The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ash06
If you think you have what it takes to do well in the LNAT, go for it in terms of applying to LNAT universities.
Especially if you're realistic about your abilities and think you can achieve AAA.

However, what you have described will certainly be taken into consideration, but I wouldn't bank on that alone. Law is incredibly competitive: a conversion course may be advisable, but you seem dead-set on doing Law (which is fair enough - shows you're determined). And because of your determination, you want to go for better universities. But bear in mind, you have 5 choices, so you need to have a realistic spread. I would like to think KCL/UCL/Bristol/Warwick etc. may accept you. But I'd advise against applying to all of them! I would say: two LNAT universities (from Bristol, Brum, Cambridge, Durham, Exeter, KCL, Notts, Oxford, UCL) - and even though Warwick isn't an LNAT uni, I would include that as well. And then maybe two general AAA-AAB universities (e.g. QMUL, Leeds, Sheffield, Leicester - which are still very respected), and then an insurance, e.g. Cardiff, Lancaster, Hull, Liverpool - all still good universities. Even with my predicted grades/PS etc. I went for a spread - but then that was down to personal preference.

Thanks this advice is very useful. I think i will go with a "realistic spread" of Unis as you have advised.

Steve your opinion is depressing ! :frown:
Reply 41
Don't listen to him he is talking rubbish and is very pessimistic!!!!!!
Reply 42
tommy999
lso Uni's are not allowed to let the college that you went to affect their decision as Public exams are moderated so that they are all treated the same and so everyone has an equal oppurtunity at doing well

That's not strictly true.

St George's actually have a policy regarding schools that perform less well - instead of getting straight top marks for example, they will look to see if you personally perform x% above the school's average.

That's for medicine, mind. And only if the school falls below a certain standard.

But universities do take mitigating circumstances into account, such circumstances can include the school itself...

Just make sure that it's all in your reference. To say "I performed badly at GCSE because of my school" in your own personal statement won't really endear you to any universities; it's best off letting your referee do it! :smile:

But be sure you have a 'true' insurance choice is my advice. Sometimes people predicted AAA will pick an insurance of AAB for instance, but maybe going for just one ABB-BBB would be a good bet :>
just face it History and Law are much more popular at Durham that your Natural Sciences. Being more popular they have alot more applicants and so use admissions tests/GCSEs to distinguish between applicants.

Don't listen to him he is talking rubbish and is very pessimistic!!!!!!

What a mug.
Reply 44
Yes GCSE's are looked at but..... THERE IS NO BLANKET RULE..... They don't just reject people if they don't have the required number of A*s and also Natural Sciences is actually very competitive!!! Minimum grade requirement is still AAA.
Reply 45
I can't believe someone is actually looking down their nose at Natural Sciences here.. I'm amazed...
Reply 46
suek
I can't believe someone is actually looking down their nose at Natural Sciences here.. I'm amazed...

He has no idea!!! He is shocking me with the arguments that he is producing... Let's face it... If Steve thinks that Natural Science is not good enough then clearly we should all agree with him!!!
I never said it wasnt good enough. Im just saying at Durham its not their most popular course. Look at the Durham threads for rejection and you will see people get rejected from Durham with 6A*s for History and Law. Thats all i wanted to say to the OP. I really couldnt give a fxxx about Natural Sciences or you for that matter.
Calm down, Steve.
i would say that for certain courses in certain unis, yes it does matter what you are achieveing in GCSES and all. that is because those courses are more popular and the unis can be more selective about their preference.... and it always helps to have good GCSEs!
as for the blacklisted subjects, in the top unis it is almost the same subs which they consider to be not suitable and to be honest they don't care how hard students think the subs are they do not consider a candidate well if they have more than 1 of these subjects.....
and for the type of school you went to, i dnt have an idea being an international student... i dnt see the difference... .
Shrayans
i would say that for certain courses in certain unis, yes it does matter what you are achieveing in GCSES and all. that is because those courses are more popular and the unis can be more selective about their preference.... and it always helps to have good GCSEs!
as for the blacklisted subjects, in the top unis it is almost the same subs which they consider to be not suitable and to be honest they don't care how hard students think the subs are they do not consider a candidate well if they have more than 1 of these subjects.....
and for the type of school you went to, i dnt have an idea being an international student... i dnt see the difference... .

