The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
It's managable. It's more expensive than Glasgow or Aberdeen, but not as expensive as London or the likes. Most of the expense here comes from accommodation, which can be brutal, and pubs and taxis are a little dearer than normal but, if you have an intelligent budget, it's managable.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
michaelnicholson88
It's managable. It's more expensive than Glasgow or Aberdeen, but not as expensive as London or the likes. Most of the expense here comes from accommodation, which can be brutal, and pubs and taxis are a little dearer than normal but, if you have an intelligent budget, it's managable.

Thanks v much! It's not the daily stuff I worry about, coz I am quite good finding ways 2 save money, but when i looked at the prices of uni accomodation it was £120 a week! Is this right? I sit cheaper in the private sector-or worse lol?
I can't really advise on the private sector to be honest with you- I've lived in halls for the last two years so I know nothing about it.
It's roughly £300 a month in the private sector... I know that Pollock is deemed to be very expensive, but with the advent of the expensive unite etc accom in other cities it doesn't seem to be too overpriced when compared. Catered Ed Uni accom is expensive, but the self catered is better value for money. I'm not sure exactly what the prices are, but I think the catered accom can be about £40-50 a week more expensive than the self catered, which for the quality of food provided seems a little steep!

The private sector in other cities (Leeds, Manchester etc) can be a lot cheaper ~ £50 a week, but that's just Edinburgh. The flats are usually of a pretty good standard with big high ceilings and lots of original features (they're mostly over 100 years old!).
Dont go catered! If, like you say, youre good with ways of saving money then you'd be great at food budgets and the like. Spend a tenner in Lidl or Aldi sensibly or even on the market, and youve saved at least £40 already than you would have spent living at Pollock.

The food is... well, everyone says its not too good. I wouldnt know, but im so excited at the idea of having a kitchen to myself (ourselves) in a flat and cooking things.

It is so much cheaper anyway you think about it really. Friends at pollock halls say they spend just as much on food as self catered people cos they either dont wanna eat whats on offer at pollock or they dont get to the canteen in time.

Also, (sorry to ramble, im so excited about being self catered, and im deffo no genius in the kitchen) but all the self catered flats are in the city itself, most on cowgate which is a brilliant street in edinburgh.

Ah well, ill shut up, but just some ideas to maybe think about (or not)
Cheers guys!

Really helpful info!

If I do end up at Ed I'll be sure to go self catered! :smile: I can cook pretty well, so I reckon I'd deffo be better off in SC.

Btw, what is the mix of students like? Many scots? Cause I heard that it's mostly English students! lol. I'm not too fussed either way- I think Scots r ace nd I am half scottish, so cant diss lol.
There are a fair number of Scots, and a fair number of English people... I'd say it's about even. There are also quite a lot of international students... loads of Americans on semester and year exchanges! Well, a lot more than I was expecting before I came!
It is a "cosmopolitan! city :smile: hehe. so id hope and expect to have a whole range or people from all over the place

ooh excited
Reply 9
It's not that expensive. Some of the flats on offer are not worth the money they charge but it's due to location in some parts. Cheapest are Warrender Park Road which is absolutely miles away, S Clerk Street & Sciennes I think. They fall into the near to 80£ish a week category and the latter two have great locations. Most expensive is Darroch Court I think but then again it has a washing machine. Nothing too outrageous.
beesintheknees
It's not that expensive. Some of the flats on offer are not worth the money they charge but it's due to location in some parts. Cheapest are Warrender Park Road which is absolutely miles away, S Clerk Street & Sciennes I think. They fall into the near to 80£ish a week category and the latter two have great locations.

Would you s. clerk street is a nice option? in relation to loacation/ cost/ rooms etc?
Reply 11
South Clerk Street has an elevator, which is always nice on moving in day. Mine didn't unfortunately, meaning 12 boxes had to go up to the 4th floor. Argh, haha! A friend of mine lives there, her room is fine! They're in a 6 person flat too so they have a nice kitchen.

South Clerk Street is about 10mins walk from George Square, 30mins to Kings and maybe 20mins from Princes Street. There's a good Tesco on Nicolson Street about 5mins away.
Awesome, thankyou
Reply 13
xkittycatx
Current students? Please shed some light? :confused:

This all depends on what you consider expensive...!

Latest