The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Aww, thank you :smile:
AMummy
I am a mum of someone also waiting for a letter. I had to register to say this to all of you ...

You have done brilliantly to put yourself out on a limb and have a go. I admire people who enter a marathon and don't make the finishing line or climb a mountain and don't make the summit. Getting to Cambridge is not the be all and end all - you have all tried to do something that many people are too timid to attempt.

I'm proud of my child and I'm proud of all of you - have a mummy hug!

Aw, how sweet of you! :smile:
we like mummy hugs
Reply 83
I've conditioned myself for a rejection so I wouldn't be too devastated. Like Kay_oh_dee I'd pick up my LSE offer pack and look through accomodation :smile:
Some of your guys, I feel are taking the Cambridge rejection too far.

You, Rudrax have an offer from LSE as almost an 'insurance', and kay_oh_dee has KCL as a 'backup'.

Think of people like me who have been rejected by LSE, UCL, KCL and realise how much is riding on THAT letter on Jan 3rd. If I dont get in which is more than likely, then I will have a big problem. That is what pressure is like and is why I havent been sleeping good.

The realisation that you are not good enough and that no one wants you... It is a horrible feeling :frown:
Reply 85
warioland3
The realisation that you are not good enough and that no one wants you... It is a horrible feeling

Don't take it so personally. It's almost certainly not the case that you're "not good enough" -- more likely that just one or two parts of your application aren't quite right. You'll be alright, whatever Cambridge decides. :smile:

AMummy
I am a mum of someone also waiting for a letter. I had to register to say this to all of you ...

You have done brilliantly to put yourself out on a limb and have a go. I admire people who enter a marathon and don't make the finishing line or climb a mountain and don't make the summit. Getting to Cambridge is not the be all and end all - you have all tried to do something that many people are too timid to attempt.

That's really lovely! :smile:
I wish I shared your optimism. I think my interviews were ok overall; first was great I clicked really well understood the logic reasoning great, second was dodgy they wanted to see how well my brain could adapt using the logic given. I got bits wrong but I hope they though I had the ability to work it through with them. Really nice people though (even the second interview lol).

Thanks for the cheering up and lets just hope I can post myself in the "rejected by LSE/UCL and got into Oxbridge thread" :smile:
Reply 87
warioland3
I wish I shared your optimism.

No, you WILL be alright, regardless of Cambridge's decision. Things don't always have to work out when you want them to work out, for them to be okay in the end. So, think positive (if not necessarily about the Cam letter!).
I'd watch a movie then review it on my movie blog.

Oh wait, that's what I do every day. :wink:

I'd probably eat a bit of chocolate, then sit around twiddling my thumbs to hear from LSE and Imperial.

To be honest, I thought it was all over after I sat my ASes and that due to my exam performance I hadn't gotten any As, and that would have meant I couldn't apply to any of my top 5 Unis. That I got As and was even in contention for cambridge is a huge relief and I'm grateful. :smile:
AMummy

Awww. Thanks for the hug! I wish my mom would be so supportive. My parents think I won't get in and that it wasn't worth applying. In fact, I get the feeling they don't want me to get in because they would have to worry about the costs (I'm an international student; but I've told them I'm only going there if I get a scholarship from somewhere).

Anyway, the rejection letter will be here anyday now. Hopefully my local choices don't reject me as well.
TheMagician
My parents think I won't get in and that it wasn't worth applying.

haha - my parents are the opposite - they've been having more nightmares than me about the dreaded letter. if/when i don't get into cambridge is not a possibility for them - so it's going to be a fun day on 3rd jan :biggrin: :confused: :s-smilie: :confused: :s-smilie:
lol on interview day, my mother was visibly more nervous than i was...i had to tell her to calm down!
I'm just wondering what TRACK says if you are rejected , from any university. In place of ''conditional'' does it read ''unsuccessful'' or something like that? Only, ''rejected'' sounds a bit silly.
Reply 93
yeah it says unsuccessful
Reply 94
Yes, it's something like "unsuccessful". "Rejected" is a horrible word. (Though it serves a certain purpose).
Reply 95
It does read "Unsuccessful". And I think it does sound stupid. "Denied" or "Rejected" would look better (in my opinion at least) :biggrin: .
Reply 96
"Loser" would work...

(Joke, joke! :rolleyes: )
Reply 97
No, I'm actually serious.

You have been unsuccessful.

But:

We have rejected you.
We have denied you a place at XY College.

Therefore, "Unsuccessful" is quite more horrible :p: .
Reply 98
Y__
No, I'm actually serious.

You have been unsuccessful.

But:

We have rejected you.
We have denied you a place at XY College.

Therefore, "Unsuccessful" is quite more horrible :p: .

It could just as easily be 'you are rejected/denied'. Ah, it would be so much easier if English had a proper case system, wouldn't it? :p:
Reply 99
I suppose you have a point there, but in order to defend mine, I can't think of a way to make being unsuccessful an action done by someone else rather than a state you'd find yourself in.

Concerning the case system, which language has it? Every language that has active and passive forms would have the same "problem" we're facing here :biggrin: .

Latest

Trending

Trending