The Student Room Group
Make sure they know your situation and ask them the likelihood of gaining student status if you take a year out.
Reply 2
paymaster
The lovely Edexcel have left me with quite a decision.

On 19th August, they gave me AAB, which meant I missed out on my Cambridge offer, and accepted Bristol instead.

Now, they've remarked it, found an extra 37 (!!) marks from somewhere, and I've got AAA. Except Cambridge is full for this year. So I've got two options:

Bristol (Law) this year
or Magdalene, Cambridge (Law) next

Has anyone got an opinion, or any good ideas for a gap year if I chose that?

Hmm....an offer (such as the like of which you recieved from Cambs) to study is a legal contract. The conditions of the offer were that you obtained AAA in your Summer 2004 examinations. As far as I can see, you satisfied those conditions, so get on the phone to Cambs, make them aware of your situation, and make them take you this year!

You'll also need Bristol to release you of course!
Reply 3
NDGAARONDI
Make sure they know your situation and ask them the likelihood of gaining student status if you take a year out.

yeah u fulfilled the requirmenst of ur offer, so dont take no for an answer and state to them that u had a conditional offer on these grouds, i.e that you get AAA, which you have so whats ur problem why are u not accepting me, and if they say they r full, say then why offer me a conditional offer fuckface?
Reply 4
tkfmbp
Hmm....an offer (such as the like of which you recieved from Cambs) to study is a legal contract. The conditions of the offer were that you obtained AAA in your Summer 2004 examinations. As far as I can see, you satisfied those conditions, so get on the phone to Cambs, make them aware of your situation, and make them take you this year!

You'll also need Bristol to release you of course!

They don't have to after the 31st August. So I'm stuck there!
Reply 5
tkfmbp

Actually, according to the UCAS rules (as I understand them) which obviously become part of the contract, you must demonstrate that you satisfy your conditional offer by 31 August 2004 to be entitled to the place. Obviously, that rule is there to stop you saying six months later (after exhausting the full range of appeals procedures) that you do actually meet you offer!

Since the re-mark wasn't complete until after that date, Cambridge are under no legal obligation to accept the OP. Really harsh, but that's the reality of admissions (otherwise how would Cambridge know how many places they had to accept other people who had missed their offer?). Obviously they'll do their best to take people in this position, but its really quite late now - the offer of a place next year is probably the best they can do.

This appears to be confirmed at http://www.ucas.ac.uk/schools/advice/confirm.html (the section marked 'Late or amended exam results').

The worrying thing is that a priority remark, even if lodged on Results Day, takes (on average) 20 days. Since A-level results are mid-August, 20 days takes you beyond the date for meeting offers!
Reply 6
paymaster
They don't have to after the 31st August. So I'm stuck there!

Sorry - I was just writing that!

Re: your original post, have Cambridge *promised* you a place for next year if you apply (just imagine if you take a year out and then you end up without an offer!) ? Have you done everything possible to convince them to let you go this year - asked them to call other colleges, etc? They have a moral obligation to you to do everything they can, I'd say!

Obviously, you'll have to reckon in the extra cost of top-up fees if you go next year (as you aren't holding a deferred offer).

That said, if you are always going to regret not having gone to Cambridge, its probably worth the extra money just not to have those regrets for the rest of your life!

If you'd be happy at Bristol, go there. I guess this is something where it makes sense to let your heart guide you a bit: are you going to be happy for three years at Bristol?

In terms of careers, you do have slightly better prospects (especially if you want to be a barrister) at Cambridge, so that might influence you -- perhaps you'll be better off (in financial terms) even taking a gap year if you come to Cambridge and pay top-up fees?

Academically, there are obviously benefits to being at Cambridge (in terms of supervisions and the members of the Faculty).

I think it is a really personal decision, though, so I'm not sure people here can really say anything.
Reply 7
jcw
The worrying thing is that a priority remark, even if lodged on Results Day, takes (on average) 20 days. Since A-level results are mid-August, 20 days takes you beyond the date for meeting offers!

Yep, that's about it!
Reply 8
I have been promised deferred entry for next year, yes. So I don't think top up fees are going to be a problem.
Reply 9
paymaster
I have been promised deferred entry for next year, yes. So I don't think top up fees are going to be a problem.

I'd suggest that you get that confirmed in writing, because - AIUI - you have to hold a deferred entry to qualify, whereas you actually hold a confirmed offer in UCAS for Bristol for 2004? If they've promised to accept you next year, that doesn't necessarily mean that you hold a qualifying deferred entry offer...
Reply 10
I'm so sorry for you!!! I'd also bear in mind your career ideas (if you've a clear idea at this stage) - if you're thinking of an academic / barrister route then I'd definitely choose Cambridge. For the Solicitor route it wouldn't matter quite as much, even for magic circle firms. But either way, if your heart was set on Cambridge until results day I'd go for it, and make the most of your gap-year...
Reply 11
I was under the impression that the only students who would pay top-up fees are those who start uni post 2006 (excluding 2005 deferred entry applicants)

why should they be a problem in this case ?
Reply 12
tkfmbp
I was under the impression that the only students who would pay top-up fees are those who start uni post 2006 (excluding 2005 deferred entry applicants)

why should they be a problem in this case ?

