The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think it's probably a combination of those factors. Neither of my parents went to university but I suspect I would have been laughed at if I'd tried to apply via special access :biggrin: (I went to a good school so wasn't exactly disadvantaged...)

It might be worth looking at special access in your case however because it sounds like you probably do have a case for it. If you've got the drive to come to Cambridge and you're really enthusiastic about your subject, I can't see why you shouldn't apply :smile:
Cellardore
i would say apply. there's a girl in my year who got AACC (getting the C's re-merked to a B) She did Maths, Theatre Studies, English lit. and Geography. She went to Oxbridge open day and they told her grades and subjects were good enough to apply. (She's going to be doing law btw)
so give it a try!

p.s do they accept peole who are doing re-takes at AS or is that a big no-no?

how does she know she's getting the Cs remarled to a B?
Reply 22
I know an historian with ABBC at A-level, but she went to a pretty shocking school which didn't help her at all and left her to teach herself most of the A-level courses.

There is also a lawyer who got ABB because of important rugby matches around the time of his exams and was given some slack by college.

I've lost the bit of paper I was given about colleges good on access (thank goodness this year's Target talks are over!) but I do remember that Jesus was one with almost 60% state school intake and was therefore considered decent for access. Why don't you contact their admissions director and ask whether you think you've got a good enough chance? It won't guarantee you a place but at least you can explain your situation and she can be honest with you. Their Arts tutor is Mrs Shailaja Fennell - her phone number is on the Jesus website.

Latest

Trending

Trending