The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Haha! Okay, Lidka got there first (just)! :p:

And yes, defensive much? But really...as English students we get this ALL THE TIME< and it really is quite annoying!
Reply 81
epitome
Haha! Okay, Lidka got there first (just)! :p:

And yes, defensive much? But really...as English students we get this ALL THE TIME< and it really is quite annoying!

:five: I love how we manage to say the same thing, yet in completely different ways. :biggrin:

Now, I'm going to get off TSR and go read a good book. :biggrin:
Reply 82
That's because you do a doss subject.

*runs away*

:p:
Reply 83
epitome

Yeah, especially from smug sciences students :tongue:. I'll throw something at one of them the next time I hear "How does studying Shakespeare help the people around you?".
Reply 84
Lidka
Now, I'm going to get off TSR and go read a good book.

I'm on Moll Flanders at the moment. Hence TSR. :wink:
Reply 85
*runs away*

*chases, armed with battleaxe this time*

3232, I seem to do little but chase you around with various weapons! But really... :p:
Reply 86
Naranoc
I'll throw something at one of them the next time I hear "How does studying Shakespeare help the people around you?".

That's so irrelevant! How do most of most degrees have any impact, positive or negative, on anyone else, unless the individual involved actually makes an effort for it to matter? *growls, generically*

Don't throw things. Unless they're liquid...for comedy value! :wink: :biggrin:
Reply 87
That's because you do a doss subject.

*runs away*

:p:

:rolleyes:

epitome
I'm on Moll Flanders at the moment. Hence TSR. :wink:

Ugh! My sympathies. :p:
Reply 88
It's because they reckon they're gonna save the world with their groundbreaking physics. Whereas actually, they're going to kill us all. What has a historian ever harmed? Sensibilities?
It's because they reckon they're gonna save the world with their groundbreaking physics. Whereas actually, they're going to kill us all. What has a historian ever harmed? Sensibilities?

Taste and ethnic minorities:

Nick Griffin was born in Barnet and grew up in Halesworth in rural Suffolk, England. Initially educated at two Suffolk public schools, St Felix School (in Southwold) and Woodbridge School, Griffin studied history and then law at Downing College, Cambridge.
Reply 90

You're the quiet ones who'd sit back and let the physicists kill us all. And then you'd write about it.
Reply 91
Lidka
I never claimed it to be "highly employable over any other degree"; don't inflate my words into something that wasn't there. What I said was is that it's just as respectable as any other degree - it doesn't deserve the bashing it gets. English students - we don't "major" here - rarely, in fact, become writers or literary critics (or actors, or journalists, or teachers, or academics... etc. :wink:) , and I don't see why we should - do you expect every scientist to work in a lab, or every linguist to become a translator? A degree doesn't - or shouldn't, if it's worth its salt - equip you with only one skill useful in one place. What most English students come out of university with are transferable skills - we may not need to write essays any more, but employers can still use decent communication skills, a good command of articulate written and spoken English, the ability to read quickly and critically, a knowledge of current affairs (and past ones!) and the ability to see multiple sides to an argument (you can see why a fair few English students enter the Law). And depending on what modules you picked/course you did, there's always the foreign languages, the linguistics theory, the theatrical and musical knowledge, experience of film and filming, book-binding, psychology, art history... Oh, I love my subject. :biggrin:

Sorry for my misinterpretation. I agree with all of that. I interpreted very employable as meaning more employable than an academic degree in most other subjects, which is why I objected. I understand the concept of transferable skills, etc, and think English grants them just as well as any other subject and thereby opens one to a wide variety of careers, but I don't think English is particularly rich in transferable skills over any of the other subjects you mentioned, which is why I said what I did. (By the way, I don't think you think English is superior to other subjects in terms of transferable skills either, but my original comment was based on that interpretation of what you said earlier.)
Reply 92
jbruner17
Sorry for my misinterpretation. I agree with all of that. I interpreted very employable as meaning more employable than an academic degree in most other subjects, which is why I objected. I understand the concept of transferable skills, etc, and think English grants them just as well as any other subject and thereby opens one to a wide variety of careers, but I don't think English is particularly rich in transferable skills over any of the other subjects you mentioned, which is why I said what I did. (By the way, I don't think you think English is superior to other subjects in terms of transferable skills either, but my original comment was based on that interpretation of what you said earlier.)

So the conclusion we've come to is: English = employable, just not better. Glad we got that one sorted out. :wink:
Reply 93
Lidka
English = employable, just not better.

Well, I don't know about that...! :wink: :p:
Reply 94
epitome
Well, I don't know about that...! :wink: :p:

:eek: I did, of course mean not "more employable". Of course it's better. :biggrin:
naivesincerity
OK, I could have put this in GD, but I thought here would attract some interested respondents. When young you tend to think that Oxbridge and academia is the pinnacle of achievement then that changes. You come across people who think they are more savvy or 'real world' people who belittle academia as dull and academics as lacking savvy. I guess I'm referring to the corporate world, perhaps law, people with their own businesses, patents taken out on things etc. Sensitive intellectual souls are often very different animals and these people can make me feel distinctly uncomfortable. I guess high flying academic people you might think would not let this bother them, but it did and does me. When people exhibit this rubbishing of academia it actually gets to me and makes my families achievements, and my efforts in that direction feel insignificant.
It also makes me feel like I should be striving for something else which is wrong, because I don't want to strive in a world I'm suited too. Why are these so called real world people pushy and disrespectful towards academia in this way?
Does anyone else feel this way about the divide between these sorts of people and them? Feel pushed around by their values? Are they just derisive of academia because they are not talented in that way, or is there some real world savvy that makes them above it?

As Plato would put it; they have lived in the darkness of the cave so long that they believe academic knowledge to be 'useless'.

‘And if he had to discriminate between the shadows, in competition with the other prisoners, while he was still blinded and before his eyes got used to the darkness a process that would take some time wouldn’t he be likely to make a fool of himself? And they would say that his visit to the upper world had ruined his sight, and that the ascent was not worth even attempting. And if anyone tried to release them and lead them up, they would kill him if they could lay hands on him’
(Republic, 517a)
Reply 96
The Solitary Reaper
Taste and ethnic minorities:

Nick Griffin was born in Barnet and grew up in Halesworth in rural Suffolk, England. Initially educated at two Suffolk public schools, St Felix School (in Southwold) and Woodbridge School, Griffin studied history and then law at Downing College, Cambridge.

I seriously believe Nick Griffin has aided good taste and ethnic minorities.

By being such a preposterous and detestable caricature of the average ignorant person's mildly nationalist and mildly racist beliefs, those beliefs themselves become preposterous and detestable via association and via scrutiny with the same lense used to analyze the BNP itself.
Reply 97
jbruner17
analyze

Wow, I'm fairly sure I just felt the ground shake from the power of the collective intake of breath from all the English students on this forum...
Reply 98
Wow, I'm fairly sure I just felt the ground shake from the power of the collective intake of breath from all the English students on this forum...

He's from North Carolina. He can't help it. :wink: I'm more worried about his lack of commas, to be honest. :frown:
Reply 99
Oh yes, I'm sure your spelling is far more civilized.

I thought my commas were fine. Prima facie it looks like it runs on at parts, but I thought it was actually correct.

I might be wrong though.

Latest

Trending

Trending