The Student Room Group
Mark9
What is the difference betwen IOT Officer Cadet and Student Officer?

From what I have been told I think that the former is a school leaver and the latter is someone with a degree. I am also told that the latter holds the rank of acting pilot officer during IOT and gets promoted straight to flying officer once they pass out of Cranwell.

Any ideas?

I am pretty sure that if you have a degree when you pass out of Cranwell you then get your flying officer rank, if you don't then you will be a pilot officer.

Not sure about the difference between, IOT Officer Cadet and Student Officer.
Reply 2
My interpretation is that graduates are commissioned as an acting Pilot Officer from the day they start Cranwell and have to complete IOT to retain their commission wherby they get promoted to Flying Officer. Non-graduates do not receive a commission until they pass out of Cranwell, but I might be wrong!
Reply 3
Right, previously on IOT (prior to IOT 3, not sure how far back) if you had a degree your rank on course was Student Officer, if you didn't it was Officer Cadet. Now everyone is an Officer Cadet.

You actually get the promotion to Flying Offcer after 6 months if you have a degree, that means you get the rank and the pay rise part way through IOT, even if you fail decisive edge or are recoursed for attitude at the end of a term.
Ok I stand to be corrected, interesting though!!
Reply 5
It used to be at the end of IOT you got flying officer because IOT used to only be 6 months long so Ruhr_Phantom you weren't really wrong. It's the new style course that's messed things up.
Reply 6
There's a lot more to it than that though. Been mentioned before, in detail - have a blast of the search function. Was posted at ength by Wzz. It's dependant on what you sign up as, what your degree is in and what level. All to do with pay and whatnot, too.
Yup such as if you have a Masters, PHD you will get Flt Lt pretty fast. There is a massive post on it by Wzz somewhere as DJ says.
Reply 8
Im an officer cadet as i am a student at uni and im in the UAS. ive never heard of a student officer before. senior students on the UAS are commitioned and hold the rank acting PO.
UASs are different in the fact that they only have 'Officer Cadets' and yes, APOs (VR). On IOT, there used to be 2 ranks - Student Officer (university graduate cadets) and Officer cadets (non-graduates). Not sure what ex-rankers used to be (think it depended on previous service length etc. but it doesn't even matter anymore as everyone is an Officer Cadet on IOT.

Latest