The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

hobnob
Well, it might, if the apostrophes were properly protected...

They wouldn't want those apostrophes getting too big for their boots. First, they'll demand jobs, then it'll be equal rights and before long they'll take over the world.
What makes an Oxbridge degree better than the rest?

It turns you into someone who discusses grammar on an internet forum. Seriously, a lot of it seems to be in jest...but the number of times it happens on this forum is ridiculous!
Reply 62
Before the world take-over, the UK media will jump on the bandwagon.

"OXFORD DISCRIMINATES AGAINST APOSTROPHIC STUDENTS"

Shortly after, we'll be treated to the headline:

"OXFORD PITCHES FOR APOSTROPHIC STUDENTS"

The Guardian will do a heart-warming story on how State-educated Laura Spostrophe was rejected by Oxford, in favour of a flashier set of students, like independently-schooled semi-colons. There will be public outcry!
Opsimathmo
:rolleyes:

dude it's not arrogant.... anyone can wiggle their fingers quickly, what you're writing needs to be actual sentences, your head has to be able to keep up.... if you take a proper typing job at some point, you'll realise that your fingers will reach a point eventually where your head can't keep up....
Reply 64
bright star
dude it's not arrogant.... anyone can wiggle their fingers quickly, what you're writing needs to be actual sentences, your head has to be able to keep up.... if you take a proper typing job at some point, you'll realise that your fingers will reach a point eventually where your head can't keep up....

Works both ways. When I'm handwriting (I hate writing!) I often find that my hand can't keep up with my mind. :frown:
yeah it does but don't know about you, i type a lot faster than i write.
Reply 66
Yup, me too. Hence I said handwriting.
Reply 67
Well, you learn something new every single day. And you Oxbridge students should be ashamed, you're on holiday, read a book or take a practice exam or something. Don't waste your time creating words like apostrophic...

*tuts*
Reply 68
Actually, apostrophic was what Safari's dictionary wanted it to be! I was all for inventing the word apostrophetic, taking a similar extension to prophetic.

I see it appears to be a real word, albeit with slightly different meaning:

"of or characteristic of apostrophe; 'a passage of apostrophic grandeur'"
That mistake was catapostrophic.
Reply 70
life isnt really about where you studied. its about being an 'individual' and standing out. yes oxbridge helps, but its never a guarantee. i know people who graduated from surrey and are getting jobs before oxbridge graduates. yeah it might sound wierd, but never underestimate the significance of the 'individual'!
Reply 71
HCD
Before the world take-over, the UK media will jump on the bandwagon.

"OXFORD DISCRIMINATES AGAINST APOSTROPHIC STUDENTS"

Shortly after, we'll be treated to the headline:

"OXFORD PITCHES FOR APOSTROPHIC STUDENTS"

The Guardian will do a heart-warming story on how State-educated Laura Spostrophe was rejected by Oxford, in favour of a flashier set of students, like independently-schooled semi-colons. There will be public outcry!

"Student's", surely?:p:
flump
Did you mean write the perfect essay. Sorry if it seems picky but I am in HR and I would not be impressed with that Oxbridge student/graduate or not. That is the sort of mistake that can cost you a job in a competitive market.

Is this not a question? Sorry if it seems picky but I am a grammar Nazi, and I am unimpressed by this, HR or not.

:p:
hobnob
"Student's", surely?:p:

Err no, in this case 'students' is fine as it is a simple plural...I think. lol.
I would have thought that the main factor is that the brightest A level students, who get their pick of all the best unis, generally choose oxbridge over other universities. I doubt the teaching is substantially different from the second or third "tier" universities.
Reply 75
He didn't mean that. He meant that apostrophic students were "student's", for the sake of an apostrophe. Student's as a plural would be criminal!
DannyBoy123
Err no, in this case 'students' is fine as it is a simple plural...I think. lol.

I'm inclined to believe it was a joke. :p:
HCD
He didn't mean that. He meant that apostrophic students were "student's", for the sake of an apostrophe. Student's as a plural would be criminal!

Ooh dear...
This is getting way too confusing! lol :biggrin:
Reply 79
Empyreal Rhapsody
Is this not a question? Sorry if it seems picky but I am a grammar Nazi, and I am unimpressed by this, HR or not.

:p:

Like I said before I can relax because I have the job. I find the mistakes that immediately get picked up are confusing write and right, their, there and they're and where, were and wear. Don't know why but that is my experience. If you don't want the information you don't have to take it but when you are looking for a job you will find that it makes a difference.

Latest

Trending

Trending