The Student Room Group

Negotiating Pay

I thought I was wise in the world of employment, but I've never really come across this before, so here goes...

When you apply for a job, you know a rough sort of pay.

During the interview stages, you negotiate and agree on a wage.

Now, when HR phone you up to offer you the job...and they start to renegotiate upwards what does this mean? I thought you'd already negotiated the wage....Is this fairly normal/standard and if so whats the whole point in the interview stage renumeration negotiations?

eg. I apply for a job 35-45k
negotiate at interview to 38.5k
now, when hr calls they ask several times if I'm happy with the wage, and eventually we negotiate it up to 40k. They send out the contracts and we're all happy...
I'm just guessing here but is it incase you had other interviews and other job offers during that time? They negotiate in the interview so they still have a bit extra to give when they come to phone you and they give you extra to make sure you accept that job over others.
Reply 2
If they said they were prepared to pay 45k as it said in the advert, they expect people to negotiate for the 45k.
Reply 3
i think they expect very qualified people to negotiate up to 45k :p: ...
maybe the OP just has exceptional qualities that they are looking for.
If there is such a broad range i imagine they dotn actually give that much unless you are the dogs balls or you meet certain tagrets.

Latest

Trending

Trending