The Student Room Group

Is doing well in mocks during lower 6th important?

I have my mocks coming up after Christmas and I have to admit i've done little to no work for them.

Is doing well in them really important?
Like none of my as modules are in january so it won't contribute to my as levels.

But by revising would I be more prepared for my actual as levels?

all opinions are welcome!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
While I am fully of the opinion that mocks are there to do nothing but scare the **** out of you and make you work, isn't it obvious that getting on top of the material you've covered now and using the mocks as a genuinely helpful learning tool will help you in June?
Reply 2
It won't exactly harm you in any way - it'd be beneficial to learn stuff earlier. Same principle as GCSE mocks, except you tend to do the papers in lessons, and the work has stepped up a notch in difficulty. I'd advise you work so you can remember things for later, unless you prefer cramming!
Reply 3
I have to say, revising for my AS mocks was one of the best decisions I've made in my life. It really makes the actual exams easier and you understand your lessons better as well.

More importantly, your university predicted grades may initially depend on these results. If you do really well in them, you can be predicted highly too. And then if you do badly in your exam, you can say you had a bad exam and they may be willing to take your mock grade in to consideration.

They are also a good indicator of how much work you'll need to do for the actual exams. If you put in, say, 15 hours of work and come out with a C, you'll know you have to work much harder in the summer.
i think it is quite important... because of this reason (it affected me btw...)

if u get good results in ur mocks...but u don't do so well for whatever reason in the real AS exam...then when it comes to predicitons...ur teacher can take into account that u can do well in exams, therefore u might still have a chance of being predicted a decent grade

me on th otherhand...i did cr@p in both mocks and the real exam...so leading to (unsurprisingly) a rubbish prediciton :redface:
No.
This coming from a person that has never scored more than 10% on a mock o.O
Yet got AAB at A level.
tesh^^
No.
This coming from a person that has never scored more than 10% on a mock o.O
Yet got AAB at A level.

Do you not think you could've got AAA if you'd put the effort in earlier?
hmmm just lost my long winded post... never mind a shortened version.

2 types of student stand out.
those who have to revise hard for exams, yet on a week by week basis thinking turning up for lessons and a little homework is enough.

and those who value there education, and are actually interested in what they do and thus spend a certain amount of their spare time working through lesson notes, reviewing proofs, looking for other techniques to solve problems, doing a little academic reading just because it interests them; students in this category quite often do not have to revise so hard; they just know there stuff and more importantly understand what they are doing and why.
yes, seriously, please revise.

I shouldn't say this, but IMO, what you get isn't important, to an extent.

Revising makes you know the stuff and puts you in a frame of mind where you think you'll do well, because you've done as much as you can.

Going through the exam prepares you for how they'll ask the questions, how to manage your time in an exam, and things your a bit sketchy on.

The result tells you whether your revision method was ok, a good reuslt that you expected means you know as much as you thought you know and to repeat the same revision mehtod for the real exam. A bad reuslt tells you soemthings gone wrong, and you'll have to do differntly next time.

Oh, and seeing as your exams are later in the year, even more important for yourself. Its so easy to become complacent and lazy when the real thing is so far away. You'll get behind, and you may not beable to claw yourself back again.

Hope I was of some help :smile:
Reply 9
yea they are very important i never revised and i do regret it so serioulsly put ur head down and revise u will get rewarded later for it ..
Mrm.
hmmm just lost my long winded post... never mind a shortened version.

2 types of student stand out.
those who have to revise hard for exams, yet on a week by week basis thinking turning up for lessons and a little homework is enough.

and those who value there education, and are actually interested in what they do and thus spend a certain amount of their spare time working through lesson notes, reviewing proofs, looking for other techniques to solve problems, doing a little academic reading just because it interests them; students in this category quite often do not have to revise so hard; they just know there stuff and more importantly understand what they are doing and why.

sorry to double post, but it think you're being far too naive. At 16/17, very few people know what they want to be and what inspires them, that for most takes years to figure out. So, maybe on tsr, most people have found they're voctation, but in the real world that's really not the case.

So, you're missing out a third type of person, the most dedicated and self-disciplined. The one who doesn't know what they want to do, but knows they want to make something of their lives. So they take subjects that are respected and that'll guarentee them a future, even though they may not have natural ability in, and despite it, revise, and get their head down, and get a decent grade.

On the grand scale of things, no one "type" of person is superior then the other, so let's not make it appear that way.
allieRAWR!
sorry to double post, but it think you're being far too naive. At 16/17, very few people know what they want to be and what inspires them, that for most takes years to figure out. So, maybe on tsr, most people have found they're voctation, but in the real world that's really not the case.

So, you're missing out a third type of person, the most dedicated and self-disciplined. The one who doesn't know what they want to do, but knows they want to make something of their lives. So they take subjects that are respected and that'll guarentee them a future, even though they may not have natural ability in, and despite it, revise, and get their head down, and get a decent grade.

On the grand scale of things, no one "type" of person is superior then the other, so let's not make it appear that way.

Although I think that you raise some valid and indeed good points, I am at a loss as to why you attempt to contrast these points against the post I made. Furthermore the third type you describe does indeed seem to fit in with the description I gave.

My post in no way infers that people at this age either do know, or should know what they ant to do, that is completely beside the point. I am also fairly certain that my post had nothing to do with whether or not students had a certain vocation in mind.

I am also a little confused by your comment on a "superior person".
Revise properly for them...it makes life so much easier after the mocks bcoz there is still more stuff to learn.

L6 is much easier than U6 in terms of wat is learnt so do yourslef a favour and work hard this year

Every mark you get this year in the summer exams is a mark you dont have to get for A2

All the best
No. If for whatever reason you haven't prepared properly for mocks ... don't worry about it, it's not the real thing just make sure you're prepared for your real exams though. I got Es and such in my mocks, I wasn't worried, teachers weren't worried.
generalebriety

True,but putting effort in to revising for mocks may not of been the solution.Generally starting revision in Febuary/March would of been the best way.
tesh^^
True,but putting effort in to revising for mocks may not of been the solution.Generally starting revision in Febuary/March would of been the best way.

Why would you not revise around your mocks when you had free time to do so, and revise later on in the year instead when you have loads of homework on top of that? :s-smilie:
generalebriety

lol touche!
Reply 17
Our school has drummed into us that we should try do well, as someone else has said -if for whatever reason (illness etc) you muck up the real things, but have done well on mocks, the school will give you better predictions for A2 if they've got proof that you can perform well.
Reply 18
I failed all of them. Except for English. Err.. yeah. They basically tell you what you're doing wrong. You can set it right again. Worked for me.

Latest