You don't want to see the diifrence. Belive me !
suek

I thought he was just saying History/Law were more popular at Durham...not looking down his nose.
Admonitor
I thought he was just saying History/Law were more popular at Durham...not looking down his nose.

finally.

cheers :smile:
Can we get back to the issue in question plz ???
isnt it obvious. Havent you been reading. You can look at it as a risk. Its a big risk if you apply to Durham as you have a good chance of being rejected. Better ditch that university and apply to other smaller universities as you will have a good chance of gettin in. Tho some peoples views will differ i would say go for Durham this year round as you can always reapply to another university next year as a post A2 student where your GCSEs may not be significant
agreed....
don't take a risk by putting all your eggs in one basket, spread out the risk a bit.
Reply 56
Just a point from a few posts above - Cardiff wouldn't make a very good insurance, they're AAA.

Also, I went to Durhams Law open day in August and the admissions tutor said they only use GCSE's as a tiebreaker (among other things), so they aren't that significant. Durham mainly use predicted grades and LNAT. You HAVE to be predicted AAA, and the average LNAT score of last year applicants who they gave offers to was 22-23. So if you're predicted AAA and get 22+ on the LNAT, you'll be fine.
y Thankyou
Reply 58
ladylish
It's sad to say, though, that things have changed quite a bit since 1993. The grades you got may have been good in the early 90s, but now - with more and more people getting As and A*s - for really elite places like Durham, Oxbridge and some of the London unis, they aren't so good anymore. To have a chance at a really good, well established uni, for a really competitive subject, you need to have GCSEs that are going to stand out.

Doesn't mean you won't get a place at all though - it's just a well known fact that places like Durham are sticklers for amazing GCSE grades.

No, some departments are sticklers for amazing GCSEs. To the best of my knowledge, the Law department, thanks largely to the LNAT test, is not one of them.
steve2006
Do they have admissions test for natural sciences.............errm dont think so. Admissions tests are used as another form of criteria. Law is unbelievably competetive compared to this sciences thing u talk about. I was talking about Law in general at Durham not other courses like sciences. They do have GCSEs policy on History and Law. He has to be realistic tho hes got a small chance and he would be better off applying elsewhere if he really wants to get into university.

Really? Evidence? I've not heard of one.
tommy999
Like I said it's best to apply to a range of universities... I also love the way you have dismissed Natural Sciences because it doesn't have an admissions test!!!! Does History have an admissions test??? The University looks at the application as a whole, which means that they look at all of the different aspects especially the PS so having dodgy GCSE's doesn't matter if the rest of your application is strong. Also Uni's are not allowed to let the college that you went to affect their decision as Public exams are moderated so that they are all treated the same and so everyone has an equal oppurtunity at doing well.... If they did let this affect the decision then discrimination would be taking place.

Frankly, if you get the same GCSE from Harrow and from a poor comp an admissions tutor will favour the person who got the GCSEs from the poor comp.

Dionysus
Realistically if the OP gets into Durham, I'm Santa Claus. I was rejected immediately for a course less competitive than Law with significantly better GCSEs and a three A prediction, and so were thousands of others.

If you applied for History and Politics at Durham (like I did) there were 45 applicants per place last year, considerably more than for Law. The History department, unlike the Law department, also places a great emphasis on GCSEs. Assuming he gets AAA, a good reference, a good PS and a good LNAT score he could get a place.

OP: Don't be scared or anything about applying to Durham!
Reply 59
45 applicants per place? That's crazy, I'm sure there were only 25 or so when I applied for History.

Latest

Trending

Trending