The Student Room Group
Reply 1
MRLX69
I wanna take a maths degree but i hate stats but love pure and mechanics... and suggestions? Does maths and economics contain lots of stats? I could probably do it if I really have too...

i think economics is mainly pure maths (read mathematics for economists)
Reply 2
I understood from my friend who's doing Ecomonics that although some Pure is required, Economics is primarily focused more on stats.

I believe that some Universities allow you to chose modules that you take in Maths and thus you could just chose to take Pure and Mechanics. Additionally, some Uni's offer "Pure Maths" or "Applied Maths" courses. Your best bet is to contact different universities/flick through their prospectuses and see what their course content is.

Hope that helps!
Reply 3
Econ is mainly stats.There's some integration and differentiation involved but thats as far as it goes. If u do the combination of maths&econ, there will be quite a lot of pure involved but do expect quite a lot of stats in the econ part of the course.It also depends what uni u wanna go to cos the structure of the same course at different unis varies significantly, some involve more stats than others.
BTW I'll be doing econ&stats :smile: .I did both maths and further maths at A-level and stats has always been my least favourite :smile: I wanted to do maths&econ or econometrics but the uni I wanted to go to didnt do this course so I chose econ&stats instead :smile:

anyway good luck :smile:
Reply 4
sorry I kinda overdid with the smily faces :redface:
Reply 5
MRLX69
I wanna take a maths degree but i hate stats but love pure and mechanics... and suggestions? Does maths and economics contain lots of stats? I could probably do it if I really have too...

yes unfortunatly, u'd have to do alot of stats for that course. U start with some pure in the first and 2nd year but it mainly contains statistical techniques which are used to test economic theories (i.e. Econometrics and Mathematical Economics)
Reply 6
Most maths degrees require you to take some statistics (not necessarily a bad thing to know mind you), but not all. I'm starting in Reading soon where you can take stats in first year if you wish but there's no compulsory statistics. Plenty of good pure and applied options though.

http://www.rdg.ac.uk/ug/courses/154.html

Latest