The Student Room Group

Triple Award Science Revision...

Hi,

I'm currently revising for my mocks which are due to start on the 9th of January, and I was realizing how unprepared I am for my science GCSEs.

We were informed at the beginning of this year that we would instead be taking the triple award edexcel science exams rather than the double award, which was very annoying for us because we were nowhere near the end of the syllabus and we now had so much new stuff to study.

Anyways, first of all, could someone provide for me the links to the three specifications for physics, biology and chemistry?

And I was also curious to know what books (other than CGP) you are using for revision. For all three sciences, I'm using the "For You" books (i.e. Chemistry For You, Biology For You etc...). I'm not sure if they cover everything we need. Are there any other good books for the triple award?

In addition, I'll now have to take the practical paper in substitution of the coursework (not only did the teachers inform us of being able to do coursework instead, but they never mentioned a practical paper until a couple days ago and never gave us the choice!!!). Is the practical paper hard, and what do I need to revise for them? Also, for my final GCSE, will I get to choose one out of the three practical papers to do? Which one is generally found to be the easiest and hardest?

Last thing is that I've never seen any past papers for the triple award (I've done lots for the double). Could anyone provide me with some past papers (links or scans - anything would be helpful), or if that's not possible, explain to me what the papers will be like in comparison to the double award.

I'm really looking forward to, and will appreciate any responses :biggrin:

Thanks
Sorry to be slightly useless, but can't you find the specifications yourself? :s-smilie: I mean, I could, but it's 3am, and so could you just as easily. Google "Edexcel" and go from there.

Your teachers are able to request the last three years' past papers for free from Edexcel, I think. Ask them to next time you see them, if you still don't have any by then.
Reply 2
I'm just not sure exactly which specification to look at... Also, I was hoping to get the papers before the end of the christmas holidays because our exams begin right after.

Thanks for replying :wink:

Also, I'm really curious about the the question about the books to get for triple award. I found these ones for all three sciences:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chemistry-Separate-Coordinated-separate-Science/dp/0435583913

But this one is for AQA. Is there much difference between the AQA and Edexcel triple award papers? So would this book be suitable even for Edexcel candidates or is there another one specifically for Edexcel?

Thanks
I'm doing AQA, but just using the CGP books & textbooks from class.
Reply 4
Yeah, I only use CGP for final round revision just to read through the notes. Otherwise I prefer using more detailed books.

Another question - In our final GCSEs, do we only do 1 practical paper (i.e. the coursework substitute paper) for only one of the sciences, or do we do all three?
Reply 5
beware of all the revision material for new science courses.
Nothing specific has been written for the majority of them yet.
Reply 6
Same here, my year and I are doing the triples too, well, at least my science teachers say we are at the moment (they kind fo say the triples today and then double the next day, lol).
I think chemistry, biology and physics for you cover all the things you need, as they are designed to cover double and triple science GCSEs (I think).

And regarding practical papers, my school forced us to do 3 practicals and they are all about the same (different experiemnts of course but the format of the "write-up" is the same, so there isn't really an easier or harder practical from what I've seen).

Good luck with your revisions and ach, I need to revise too. :smile:

EDIT:
Regarding specifications, I think it's always a good idea to read everything, I mean, just because something isn't in the syllabus, it doesn't mean it's not important, learning thosethings just give you a bigger advantage over others. :smile:
generalebriety
Sorry to be slightly useless, but can't you find the specifications yourself? :s-smilie: I mean, I could, but it's 3am, and so could you just as easily. Google "Edexcel" and go from there.

:ditto:

Some people have a total lack of initiative on this forum... :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Speedbird2008
:ditto:

Some people have a total lack of initiative on this forum... :rolleyes:

The reason I was so confused about specifications and past papers was that I recently just realized that I am doing IGCSE, not GCSE separate science... That changes a lot, and I have found the specifications and past papers now :wink:
Reply 9
I'm going IGCSE as well! :smile:
I'm glad to met others that are doing IGCSE not GCSE ><
and would you mind sending me the websites juz in case? thank u!!

My teacher just ordered the new book from england..
its "Complete Chemistry" & "Complete Biology" from OXFORD press i guess..
I hope tht would be helpfull?
Reply 10
Its all about the CGP books. They will help you depending on your board.
I'm doing OCR and I use CGP
BasiConcept
Its all about the CGP books. They will help you depending on your board.
I'm doing OCR and I use CGP

I agree :smile: Although i'm with AQA!
piece_by_piece
I agree :smile: Although i'm with AQA!

I'm too, and i've been using the AQA ones for the past couple of days, I've compared them with the specification and they have everything you need + more to help you understand it..

I've read through the stuff I need, but not planning on revising properly until before the exam now, as I have exam leave during these and my mocks, and the free periods before my actual gcse exams are quite convenient :biggrin:
Reply 13
Wow, you've started reading through already?
I haven't read any since my break has started lol
and my mocks are coming up too :'(
I'd better start my homework and my art mock now >.<
Best of luck everybody. :smile:
Reply 14
Actually I've been reading through mine a couple times, too, and have taken notes on them. But my mocks are coming up very soon. My plan is to try hard for my mocks, but to peak for the actual GCSEs, so I'm not trying to stress myself out too early...
This is slightly useless of me posting, but I did the triple award 2 years ago. I hated science, couldn't wait to finish my GCSE's. I copied notes from the board in Physics the whole 2 years cos I didn't understand it at all, and yet I got an A! Have no idea how, luckily my coursework was good. Just go for it and work hard, I'm sure you'll be fine
Reply 16
Yay, I got back my mock results for my Separate Science IGCSEs. I got an A* (90%) in Physics and an A* (93%) in Biology! I'm so chuffed :biggrin:

Still haven't got back Chemistry, though...

Latest