The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Good bloke
You seriously misunderstand what being in the army is all about. Picture the scene:

And you seriously misunderstand the selection process.
Reply 21
djmarkmclachlan
And you seriously misunderstand the selection process.

I've tried to do the bleep test in the wet/rain on grass, and it really isnt possible. I got to 5 before I started falling all over the shop.
Reply 22
Why do you think they use wets for racing in the rain? Because the surface used has exponential variances in our results.
Touchy, eh?

djmarkmclachlan
I thought Mark9 was applying for the RAF?

It doesn't much matter, does it, which service he is intending to join? Though he did respond to my first question in a way that seemed to indicate it was the army.

djmarkmclachlan
Totally dragging this one on and exaggerating on all fronts here...

I haven't exaggerated anything. I have merely highlighted the folly of joining the services if you have a over-nervous attitude to your personal safety and comfort.

djmarkmclachlan
Fact is, Mark9 is making a good call by training for the beep test - in an appropriate surrounding. Even if it was summer, it is still advisable that you should train indoors - since you'll be doing it for real INDOORS.

The fact is that he is not making a good call by specifically training for the beep test at all. It is merely measuring tool. He would do far better to follow a balanced, graduated fitness programme (involving different activities) which will improve his fitness and also allow him to pass the test into the bargain. Training for one test could easily leave him with a problem when it comes to other activities.
Reply 24
Just to clarify a few things -

I am in my mid twenties and applying for the RAF. I am currently in the TA, which I will obviously leave if I get in. If I do not get in I intend to continue in the TA.

I believe that I have a sound if unspectacular overall level of fitness for someone of my age and build. I am 6'2 tall and weigh 16 stone 7, I regularly go medium distance running at a reasonable pace and can go for several miles before I start to have any real problems. I used to do lots of weights but have cut this down to one or twice a week as I felt that I was becoming top heavy.

I did an indoor bleep test and managed 11.1 on the 15m tape over 15m distance.

This morning I managed 11.2 on the 20m tape over 20m distance. I missed out two shuttle runs on level 9 when a train went by making a lot of noise and I didn't hear the beep, but I suspect that this had minimal impact on the overall result. I rejoined the test at the next bleep and continued to 11.2. Even if you deduct one or two shuttles for the train this is still a credible result.

The RAF want 9.10 from me, up from the 9.4 that they used to want. The TA want 10.2. I conclude that there are no significant differences in difficulty between the 15m and 20m tests. I found the latter slightly harder, but I attribute this to the fact that I was doing it shortly after getting up and by myself; when I do the 15m test I do it around 5pm and with other people which seems to make it easier.

My pressups are good and I don't imagine that I will have any problems meeting the required level for RAF entry, likewise with situps.

I don't see how you can compare a bleep test to the Normandy landings.

Likewise I can't believe that Good Bloke thinks that training for the bleep test is NOT a good call. As mentioned I already have a half decent level of fitness but have never really done the bleep test before. By doing the bleep test once or twice a week I am conditioning myself for it both physically and mentally. Half the challenge is the mental toughness; the ability to push yourself for a few more shuttles when it really starts to bite. If I can go into a bleep test knowing that I can hit 11.0 without any problems then I am half way there before I have even started running - even if I had a complete disaster on the day I would probably still make early 10s. Apparently people tend to perform slightly better when the bleep is done in a large group, so theoretically I have nothing to worry about!
Mark9

I don't see how you can compare a bleep test to the Normandy landings.

I didn't. Not even close. I drew attention to what the army might be like if everyone in it paid as much attention as you to personal safety and comfort. :rolleyes:

You guys take things way too seriously.
Reply 26
Good bloke

I haven't exaggerated anything. I have merely highlighted the folly of joining the services if you have a over-nervous attitude to your personal safety and comfort.

And on what grounds do you assume you can argue who is too nervous to join our services? Excatly who are you to say who is over-nervous? And exactly what have you done to serve our majesty's forces? Talking a good game on TSR doesn't go too far, mate.

And I'm not touchy, you're just annoying. Go be pedantic elsewhere. Elsewhere that you have a clue about what you're talking about...
Reply 27
Good bloke
The fact is that he is not making a good call by specifically training for the beep test at all. It is merely measuring tool. He would do far better to follow a balanced, graduated fitness programme (involving different activities) which will improve his fitness and also allow him to pass the test into the bargain. Training for one test could easily leave him with a problem when it comes to other activities.

Yeah, also, the beep test is something which you should train for. I used to run for my county, yet I did a beep test, around the same time, and I did terribly. Gaining a good pass on the beep test shows a lot to the board, of your overall ability and commitment/ effort. Should you train for it; increasing your stamina in advance, then give it 100 per cent, you'll do a load better than going running and giving it 100, that's just obvious.
Please could someone confirm whether the RAF use the 15m bleep test or do they use 20m???
Ruhr_Phantom
Please could someone confirm whether the RAF use the 15m bleep test or do they use 20m???

It's 20m.
Reply 30
Captainusa
It's 20m.

In a boiling hot gym :biggrin:
Reply 31
Quiet_Mason
In a boiling hot gym :biggrin:

not for the IOTFA, its done in the Salton's Sports Centre next to the pool which is nice and cool :smile:

Some of you guys are being really a bit too anal about all this, its done over 20m. Doing it outside is utterly useless. If you want to gain your fitness for the bleep test then run. You'll be killing 2 birds with one stone, you'll gain fitness for your the bleep test and have a possible heads up for when you might start IOT and have to do the 1.5 mile run in less than 10 minute 30 seconds to be in the green. Thats done around the fields behind CHOM, so make sure you're ready.
Dagowly
not for the IOTFA, its done in the Salton's Sports Centre next to the pool which is nice and cool :smile:

Some of you guys are being really a bit too anal about all this, its done over 20m. Doing it outside is utterly useless. If you want to gain your fitness for the bleep test then run. You'll be killing 2 birds with one stone, you'll gain fitness for your the bleep test and have a possible heads up for when you might start IOT and have to do the 1.5 mile run in less than 10 minute 30 seconds to be in the green. Thats done around the fields behind CHOM, so make sure you're ready.

What happens if you don't achieve that target?
Reply 33
Captainusa
What happens if you don't achieve that target?

for the 1.5 mile?? then you best pull your thumb out in the PEd sessions during the course and get fit enough for the second IOTFA during week 5. But trust me, they REALLY grill you during Battle PT to make sure you're fit.
Does anyone know where I can obtain a copy of the 20m bleep test?? I only have the 15m one, but really would like to try the 20m so get used to the format, prepare, prepare, prepare and all that!! :biggrin:
Reply 35
Just uploaded it for you:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HUYGYKIP

Have fun!
Many Thanks!!
hahah, hoofing thread!
Reply 38
The 20m is slightly easier because there are less turns and stopping.
Original post by Joeyg67
The 20m is slightly easier because there are less turns and stopping.

This was over 10 years ago.

Latest