The Student Room Group

I seriously need your help

Hello,

I received an offer from cam which included a grade 1 in STEP. I missed the grade by 2 marks and therefore I got rejected. Now I did a remark and it was successful. I have a 1!
Well, my insurance was Warwick and I was more than happy to go there, especially because the course is slightly better. But then again Cam has internationally the better reputation.

At the moment I have no idea whether I should stick to Warwick or decide to go to cam.
What would you do at my place???????

Thankx
Reply 1
can u still go to cam this year? if so, go!! you won't get this chance again
Reply 2
Andi
Hello,

I received an offer from cam which included a grade 1 in STEP. I missed the grade by 2 marks and therefore I got rejected. Now I did a remark and it was successful. I have a 1!
Well, my insurance was Warwick and I was more than happy to go there, especially because the course is slightly better. But then again Cam has internationally the better reputation.

At the moment I have no idea whether I should stick to Warwick or decide to go to cam.
What would you do at my place???????

Thankx

If you want to go to Cambridge (something you must think carefully about), you must telephone the college you applied to immediately, speak to the Director of Studies and the Maths tutor. Now you've met your offer, they should take you in. After all, it wasn't your fault there was a marking mistake.
Reply 3
H&E
If you want to go to Cambridge (something you must think carefully about), you must telephone the college you applied to immediately, speak to the Director of Studies and the Maths tutor. Now you've met your offer, they should take you in. After all, it wasn't your fault there was a marking mistake.

Actually, and sorry if this comes as bad news, but since the offer wasn't met until after 31 August, Cambridge no longer have any obligation to honour the offer. In fact, it is quite likely that they will have filled the space with somebody else (or already filled the places available simply with those who did meet their offers on time). Quite often in this situation, the college aren't able to accept the student, so you probably want to speak to your college immediately and find out whether this is a moot point.
Reply 4
jcw
Actually, and sorry if this comes as bad news, but since the offer wasn't met until after 31 August, Cambridge no longer have any obligation to honour the offer. In fact, it is quite likely that they will have filled the space with somebody else (or already filled the places available simply with those who did meet their offers on time). Quite often in this situation, the college aren't able to accept the student, so you probably want to speak to your college immediately and find out whether this is a moot point.

When this happens don't they usually keep a place for you for next year? Even if you don't want to wait, theres still a good chance they'll still take you, it can't hurt to try.
Reply 5
jcw

I know a guy who only got a remark back in december and was offered a place this year instead.
Reply 6
Worm your way back into Cam I think. Worth it, even if it involves a year out.

which college out of interest?
Reply 7
jcw

Yeah but if they asked for a grade 1 in STEP by the 31st December (offer deadline), and he took the paper before the 31st, and it turns out he did in fact get a grade 1, then surely he got a grade 1 in STEP before the offer deadline?
Reply 8
jcw

I realise this - hence I used "should take you", rather than "will take you"; however, I'd hope that if there's any way to accomodate this student at all, the college will do so. After all, a Cambridge cock up (it's they who mark the STEP's) has already caused him the misery of thiinking he's missed his offer; it would be cruel indeed to allow this cock up to actually cost him his Cambridge place as well.
Reply 9
Invisible
Why didn't you get a priority remark when you got your results?

Priority remarks take on average 20 days. You must demonstrate that you have met the terms of your offer by 31 August. Rather stupid, no?

Yeah but if they asked for a grade 1 in STEP by the 31st December (offer deadline), and he took the paper before the 31st, and it turns out he did in fact get a grade 1, then surely he got a grade 1 in STEP before the offer deadline?

UCAS rules are that you must demonstrate that you have satisfied the terms of your offer no later than 31 August. If, for whatever reason, you can't show that you met the terms of your offer on that date, it isn't confirmed and lapses. The idea is that both your firm and insurance need some certainty as to wheter a place is taken - otherwise you could have appeals until October and have your result changed and demand a place at your firm choice!
All I can say is get on the phone to them (and tell us what they say)

MB
Reply 11
They will take me this year if Warwick releases me. There was a case when a student had already started in warwick then got the better grade after a remark and cam still took him.

I would not go if they took me next year. I don't think that's worth it.

Btw, I did a priority remark but it still takes about 15 days.
Reply 12
H&E
I realise this - hence I used "should take you", rather than "will take you"; however, I'd hope that if there's any way to accomodate this student at all, the college will do so. After all, a Cambridge cock up (it's they who mark the STEP's) has already caused him the misery of thiinking he's missed his offer; it would be cruel indeed to allow this cock up to actually cost him his Cambridge place as well.

Sorry, yes, I understand, but I just thought it should be made clear... a lot of people don't realise how stupid the system is (especially since priority remarks are rarely back in time). He needs to know to call the college asap rather than spend a week or two thinking about whether he wants to go to Cam believing that he can just call and say 'I have a I in STEP now, I'll see you in October'.

I entirely agree with you about the 'should', although I equally understand that many colleges just wouldn't have the resources (especially rooms!) to accept an 'extra student' (which this person would essentially be at this time). I'd hope they'd do everything they could to place him, though, either at the same college or elsewhere and - if that fails - promise to take him next year.

However, to return to the initial question, I think this is a personal choice. Only you know whether you'd always be living with regrets, and whether you'd be as happy doing the Warwick course (which is, without doubt, not as exceptional as the Cambridge Maths Tripos). I'd speak to Cambridge, first and then trust your heart to some extent. I'd imagine the career prospects at Cambridge are better and the degree will be 'worth more', but equally the course is more intense (more stressful - would you enjoy it?), terms shorter (less time to enjoy being a student), etc.
Andi
They will take me this year if Warwick releases me. There was a case when a student had already started in warwick then got the better grade after a remark and cam still took him.

I would not go if they took me next year. I don't think that's worth it.

Btw, I did a priority remark but it still takes about 15 days.

That's wonderful news - Congratulations *cracks open a bottle of bolly*

MB
Reply 14
So Andi, you're gonna take up that offer then for this year?

Latest