The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Kathryn128
I'm planning on applying, nice to have the actual selection process, rather than just buying a place (Medlink/Medsim), so people won't go with their friends. So much better socially!

Realistically, they can't exclude grammar school students based on academic achievement. The whole point of grammar schools is to provide excellent education to deserving people who may not have been able to afford it. Sutton Trust aims to do the same thing, doesn't it?

By the way, when they say "non-professional", what do they mean? Unemployed?

They told my friend that she had an advantage at a grammar school as she got good support with uni applications and they were targetting their help at people at schools with little history of university entrance.

Non professional means blue collar I think, you know not a doctor, solicitor, teacher, accountant that sort of thing.

This might have changed I asked her about it and she said 2007 was the first year for on line applications and this was the first time they were excluding grammar schools, or at least hers as some people on here went from grammars last year. It was challenged for her school as the sixth form is the only sixth form in the town so people there have not necessarily had the benefits of grammar school education as lots transfer in to sixth form.

I think the advice to have a go is the best thing. She says when the on line application is available you have to find a code for your school and there wasn't one for her school so she called them and they told her the above. People from her school have definitely gone in previous years and the school were surprised so maybe it was a one year thing or maybe they even changed it last year and she never found it, that would be awful if her complaints and the school/parents complaints made them change it and they never told her.

Good luck.
if you get the chance to do this....PLEASE do it!! it was my sole reason for applying to medicine. i was previously dismissing medicine being from a pretty deprived school, i was told i would have no chance of getting in so forget about it...and did...until i went on the summer school in bristol. Everyone else was similar to me, the tutors encouraged me to apply, the whole experience...sampling lectures, socially was brilliant as well...so i thought im gonna go for it...and did, and am now a 3rd year medic in bristol! I would say on top of that it gave me a real advantage in interview, as I had first hand experience at the type of practials they did in bristol 1st year there, and in both my bristol and liverpool interviews they seemed to be very interested in what went on at it, and it backed my reasons up very well!

go for it is all i can say, without it...i wouldn't be sitting here in the hospital library writing this!
Reply 42
Nope, phoned them and wasn't eligible as I go to a Grammar. Oh well. :frown:
Reply 43
Holsy

Sorry, I was hoping I was wrong.
Reply 44
flump
Sorry, I was hoping I was wrong.

Aww. Thank you anyway. :smile: They said they changed it last year due to the large number of applications.
Reply 45
I'm interested in going on the Chemistry summer school at Oxford, although I get the impression that the Sutton Trust summer schools are aimed at those who aren't that interested in applying to top universities. However, I've been aspiring to apply to Oxford for years and I'm wondering whether or not it would be a good idea for me to go on the summer school. I have a very slim chance of getting a place anyway; my college have several successful Oxbridge applicants each year and my mum went to university.

Does anyone know of any other Chemistry summer school type events for Year 12s? The only other ones I know of are the ones at Villiers Park but I haven't seen any courses there that interest me enough to want to miss a whole week of college. I went on a NAGTY summer school last year doing Physics at Durham and I really enjoyed it. I'd be interested in doing something similar for Chemistry so I can decide between doing a Physics degree or a Chemistry degree. Thanks if you can help. :smile:
Reply 46
Jeykayem
I'm interested in going on the Chemistry summer school at Oxford, although I get the impression that the Sutton Trust summer schools are aimed at those who aren't that interested in applying to top universities.

Not really in my experience: students have to make the effort to apply as individual, it's for ~17 year olds doing A levels (so more likely to be thinking of university) & they have to meet criteria (one of which is academic) = so Sutton Trust summer schoolers seem to be pretty motivated & some quite competitive about the idea of getting into the university!

In comparison, at access events aimed at younger people (e.g. pre GCSE), often as an en mass school group, as a whole they're more apprehensive about the idea of 'top' or even any university. :smile:

I think it would be a good idea to apply, especially if you want to see what studying at Oxford specifically might be like.
Reply 47
I am the only person in my sixth form applying to the sutton trust summer school. I applied for medicine at bristol and was wondering what is the accomodation like - do you have to share it with someone else and does it make a big difference to your ucas application
From the mouth of the dog so to speak. At my Nottingham interview they said it can do a LOT for an application.

Consider this. Of the 1000s of applicants only about 40-60 will be sutton trustees... Some from Notts, some from Brizzle and some from Ox. As long as you can draw on ti correctly then it a good thing. They said that they know its competitive and can give you an insight to some spects you might not see otherwise. And its between than MedLink and MedSim. HOWEVER... i think they may have lied about this scholarship you are supposed to get at Nottingham. I'm currently negotiating with the bursaries department.
Reply 49
Thanks for replying Elles. I think my main concern is that if I was lucky enough to get a place I'd feel alienated because so few of the criteria are applicable to me. I keep imagining situations where someone else on the summer school might say things like, "What, your mum went to uni? What are you doing here then? You're taking the place of someone who would benefit a lot more from this than you are!". :frown:

I'm a worrier, you can tell. :redface:
Holsy

:mad: :frown:

Looks like I won't be applying next year then ..
Reply 51
heya i'm planning to go the sutton summer school in a matter of a few days!
i'm plannig to go to the medicine course at bristol and was wondering whether this will be a good course?
i've heard a lot about the medicine course at nottingham but not too much about the one at bristol.
Reply 52
do you have your place already? because application is closed as far as i know.

its a great experience, i went to soton though. you meet new people and just get to know medicine better. it puts it all into prespective.
Reply 53
malaz_197
do you have your place already? because application is closed as far as i know.

its a great experience, i went to soton though. you meet new people and just get to know medicine better. it puts it all into prespective.

yeah i've got my placement and leaving on sunday
sounds like it will be inreresting,,
thanks!
Reply 54
Might apply to this next year, certainly fit the criteria for entering the summer school.
Reply 55
tomster
Might apply to this next year, certainly fit the criteria for entering the summer school.

yeah, defo. its an a very nice experience plus the whole thing of getting away with people you never met before and staying overnight at university is nice. plus the good experience medical-wise.

Latest

Trending

Trending