The Student Room Group

pro's and con's of different medical schools.

i need to choose a medical school to go to, well 4 actual to list and go to interviews at, but i am pretty stuck.
i like the teaching styles off hull/york but my mum works there so that off the list.
i was wondering what people thought of newcastle, or indded any of the medical schools, as i need a much greater knowledge of them all before i choose. thanks guys/
Reply 1
Mmmm...

I always wonder how to answer these questions. I have only ever been taught at one medical school, I have only ever met students from half a dozen others. So not only do I know comparatively little about the whole thing, I think I'd struggle to describe it in a way that a pre-fresher would be able to understand and use for their own ends.

So, I would urge you to think in broad strokes regarding curriculum and teaching, the broader the better in fact, and to factor non-academic criteria into your selection.
Reply 2
Wasn't the deadline in october? Or are you just a really good planner? :P
ha thanks, ye well i'm going away soon, and when the application deadlines are in i won't be around, so i'm sorting it out now (as my parents are pushing me into doing) but thanks for replies so far.

i have tried to look at it in as broad a way as possible, as the above^^ says, but i know little about the cities as i have not strayed far from east yorkshire, except for to the uni's like manchester and london, which are not really my kind of place. london is an option though i suppose.

one other thing i am taking into account is that i would notlike a traditional very academicly based course such as oxford offers, but a more modern one, such as Pbl (problem based learning).....

also...i need good night life :smile::smile::smile:
Reply 4
Think about (in no particular order):
- Distance from where you live
- Whether you meet their minimum criteria
- If you'd like to go to a campus or city-based uni
- Social life/night life
- Whether you'd suit a more PBL or lecture-based course
- Whether you'd like an integrated (meeting patients early on) approach or not
- Whether you'd like to intercalate (compulsory at some places, optional at others, only available to a few at others)
- Entrance exams: are you prepared to take the BMAT?
- London or non-London?

(The TSR wiki has info on the different med schools. I also used a book called The Insider's Guide to UK Medical Schools which was quite helpful.)

Cut it down to a few you like the look of. Go to a few open days to get a feel of where you'd rather be for 5/6 years. Cut down further. And there you have it, your 4 choices :smile:
Reply 5
fhendo
i need to choose a medical school to go to, well 4 actual to list and go to interviews at, but i am pretty stuck.
i like the teaching styles off hull/york but my mum works there so that off the list.
i was wondering what people thought of newcastle, or indded any of the medical schools, as i need a much greater knowledge of them all before i choose. thanks guys/

Well I applied this year and am from Yorkshire so I may be of help in the Yorkshire-ian perspective
I would personaly recommend Newcastle (and i have applied there) because it has system based learning which isn't as problem after problem after problem as PBL, and neither is it lecture after lecture like the traditional teaching style. It's a combination of both which I think is VERY VERY good and having spoken to Med students there, they love the mixture SBL provides them.
Also Newcastle has an AMAZING night life and it is one of those places where EVERONE is friendly to you whoever you are!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 6
hamednhg
Well I applied this year and am from Yorkshire so I may be of help in the Yorkshire-ian perspective
I would personaly recommend Newcastle (and i have applied there) because it has system based learning which isn't as problem after problem after problem as PBL, and neither is it lecture after lecture like the traditional teaching style. It's a combination of both which I think is VERY VERY good and having spoken to Med students there, they love the mixture SBL provides them.
Also Newcastle has an AMAZING night life and it is one of those places where EVERONE is friendly to you whoever you are!!!! :biggrin:
:rolleyes:
hamednhg

what the actual ****??
Reply 8
wot did i say ?????? :s-smilie:
Reply 9
You provided a limited and firmly biased view on the qualities of a medical school without being a medical student or indeed having a clue what you're talking about, hardly helpful, is it?
Reply 10
:frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:
ok i own up
i was only trying to get people to go to Newcastle cuz i loooooooooooooooove it :biggrin:
Awww.

Systems-based learning isn't an intermediate between PBL and traditional. It's an entirely separate classification of learning all together

eg. UCL is both traditional (in that it's mainly lecture-based) and systems-based (teaching is based on the systems of the body, eg. cardiovascular/breathing, reproductive)

Belfast is traditional and subject-based (where you are taught the individual subjects like physiology and anatomy in isolation)
thanks guys, and thanks for your help hamednhg.

well i have decided on what is best for me in terms of cities, closeness to home, the social life etcetc but now i really do need to cut it down further. I think it is most important now for me to choose a teaching style that will suit me. i looked into Pbl alot, but it is not clear other than hull/york who operates this kind of teaching well.

Sbl sounds interesting, and i will have to look into that some more.

Basically, i am not the kind of person who can sit through a lecture and pick things up, i would be an awful learner that way, so a less traditional course may suit me.

thanks for your help thus far,
I sincerely hope you haven't picked up that SBL is an intermediate between the PBL and traditional styles of teaching! It's a totally different concept!!!!

In terms of PBL, most courses offer some element of it but at some institutions this might just be now and again whereas elsewhere will depend much more heavily on it. Manchester and Barts are quite heavily into it I understand. Other places are too...it's all in the TSR wiki page on Medicine.
Reply 14
becca2389
Manchester and Barts are quite heavily into it I understand. Other places are too...it's all in the TSR wiki page on Medicine.
I think PBL makes up a comparatively small fraction of our teaching time overall, it's even binned after 3rd year.
Reply 15
If you like PBL, then Liverpool, St. Georges, Peninsula etc are good ones. Buy this book, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Insiders-Guide-UK-Medical-Schools/dp/1405157488/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198072524&sr=8-1 I used it loads when choosing which open days to attend, and then got my 4 from my impressions of the open day.
Reply 16
AWZC
If you like PBL, then Liverpool, St. Georges, Peninsula etc are good ones.
So what happens if you're one of the vast majority of applicants with no experience of PBL (or one of the slightly smaller majority with no experience of lectures or PBL)?
I think it depends on you tbh. I now think I would be better with a systems based way of teaching/ integrated (I dont like using buzz words but I think I would be better suited to that than PBL)

I like self study, but I want that bit of support too, to make sure Im on the right track. But you may prefer PBL

Keele is a good medical school but its too close to home and so I didnt apply there. So location too. I did look at the soc's/surrounding area of the university...i.e I didnt apply to Durham because Ive heard that Stockton on Tees isnt as nice as durham city campus.

As everyone saying, just like at it in a broad scope.
Reply 18
It is my opinion that Manchester Medical School, and PBL are absolutely atrocious and should be avoided at ALL costs.

This is of course entirely my opinion, i'm sure you'll find plenty of people who will say the opposite. Perhaps even on TSR.
Reply 19
Daveo
It is my opinion that Manchester Medical School, and PBL are absolutely atrocious and should be avoided at ALL costs.

This is of course entirely my opinion, i'm sure you'll find plenty of people who will say the opposite. Perhaps even on TSR.

:biggrin:

Then again, haven't any experience of medicine being taught any other way, but PBL works ok for me by and large

Latest

Trending

Trending