The Student Room Group

Uni choices for Comp Science with these grades

I have:

BTEC ND IT practitioners software dev - DDD

And I'm doing AS maths this year.

I would like to study Computer Science (a sandwich course would be preferable), but as you can see I don't/won't have A level maths, only AS. I wish I had been told it would be a good idea to do maths while doing my BTEC, but theres not much I can do about it now.

So far I'm thinking

Durham
Bath
Birmingham

Any other suggestions? I have contacted Warwick, York, Edinburgh, Bristol and a few others but they say I would need A2 maths. Would it be worth trying one of those on the off chance anyway do you think?

It would be a waste of a choice if you have already received confirmation that A2 maths is necessary. They are very unlikely to budge on that - it is very common at the better computer science courses - and I believe that includes Bath.
Reply 2
Not sure about Birmingham either, my friend applied with the same DDD and without AS maths. They rejected him for Computer science and offered him a place on somthing like "interactive systems" which he didn't want to do.
Reply 3
if you're doing the AS this year, have you considered taking a year out and finishing the full A-level?
Reply 4
anyway, yes, the top Universities will probably mostly require A2 maths. For a lot of other universities, though, it won't be necessary. Newcastle only requires maths at GCSE, for example. I can't think of any more off the top of my head but I know they exist :smile:
Often the requirement for specific subjects at A-level only applies to A-level students so you should look into it further than just looking on the website (which it sounds like you're doing). For the universities you've rang up, I wouldn't bother replying if they've told you they don't consider applicants without maths A2.
Reply 5
I'm currently doing the BTEC National Diploma and have no AS/A2 maths. I've applied to Bath/Kent/KCL/Sussex/Swansea. I've got an offer from KCL (Distinction in all modules), interview at Kent, assessment at Bath and offers from Sussex/Swansea.
Reply 6
Thanks for the replies all :smile:

Just to clarify, I am currently taking a year out at the moment. AS maths is the only thing I'm doing currently, apart from a a bit of work and looking for another job. I don't really want to leave it for another year as I'm psyched up to go next year, and TBH there's nothing keeping me here. I was originally attemping to the full a level in one year but my tutor strongly advised against, as it was too much work.

I have rang up bath and emailed them but the admissions tutor is away until the new year. I have been in contact with the CS dept from Durham and they said they would need to interview me, same for Birmingham. I have also emailed various other sstating my qualifications, Lancaster and St Andrewsfor example who say I would be OK to apply with what I currently have.

If anyone else has anything to add, please do :smile:
Reply 7
Exopaladin
I'm currently doing the BTEC National Diploma and have no AS/A2 maths. I've applied to Bath/Kent/KCL/Sussex/Swansea. I've got an offer from KCL (Distinction in all modules), interview at Kent, assessment at Bath and offers from Sussex/Swansea.

Distinction in modules is pretty tought... They didn't mention unit marks in my offer, although I did a-level maths and further maths as well.
Reply 8
Yeah, it's a tad annoying getting that offer, I screwed up one module last year as the tutor for that module was useless. I'm hoping that either KCL will be somewhat flexible (I got all distinctions aside from BIS, I intend to get all distinctions this year), or that I can resubmit my BIS assignments.
5kuzgib
Durham and they said they would need to interview me

If they make you an offer then the interview is usually just to force you to come to Durham and look around. I didn't do A/AS level Maths, despite it being highly recommended for the Computer Science course. You just have to do a maths module in your first year (which is quite easy and enjoyable).
Reply 10
Thanks for the replies :smile:
Reply 11
Bump for any further reccomendations :wink:
Sheffield do a foundation year in which you do an equivalent of A level maths. And as an extra point, all the guys who did the foundation year are finding this year a lot easier than the rest of us, who actually have to work occasionally.
kent is good
Reply 14
I applied yesterday to the Unis in my sig, but thanks anyway :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending