The Student Room Group

PLEASE HELP - Factions in Henry VIIIs Court - Post-Wolsey

Hi everyone.

I really need some help. Basically, does anybody have any information on the different factions that were present in Henry VIIIs court after 1529?

Website links, book references or anbodys own knowledge would be appreciated beyond words. As much info as possible is required so if you know anything then please let me know.

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Hiya

I have a few notes that should help you.

Privy Council Factions

Conservatives - Duke of Norfolk, Bishop Gardiner, Sir thomas Wriothesley, Lord Russell and Earl of Surrey

Aims- counter-reformation, catholicism and personal gain.

Tactics- engineered Catherine Howard marriage (Norfolk's niece), attempted unsuccessfully to oust Catherine Parr and Cranmer

Reformers- Earl of Hertford= Edward Seymour (Edward VI uncle), John Dudley, Sir Anthony Denny, Sir William Paget, Archbishop Cranmer

Aims- Protestant reform and personal gain

Tactics- 1543, achieved Catherine Parr marriage
1546, Denny obtained use of dry stamp-(used to alter Henry's will
after his death)

Hope that helps.
Reply 2
Excellent, thanks. That's a great starting point.

If anyone else can build on this it would be most appreciated.
Reply 3
Hi

I've got to do a leaflet on the same topic for this week! Not had much luck so far as even Wikipedia is failing- google books seems okayish though...
Reply 4
Yeah mostly the same as above.
was the conservatives (catholics) vs the reformers (protestants)

at first the conservative had the upper hand. Henry VIII married Catherine Howard who was the neice of Howard who was in the Conservative faction.
However Catherine Howard was 19 and she slept around, had an affair and so Henry got rid of her, obviously bad news for the reformers who now fell out of favour.

Howard was removed from the regency council because of this and so was Gardiner, as he fell out of the King's favour, again putting the conservatives behind.

Then Henry VIII married Catherine Parr, who was close with the reform faction. Put the reformers in the lead.
Then Henry died and through the manipulation of the will by somerset as mentioned above, he died with the reformers taking lead :]

i'm not a total nerd, i have an exam on friday and this is covered in it, so it was nice revision for me. thanks :]
Reply 5
bs91
Hi

I've got to do a leaflet on the same topic for this week! Not had much luck so far as even Wikipedia is failing- google books seems okayish though...

Ah I have an essay to do for next week. I couldn't find much online either which has been a real pain.

Latest

Trending

Trending