The Student Room Group

Chemistry A Level

My exam for this is on the 17th jan and i have not started revising properly yet. With all my other subjects revision is going fine but how on earth do you revise for chemstry? I was very ill in september and spent most of it in hospital and as a consequence started my a levels in the beginning of october so am finding it difficult to remember the stuff i've missed. To top all that my bastard chem teacher thinks im going to get a D at the highest when i need an A for the uni course i want to apply to. I desperately need help and am %%%%%%%%ting myself about the exam in jan.
Personally I just go old school with writing and reading and trying to write again from memory, for linked reactions I kind of brainstorm by writing arrows between connected reactions and do the same thing as before. Doesn't take 2 long, probably 10 hours in total if you're focussed with an ok memory.
Got me a 90% A so far, this next exam will be the test
Reply 2
How I revised for my AS, and will for my A2, is to go through notes, read through & write out what I think are the key points of the topic.

Then, I would find some exam questions on that topic, and see how well the points I have match the mark scheme - if possible, ask someone else to compare & judge how many marks you will get for it.

If it is miles off - read the mark scheme answer & re-read the notes to find where these points are highlighted & highlight for future reference.

I found this extremely helpful for questions which don't have QoWC marks yet were still 3-4 marks - bullet points will suffice, thus making it easier to remember.

Some of the questions could draw you through a scenario - for instance, a titration calculation. I would strongly reccommend learning the Moles formulae (moles = mass/molar mass, and moles = (volume/1000)*concentration), and ALWAYS write out what you are using & rearrange it, as sometimes you can get a mark for just stating it.

If you can't get an answer, and it doesn't say "show that the XXXX is roughly ###" write a sensible answer & use that in the calculations after that question. You may lose 1 mark for getting that Q wrong, yet you should gain the error-carried-forward marks for the following ones.

Sorry if it seems like a lecture on exam technique but I thought I'd donate my 2p :biggrin:
Reply 3
well here are the two things that get me through my chemistry class.

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/

and http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Science-Chemistry-Revision-Edexcel/dp/0748772812/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198974896&sr=8-1

If you're doing edexcel chemistry the "make the grade book" is brilliant I just write notes all over my copy while doing revision. I wouldn't try and learn chemistry form it (chem guide has a great articles if you want to detail) but it has all the definitions that you could be asked defined in your exam and list of reactions you should know with conditions and clear notes on all the topics.
The best guides by far for edexcel chem is the phillip alan student unit guides for edexcel chemistry. They literally contain everything you need to know, from experiements, to the reactions. They even have some past papers at the end of the book to practice with and nice examples for the calculations questions which you can practice over and over. THey are all i ever used....and OP even if you dont do well in jan youve always got the june exams to make up for it!!

Latest