The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Vykis
Just wondering, what do those "2:2" and "2:1" mean?

They're degree classifications.
Reply 61
Well, yes, but with the whole admissions process at Oxbridge it'd be a little silly to go through the expense/hassle of filling in the O/CAF, sending a cheque, collecting/writing written work, taking pre-interview tests, preparing for interview, travelling to the college for interview and maybe stay there for a few days, taking the interview and then travelling home.

It's not exactly a throw-away choice that you put on and don't really care about like, for me for example, Newcastle.

Just thought I'd add my opinon...
I went through the whole process - got my UCAS in early, payed the extra, filled in the OAF, sat a test, sent in 3 essays, went for an interview for 4 days and now have an offer which I am considering rejecting. I applied because my AS grades were better than I was expecting and there was no where else I wanted to apply. For me, it was a throw-away choice, but I seriously didn't think I would get in. So...it does happen! And as we can see from the various responses, people do reject it, Yes, Oxbridge is really prestigious and has an amazing reputation, but if you don't feel you can be happy there for 3 (minimum) years, it's more sensible to reject it.
Turdburger
True, but thats because its a much smaller sample to begin with. Or do you mean as a %.

Either, really.

I know loads of people at Cambridge who wish they'd gone somewhere with a less intensive workload; it's hard to go from being the best in your class (let's face it, all Oxford/Cambridge students once were) to being mediocre and permanently behind on work.
A friend of mine's son rejected a Cambridge offer (something to do with engineering), because he didn't think he could get AAA. Seems like he shouldn't have wasted his time applying, tbh.

He went on to get ABC instead, and went to Loughborough.
Someone I know rejected Cambridge for LSE to study Economics.
Reply 65
i rejected oxford for loughborough and have never ever regretted it once, in fact i view it as one of the best decisions in my whole entire life. i was pushed into applying by school and parents but thought i might as well see, and when i went to interview i hated the whole way things are done, and hated the college, and the course wasn't perfect. however when i went to loughborough i fell in love with the place, i never want to leave! it was a hard decision, but ultimately was the best decision ive ever made. also, my course currently has a placement year, which the oxford course did not, and ive come to learn just how invaluable this is - i haven't been rejected from anywhere before getting to a much further stage of the application process, and so noone can say anything about how the oxford name could get me further with companies! also, im going to be a more prime position upon graduation than people from the course i would have done at oxford having already got a years experience and already being "in" with a company.
generalebriety
I know loads of people at Cambridge who wish they'd gone somewhere with a less intensive workload; it's hard to go from being the best in your class (let's face it, all Oxford/Cambridge students once were) to being mediocre and permanently behind on work.

Really? I don't think I've met anyone who has sincerely and sustainedly regretted choosing Cambridge. Even people I know who do genuinely strongly dislike certain aspects generally agree that the overall package is worth it. And to be honest it'd only be people with pretty fragile egos who would have a serious problem with not being top of the class any more, and only lazy people who wouldn't want to do the workload; while there may be good reasons for people not to want to go to Oxbridge, an inflated ego or laziness are not amongst them.
Alexander
Really? I don't think I've met anyone who has sincerely and sustainedly regretted choosing Cambridge. Even people I know who do genuinely strongly dislike certain aspects generally agree that the overall package is worth it. And to be honest it'd only be people with pretty fragile egos who would have a serious problem with not being top of the class any more, and only lazy people who wouldn't want to do the workload; while there may be good reasons for people not to want to go to Oxbridge, an inflated ego or laziness are not amongst them.

Did I say it was a problem of egos? Point is, if you've been the best in your class (and Oxford / Cambridge material) for years, then you haven't had to do any significant amount of work in your subject, ever; if you're particularly talented, you'll have done next to no work in any of your subjects. It's not always a matter of "I don't want to work" or "I'm annoyed at having to work", it's sometimes a case of "I've never worked before and got into Oxford / Cambridge on raw talent, and I don't know how to do so effectively". I know people in this situation.

