The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I know that in a lot of psychology training programmes (for clinical etc -doctorate level programmes) they require a 2:1 in your degree OR a very good masters - however, I think even with a good masters you might be at a disadvantage and it may take more experience or more other supporting evidence in your application to get you a place. Redoing a degree is a big investment - I think in the long run it's better to do a masters and put everything into that as at least it's a progression education-wise and it will help in the long run.
Reply 2
This notion of uni's only going for graduates with a 2:1 or better is rubbish IMO. Yes the top 10-ish uni's will require a 2:1 but depending on prior experience etc you can still apply with a 2:2.
Of the 6 uni's i applied for 2 yrs ago for a masters i got accepted by all of them even thou i had a 3rd. Be it they were'nt the top uni's but most were are in the top 20 but because i had good work experience i was quite successful.
Reply 3
Johnni
This notion of uni's only going for graduates with a 2:1 or better is rubbish IMO. Yes the top 10-ish uni's will require a 2:1 but depending on prior experience etc you can still apply with a 2:2.
Of the 6 uni's i applied for 2 yrs ago for a masters i got accepted by all of them even thou i had a 3rd. Be it they were'nt the top uni's but most were are in the top 20 but because i had good work experience i was quite successful.

I was going more for the notion of graduate jobs being focused on those with 2.1's and if you neglect to have that be it having a 2.2 or a third, would it be better to re-do your degree or get a masters and which would give you a better chance at graduate schemes.
Reply 4
I think if you have a masters employers will be more interested in the masters than the undergrad as usually the masters subject will be more relevant to the job your after.
I hope that anyway cos i got a 3rd lol
Reply 5
Most graduate schemes also take importance on if its a 1st degree or not - so taking a 2nd degree, or masters, to fix a 2:2 is kind of a waste.

I think if you have a masters employers will be more interested in the masters than the undergrad as usually the masters subject will be more relevant to the job your after.

This is misleading, most grad jobs don't need a masters - so unless its the few which do (usually industry), it won't help your application by anything measurable - in that it won't make the difference of being accepted/rejected. 2:2 is what will count still. Also, any masters worthwhile usually requires 2:1 to begin with.

The choices are then - Get into jobs/schemes which accept 2:2, or work your way up the ladder.
Reply 6
what is a 2:1 or 2:2? what is the best you can get in university? i'm an a level student right now...:smile:
Reply 8
thanks fblade!

Latest

Trending

Trending