The Student Room Group

Good Idea For The Gap Year Forum?

I've got an idea for this room, I'm just not sure if it'll work, so I'll ask your opinions first.
I (or someone else) could create an A-Z Country thread, where everyone who's been in a foreign country for his/her gap year (or any other reason) could write a small description and opinion about that country.

For example, if anyone want's to go to Spain for their gap year, they could look at my description on Spain (I'll write an example as a reply to this thread)...

We can talk about the structure and other details if people agree...

This would be a rough example:
Reply 1
Southern Spain:

I have been living in Spain for almost half my life.
The weather is great; almost always sunny, dry, but rains more than most people believe. Rain is very frequent in the North of Spain.
The best thing about Spain is the public attitude; everyone is nice. No matter how much fault you have in a car crash, everyone will be nice and worrying, specially in the towns.
The worst part of Spain is the burocracy; there is a lot of paperwork, the education system is really pathetic, etc. But this will only affect you if you go there to live.
There is a lot of tourism, and you can almost certainly find an English speaking person if you are in an emergency.
There aren't many social differences from Britain, just a few details; to say hello to girls you give her a kiss on each cheek, you shake hands with guys. The humour is a bit basic (laugh if someone falls, for example). The music is basically rap and spanish "Reggaeton", no rock at all.
I really recomend Spain, it's a great place to visit, specially the southern coast.
Reply 2
I have been living in Britain for 18 years, 1 month, 3 days and 22 hours
Weather sucks. Rain and more rain with the odd heatwave in June/July.
The best thing about Britain is the great tv we have here. Get sky and you would never want to leave the house.
The worst part of Spain is the muggings. It seems you cannot walk around the street with your phone or ipod in your ear .
If ur foreign over here, you are screwed. Basic languages spoken here is english but now also Polish.
The music here is pretty wide ranging. Rock in nearly the whole of england then you have rap in the centre of London
I wouldn't recommend London if you are broke. Pretty expensive place to survive in. But the nighlife is amazing in central london and if you really like getting hammered then England is the place to you.
The idea sounds fantastic to me. It'd be a wiki/Sticky thing though wouldn't it?
Reply 4
Oooor, we could just use the Wiki Gap Year thingybob...

Bummer :flute: Sorry peeps...

Latest