Granted, an inflated ego or laziness might come into it, but the Oxbridge workload is silly (if manageable) for even the most conscientious of students.
Reply 68
im seriously contemplating turning down cambridge. However im kinda hoping theyll make the choice for me - i havent heard from them yet!
It's the workload that I'm actually scared about... I have been in the fortunate position of doing zero work and still getting A-grades. All my choices will demand a large commitment though, so I guess I'll need to readjust my priorities.
generalebriety -- I likewise know several people who regret going to Oxford because of the workload / being average. However, dont you think this is (at least partly) because we are 1st years, and that people will get used to it as they get through the degree, when I came down to Oxford I was totally and utterly unused to doing any work whatsoever outside of contact time, and it was a big shock to the system, but im getting used to it. Likewise im very scared of the upcoming collections exams, however im sure ill get used to it all eventually. (That and unrealistic expectations of what university life is like anyway)
Turdburger
generalebriety -- I likewise know several people who regret going to Oxford because of the workload / being average. However, dont you think this is (at least partly) because we are 1st years, and that people will get used to it as they get through the degree, when I came down to Oxford I was totally and utterly unused to doing any work whatsoever outside of contact time, and it was a big shock to the system, but im getting used to it. Likewise im very scared of the upcoming collections exams, however im sure ill get used to it all eventually. (That and unrealistic expectations of what university life is like anyway)

I know someone who skipped half this term's lectures and didn't do any work for his last few supervisions. Unless he has done inhuman amounts of work this holiday, he's ****ed for next term, and if he's ****ed for next term, he's ****ed for the first year exams. And if he's ****ed for the first year exams, well, let's say second year won't be a breeze, and he'll drop out.
Reply 72
fly4fun
im seriously contemplating turning down cambridge. However im kinda hoping theyll make the choice for me - i havent heard from them yet!

i think they will probs also see the reasons why your considering rejecting them and therefore not offer you a place.
depends on your reasons and whether it will show though your application.
Reply 73
playingcards
It's the workload that I'm actually scared about... I have been in the fortunate position of doing zero work and still getting A-grades. All my choices will demand a large commitment though, so I guess I'll need to readjust my priorities.

hahaha me too! there must be a fair few of us I recon. most of us will probs find ourselves in the least time consuming well paid jobs we can find. sounds good to me!
Reply 74
generalebriety
it's sometimes a case of "I've never worked before and got into Oxford / Cambridge on raw talent, and I don't know how to do so effectively".

Definitely agree with that. I wouldn't say I haven't worked this hard before - I was never somebody who was happy with just an A - I wanted 95% damnit :biggrin: But I've never had difficulty understanding things before. I hate that I'm in my 3rd year and there are still enzymatics and parts of metabolism that just don't logically make sense to me. And I have to work damn hard just to understand them. But that would be the same wherever I was - I'd just have more freedom to choose not to take metabolism modules!
I wish I was in a position to say that "Yea i am going to reject oxford!"
The people who get offers and then reject are making quite bold statements about themselves... but I feel sad when that happens because so many other candidates who are as qualified and really DO want to go there don't get the chance.
But it must be a blow for oxbridge when they get rejected by candidates after they have done all the rejecting :wink:
Reply 76
Shrayans
I wish I was in a position to say that "Yea i am going to reject oxford!"
The people who get offers and then reject are making quite bold statements about themselves... but I feel sad when that happens because so many other candidates who are as qualified and really DO want to go there don't get the chance.

But you might say that about rejecting an offer from pretty much any university that gets lots of applications (and consequently reject a lot of applicants). Why would somebody rejecting an offer from Oxford or Cambridge make you any sadder than somebody rejecting an offer from Warwick or Bristol?:confused:

But it must be a blow for oxbridge when they get rejected by candidates after they have done all the rejecting :wink:

Probably not. I think even Oxford and Cambridge are a bit more realistic than that. They're not the only universities in the country that will enable people to get a good education, and they'd have to be pretty silly not to realise that.
I agree with your comments but they consider themselves above the rest, which is pretty apparent.
because oxbridge are a dream which I had, which I don't now as I was rejected.... its just a very personal comment...
fly4fun

Which college did you apply to, and what for?
Reply 79
Shrayans
I agree with your comments but they consider themselves above the rest, which is pretty apparent.
because oxbridge are a dream which I had, which I don't now as I was rejected.... its just a very personal comment...

I don't think considering rejecting an offer is seeing yourself as "above it" at all - it's just recognising that Oxbridge don't represent some high and mighty dream: they're real universities that teach real courses and are not perfectly suited to everyone.
Many people dream of going to Durham or York or Bristol - rejecting one of those in favour of Warwick or Cardiff or Newcastle wouldn't be seeing yourself as "above them" just recognising where is best suited to you.

Latest

Trending

Trending