Well, is she holding a deferred entry offer? If you ask UCAS, they would certainly say 'no' since - according to them - she has a legally binding offer to attend Bristol in 2004.

So, have Cambridge made her a 'deferred offer' which the LEAs will recognise when it comes to top-up fees, or have they made her a promise to accept her non-deferred application when it comes through UCAS next year?
Reply 13
jcw
Well, is she holding a deferred entry offer? If you ask UCAS, they would certainly say 'no' since - according to them - she has a legally binding offer to attend Bristol in 2004.

So, have Cambridge made her a 'deferred offer' which the LEAs will recognise when it comes to top-up fees, or have they made her a promise to accept her non-deferred application when it comes through UCAS next year?

deferred or not, top up fees will not be an issue next year, only for applicants the year afterwards (I have checked this in a moment of panic). I have a deferred offer, which should come through in writing sometime. Although I do have a problem with the whole Bristol thing...

And do I have a particularly feminine style of writing, because I am in fact a guy, yet you have assumed otherwise. No big deal, just thought it rather funny! :tongue:
Reply 14
paymaster
deferred or not, top up fees will not be an issue next year, only for applicants the year afterwards (I have checked this in a moment of panic). I have a deferred offer, which should come through in writing sometime. Although I do have a problem with the whole Bristol thing...

Actually you are, of course, correct (because you'd be applying through UCAS now) but you'll be pleased to hear (for people in your situation next year) that the government has specifically thought of you! The Higher Education Act s. 25 limits fees payable to 'basic fees' (ie: no top-up fees) where:

(3) This subsection applies where-

(a) the qualifying person had received an offer of a place on a qualifying course (whether or not at the same institution as the relevant course) the first academic year of which begins before 1st September 2006,

(b) he was unable to take up the offer because a specified qualification or grade was not awarded to him,

(c) he appealed against the decision not to award him the qualification or grade,

(d) the appeal was allowed after the last date on which he could have taken up the offer,

(e) as a result he was offered a place on the relevant course, and

(f) the first academic year of the relevant course begins after 31st August 2006 but before 1st September 2007.

So, even if this had happened to you next year, they would have treated you as a no-top-up fees person, even though you wouldn't meet the conditions for the 'gap year' exception (which requires you hold a DEFERRED offer by August).

What's the problem with Bristol? I'm sure they will release you if you explain that you'd always be living with regrets, not sure you'd be happy there knowing that you should have had a place at Cambridge... last thing they want is a depressed person with a chip on their shoulder! If the problem is that you don't know what to do, I'd certainly suggest you think a lot about the Cambridge Law Tripos - it is an absolutely superb degree at a wonderful University with great people. I would, if I had my knowledge but were in your position, certainly wait a year for it.

And do I have a particularly feminine style of writing, because I am in fact a guy, yet you have assumed otherwise. No big deal, just thought it rather funny! :tongue:

Not at all, I've just started (for some reason) using 'she' where I don't know a person's gender. I guess I should use 'he or she' or '(s)he' to show that I'm gender aware!
Reply 15
jcw
I guess I should use 'he or she' or '(s)he' to show that I'm gender aware!

Definitely, you've got to show you're PC!
yeh this was a situation i considered leading up to results day as you do. Personally I would wait a year. A year is nothing when you are guaranteed a place on that course. If you didnt want to go in the first place you wouldnt have out yourself through the process of applying and putting it first. During your gap year, plenty could be done to improve your CV and when it comes to job prospects a 25yr old and a 26yr old have very little between them. So wait in my opinion.
Reply 17
Similar thing has happened to me - I originally got AAB, thus missing my offer. I have now had a remark and have AAA. I have met my offer, but I am taking a gap year now. :rolleyes:
Reply 18
Misbah Imtiaz
Similar thing has happened to me - I originally got AAB, thus missing my offer. I have now had a remark and have AAA. I have met my offer, but I am taking a gap year now. :rolleyes:

So what are you doing with your gap year? Do you harbour similar feelings of resentment towards your exam board?
Reply 19
paymaster
So what are you doing with your gap year? Do you harbour similar feelings of resentment towards your exam board?

Yes, (damn WJEC!). I really didn't want to do all the whole UCAS thing again..but oh well. :frown:
But I'm trying to get over it all and I'm in the process of obtaining a job with the Civil Service in Manchester for my Gap yr. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending