together they start to gossip about everything!!
I think all women start to gossip about everything when they're together. Not only Iranians women, lol ^^
Anatheme
I think all women start to gossip about everything when they're together. Not only Iranians women, lol ^^

Yep, thats true, but Iranian women do it like its a sport. If something juicy happens, every Iranian women in that city will know in the 24 hours following that event taking place. Its quite amazing. But generally Iranian women are great, Its the men that have real flaws :s-smilie:.

Quick Reply

Latest