The Student Room Group
I'm pretty sure they're not.

Well, unless they find out something that they didn't know before. Say, you faked your A level grades or something.
Reply 2
I would hope not! If everything's OK, I don't think they're allowed to - they've made their offer. So I wouldn't worry.
Reply 3
They canm, but only in extreme circumstances. So don;t worry about it.
Reply 4
yes.
universities are allowed to reconsider their offer if they find out you have plagarised on your ps, or committed a criminal offence etc...
nothing major :biggrin:
Reply 5
what happens if they give you an unconditional, then you leave school straight away. is this acceptable behaviour?!
Reply 6
-revilo-
what happens if they give you an unconditional, then you leave school straight away. is this acceptable behaviour?!

As an absolute guess I'd suggest it would be severely frowned upon, but technically you should only get an unconditional offer if you have nothing further that you have to prove to the uni so by that logic they shouldn't pull the plug on the offer.

I would guess that in normal cases universities reserve the right to cancel an offer if you have in some way duped them over your application (ie false grades, a criminal record that isn't mentioned etc).
Reply 7
so if im studying 3 a levels (which is on my UCAS form) and i have an unconditional, i can leave school and forget about the a-levels? why would this be frowned upon?
Durham rejected me then accepted me after sending an email saying the rejection was a mistake.

It took a long time to change on UCAS though.
Reply 9
-revilo-
so if im studying 3 a levels (which is on my UCAS form) and i have an unconditional, i can leave school and forget about the a-levels? why would this be frowned upon?

You most likely wouldn't get an unconditional in the first place if you're still studying your A levels. Unconditionals are predominantly reserved for those that already have the qualifications and mee the university's standards.

The closest you could get is a matriculation offer which can be impossible to fail in certain conditions. So a de facto unconditional which is conditional de jure, if you will.
Reply 10
no, unless you gave wrong information about your results.
Reply 11
You can get unconditionals if your AS levels alone fulfill (admittedly low) points requirements. Happened to me :smile: (back in 04)
They can change offers, with your permission.
Reply 13
-revilo-

I'd be extremely surprised if anyone has given you an unconditional offer if you are still in the middle of your A Level exams...but if they offer 2 Es on the grounds that you are that impressive and you have that from AS, they would still expect you to complete the course so you have a solid background with which to start a university degree, hence why I say it would be frowned upon.
Reply 14
MGT_90
You most likely wouldn't get an unconditional in the first place if you're still studying your A levels. Unconditionals are predominantly reserved for those that already have the qualifications and mee the university's standards.

Living in Scotland, I took SQA Scottish Highers in Summer 2006, and have met the entry requirements for most courses in Scottish Unis (4As and a B).

I am studying 3 A-Levels in one year (sitting some modules Jan 2008, some Summer 2008), and for various reasons such as it being hard to do well in a short space of time, and my missing school due to having a big operation, i think i'd rather not take my A-levels if i have to (reckon it's better to have no A-levels on my CV than 3Cs or whatever). So if a Scottish uni did happen to accept me purely on my highers, would they take back their offer (or be annoyed) if i left school before doing a-levels (the a-levels are on my UCAS form obviously and it says i am studying them....). thanks
Reply 15
Quinion
I'd be extremely surprised if anyone has given you an unconditional offer if you are still in the middle of your A Level exams...but if they offer 2 Es on the grounds that you are that impressive and you have that from AS, they would still expect you to complete the course so you have a solid background with which to start a university degree, hence why I say it would be frowned upon.

See above... cheers. Already have one from Glasgow....
Reply 16
-revilo-
Living in Scotland, I took SQA Scottish Highers in Summer 2006, and have met the entry requirements for most courses in Scottish Unis (4As and a B).

I am studying 3 A-Levels in one year (sitting some modules Jan 2008, some Summer 2008), and for various reasons such as it being hard to do well in a short space of time, and my missing school due to having a big operation, i think i'd rather not take my A-levels if i have to (reckon it's better to have no A-levels on my CV than 3Cs or whatever). So if a Scottish uni did happen to accept me purely on my highers, would they take back their offer (or be annoyed) if i left school before doing a-levels (the a-levels are on my UCAS form obviously and it says i am studying them....). thanks

I would check with the uni, if you have included the A levels in your application and fail to take them they might think you haven't kept your side of the bargain if you see what I mean. Safest to check really.
I have a similar question. Dundee gave me an unconditional offer for English and Psychology, but some days later someone from the university wrote me that they would need my TOEFL results by June 2008. The homepage of the university says that I would have to pass the test with 92 out of 120 points, but they didn`t put that as a condition in my offer.
What do you think is going to happen if I wont get 92 points? Could they stil reject me then?
-revilo-

You have two problems to consider. The first is that the universities believe that you are studying A levels and will take the exams. If you change your mind you have to tell them (and they may, or may not, reconsider the offer). The second is that if you give up studying you'll be starting your degree somewhat cold in terms of keeping up the pace of study and you won't have some of the knowledge that may be assumed and will thus disadvantage yourself when you start.

It does not seem to be a sensible course of action at all, really.
My friend was offerd ABBB for Biology at Exeter in October, and they sent him a letter the other day saying they are lowering his offer to ABB

Latest

Trending

Trending