The Student Room Group

Monsoon Help...

Hiya. Im due to do my A Level Geography test on Monday 7th January.
On my course - it states that I must know the formation of both Summer and Winter Monsoons in Asia. This question has not come up in 3 years - so it is very likely that it will come up in 2 weeks and i wan't to revise it inside out if that makes sense.

I have a brief understanding of what causes the two different types of Monsoon's, but im reading so much material from different sources that im getting confused.

A Monsoon is described as a seasonal prevaling wind.
A Monsoon is caused by massive temperature inversions between land and sea
The Asian Summer and Winter Monsoons in areas such as Bangladesh and India are fueld by a large landmass (South Asia; Bangladesh, India) and a large ocean (Indian Ocean)

SW SUMMER MONSOON (ASIA)
-Occur from June-November
-ITCZ Moves NORTHWARDS heating up the large land mass of Southern Asia creating a LOW pressure system over India, Bangladesh as the less dense air rises over time (land heats up quicker than ocean)
-Meanwhile; a HIGH pressure system is created in the large Indian Ocean as the air is much cooler and denser
-This creates a temperature inversion and the difference in pressure creates a pressure gradient.
-To maintain energy balance; Winds are drawn from the HIGH pressure situated in Indian Ocean towards SW Asia where the LOW pressure is situated.
-Winds crossing Indian Ocean and Bay of Bengal become moisture laden and produce large amounts of rainfall when they reach landmass
-Himalayas acts as a block on the seasonal shift of pressure belts towards the poles. Rain clouds moving in from the SW have to rise up and decent over the Himalayas allowing LOW pressure to build rapidly to trigger the onset of the monsoon.

NE WINTER MONSOON (ASIA)
- ITCZ moves southwards during months of November to May. Land loses heat quicker than ocean.
- This produces a HIGH pressure system over central Asia as temperatures plummet and the air becomes cool and dense
- At the same time - a LOW pressure system develops over Northern Australia creating a different pressure gradient.
- A reversal of winds occurs drawing NE winds out from HIGH pressure over Asia. After crossing subcontinent these winds curve under influence of corollas force to become NW as they cross equator,
- Continental land air ensures air is dry, dry air stream

** I made the above as a revision guide from what I understand. Is the above correct? **

Latest

Trending

Trending