The Student Room Group

6 month or 1 year gap year?

Hey guys,

Here is a novel question for you.

I have a training contract (solicitor's job) coming up soon, but due to the way I have applied, I have the choice between choosing a 6 month gap or a 1 year gap. I intend to spend most of this time travelling.

What would you recommend I do? The person I am travelling with is likely to want to do some volunteered work as we shoot round the globe. Is 6 months enough time to do this?

Funding is not really an issue - it will be on a bank loan, but I'm not too concerned about the repayments. I'll get there eventually.

Any advice or experience will be greatly received.

Thanks,

Jason
Reply 1
You have a training contract and you're in your first year? Woah.

The answer's simple - if you have the time and the money, take a year. Without shadow of a doubt.

Tx
Reply 2
Cheers for that.

Lol.. I'm actually a third year. It's been a while since I have been on TSR.

Jason
Reply 3
Ooh if you've got the opportunity to take a year - then take it!! :smile: Get as much out of your globe trotting as you can!
Reply 4
Hmm. What I would do is actually sit down and write a list of things you want to do and how long you want to spend doing it. If you can only think of 6 months worth of stuff, then you don't want to waste the other 6 months doing things your heart isn't really in, and you'll probably end up making yourself unhappy and feeling like you need to move on. If however, you've got 12 months filled, take them. A whole year wandering the globe is a pretty tall order, particuarly if you're doing it with just one other person, so make sure you're not doing it just because it's longer, or whatever. But, of course, if it's what you want to do, you'll get more out of it. At the end of the day, it's your choice.

And sure, you could do plenty of short volunteering projects in 6 months. Although you could do more in 12 months, of course.
Whole year.

More time for travelling, no pressure, and you can have a few weeks of lying in bed at home. :biggrin:

Latest