The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Im about  to embark on a pretty long trip quite soon and wont be back until the end of sepetmber, so basically wondered if I needed to get anything for uni. I have my own flat at the mo, so i guess I dont need to buy bedding etc, and obv marys is fully catered so dont need to bring any of my kitchen equip, but what else should I buy before I go travelling? and I know ts ages away, I just have about 3 weeks before i leave!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 121
good choice mate, i accepted an unconditional offer to study economics.
Reply 122
So this topic had dropped far down xP

Just thought I'd mention: had to buy new laces for my football shoes last week, and since my team has a thing for coloured ones, I got purple, hoping I can show them off at Mary's in October =P
mary's colour is purple? oh my god. Im so not going there.
Reply 124
Durham's colour is purple...
ellie_flower
mary's colour is purple? oh my god. Im so not going there.

Yeah we have to wear at least one purple item every day
nicola1807
Yeah we have to wear at least one purple item every day

you have no idea how tramautic that news is lol. Im living in italy at the moment in the south and the people here have terrible dress sense, and their favourite colour is purple. There are people walking around literrally head to toe in ill fitting purple combi-outfits!!

sorry, just thought Id throw it in. Luminous orange is also a fave here too!
Reply 127
I love purple. And my place was just confirmed ^_^
Just wanted to say good luck to any potential Mary's freshers getting their results this week! :smile:
Reply 129
I'm thinking about applying to Mary's, but still have some questions:

How good are the Music facilities within the college?
Is it possible to live in college also during your 2nd year? (and not only 1st and 3rd I though I read something like this on the Website)

Thanks so much!
b.roof
I'm thinking about applying to Mary's, but still have some questions:

How good are the Music facilities within the college?
Is it possible to live in college also during your 2nd year? (and not only 1st and 3rd I though I read something like this on the Website)

Thanks so much!

I personally am not involved with anything to do with music, but some of my friends are very musical and are quite happy with the facilities. Actually, why listen to me? Here's the music section from the official Mary's website:

Music

There is a great deal of music going on in college, and if you are at all interested in music its almost impossible not to get involved. We host events from choirs, to the annual musical, to the 'Live Lounge' , a regular event, which happens twice per term, where a hall in college is turned into a music bar/venue. We have had some brilliant acts, from a ruggedly handsome young man, singing his heart out with just a guitar for accompaniment, to full five piece rock bands. Its a great night for everyone, whether you're performing or not, and all levels of musician are welcome. Music is supported in college by the fact that we have three music practice rooms with pianos in which can be used at any time by any students, something that most other colleges don't have, if you are a musician, and you want to continue or improve at Durham, Mary's is the best choice.

They do have a few different choirs, or at least two... there's Chapel choir (think they sang carols in the Cathedral at Christmas) and MMV - Mary's Mixed Voices, which is more chilled out.

Sorry this is so long, just thought i'd answer your question properly!

Also, if anyone else has any other questions about Mary's, here's the link to the website, it has pretty much everything you need/may want to know down the left-hand side so peruse as you wish.

http://sites.google.com/site/smcjcr/Home

Much Mary's love xxx
Reply 131
Hello.I've been just informed that I'll be in St Mary's !
I'm a postgraduate student , so I'll maybe feel old :wink:
See you in Durham !
Are there any other postgraduates in St Mary's or are they all in Ustinov ?
greek
Hello.I've been just informed that I'll be in St Mary's !
I'm a postgraduate student , so I'll maybe feel old :wink:
See you in Durham !
Are there any other postgraduates in St Mary's or are they all in Ustinov ?

There's a postgrad wing in Mary's so there are definitely postgrads there! I see you're from Athens- we had lots of international students last year, i was friends with a few postgrads from France/Italy/everywhere really and they all had a blast, i think they kind of stuck together because they were older and were only here for a year but everyone's really friendly and you'll get along with everyone, postgrad or undergrad! The postgrads last year also had loads of friends up in Ustinov and they walked up there quite a lot to go to parties (think they actually went to a few Greek parties on Friday nights!), it's not really that far away, just a 10min walk so it wouldn't be a problem if you wanted to get out of college and go see other friends.
Reply 133
nicola1807
There's a postgrad wing in Mary's so there are definitely postgrads there! I see you're from Athens- we had lots of international students last year, i was friends with a few postgrads from France/Italy/everywhere really and they all had a blast, i think they kind of stuck together because they were older and were only here for a year but everyone's really friendly and you'll get along with everyone, postgrad or undergrad! The postgrads last year also had loads of friends up in Ustinov and they walked up there quite a lot to go to parties (think they actually went to a few Greek parties on Friday nights!), it's not really that far away, just a 10min walk so it wouldn't be a problem if you wanted to get out of college and go see other friends.

Thank you very much for your reply!Your info were very useful and positive!My concerns about Mary's disappear:yes: See you soon!
Does anyone know what is going on with the college gym? I heard it was updated last year with new cardio machines, but a further 8,000 pounds has or is being invested? Will this be in new free weights (dumbbells etc), as when i went there on the open day the free weights room was seriously lacking in size and equipment and lighting lol? Thanks! If not, I was going to bring in some of my dumbbells and weight plates, does anyone know if they are upgrading it this coming term?
How often does Mary's have formals?
Thankies x
SometimeBeforeMidnight
Does anyone know what is going on with the college gym?

Hey, there doesn't really seem to be anybody else answering questions so sorry everyone - you're stuck with me! I don't want to be annoying but i know how frustrating it is not being able to have questions answered from last year!

Unfortunately i don't really know anything about the gym - nobody really ever complains about it, though. The people i know who use it regularly seem pretty satisfied with the facilities. The website says it has been renovated this year so if you were there a few months ago on the open day then i guess you probably saw it when it was renovated! Try looking on the Mary's JCR website and if you can't find any more information and this is important to you then e-mail our JCR pres, he's lovely and will help with any questions you have: [email protected].

As for formals, we're not as hardcore as Castle/Hatfield, i think we have one on every first and last Sunday of term and then two Tuesday formals in the middle of term... but don't quote me on that. Then there are special ones like Michaelmas dinner, and informals which are way more fun. Sorry for the complete lack of knowledge on this one!
Hey,

How does the post system work at St Mary's. So, I order a package, and where is it kept or delivered? Where to I address it to? Do I address it specifically to my block, or just the college, and where is mail kept to pick up?
Reply 138
address=
[name]
St. Mary's college
[st. mary's address]

there will be somewhere you'll be able to pick up mail from, you should be told where this is when you arrive.
sorry I can't be more helpful, but I'm not at Mary's so :dontknow:
<name>
St Mary's College
Elvet Hill Rd
Durham
DH1 3LR

The post is delivered to the porters' office, they sort it into mailboxes which are right next to the dining hall and are lettered a-z. Post is arranged by first letters of surnames. In terms of packages - you get a little slip in your mailbox saying you've got a parcel to pick up at the office (just down the corridor). You just have to sign for it with some ID (meal card will do) and that's it basically. Pretty simple.

Latest