The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I've been pooled and i'm considering reapplying. When you say "ask for feedback", would you ask the admissions tutor for the college or the director of studies for your subject. Surely the latter would be best to ask since he/she interviewed you?
Reply 41
Foreordained99
I've been pooled and i'm considering reapplying. When you say "ask for feedback", would you ask the admissions tutor for the college or the director of studies for your subject. Surely the latter would be best to ask since he/she interviewed you?

Just because they interviewed you doesn't mean they'll have access to the information anymore. Besides, it's not their job to deal with applications once they cycle is over. The admissions tutor is the one to ask, because they'll have access to the admissions info. :smile:
Reply 42
Foreordained99

Thanks for searching for this. :smile:

Lidka's spot on, of course -- you would ask your college's admissions office for feedback. They might very well contact the DoS/interviewer, if it's required, but they're the channel you go through (technically, the interviewers have fairly strict guideline about [not] speaking to applicants). All your interviews etc. have reports, and this will form the basis/substance of the feedback (exactly what this includes depends wholly on the college/DoS, so we won't be able to answer that question).

I hope this thread answers lots of the questions you have.
It's said a lot, but I'll say it again just in case: It's really important for you to become happy with this rejection before you decide to reapply. You must reapply with the knowledge that you could be rejected again. The feedback will hopefully help you see if you have a realistic chance, with a few tweaks here and there. But without being ready for another rejection, you're probably not ready for another reapplication. (Reapplications can be successful -- there are examples on TSR! -- but you just have to be realistic and sensible about it).

Careful deciding, and plentiful luck in everything. :smile:
thanks for all your help! i'll definitely think carefully about it :biggrin:
Here's what I don't really understand after having read around a bit. On the Cambridge website is says:

" Please note that the Cambridge Colleges will not normally, as a matter of principle, consider applications from students attending other UK universities applying to study the same or a very similar subject at Cambridge.

If you wish to make such an application it will have to be strongly supported by your tutor at your current university. A reference or letter of recommendation from him/her to the Cambridge College will be required, and only then can a Cambridge College consider it.

If you wish to apply to Cambridge to read a different subject from the one you are currently studying at a UK university, we would assume that you had had a change of heart and no longer wish to study the subject you are currently pursuing. In this case your application would be considered, but would still need strong support from your current university tutor. "

Suppose you did have a change of heart, would not that change have to occur within the two weeks you are having your freshers week? Seeing as most universities start at the beginning of October and the deadline for Cambridge applications is the 15th of October. I am confused or may just be terribly stupid - probably the latter.
Reply 45
Master Polhem
Suppose you did have a change of heart, would not that change have to occur within the two weeks you are having your freshers week? Seeing as most universities start at the beginning of October and the deadline for Cambridge applications is the 15th of October. I am confused or may just be terribly stupid - probably the latter.

You are understandably confused and not at all stupid.

You're right: the "change of heart" would have to happen very quickly. For various reasons, the individual involved might decide to remain at that university for the year, whilst reapplying to Cambridge (hence that possibility). In most situations, though, people would probably drop out and reapply whilst taking a gap year -- in which case you wouldn't need the support of your current tutor (you'd just get your old school teachers to do it).

I think this safeguard is probably (and rightly) to discourage people from just reapplying constantly and easily whilst only being half-committed to their university studies elsewhere.
That does seem more sensible, thank you for clarifying.
Hi everyone,

Firstly, everyone please DO NOT email asking for feedback at this stage. If you ticked the box on the Cam form they will automatically send you feedback without you having to ask for it. Many colleges send feedback automatically even if you did not tick this form. This feedback will NOT be sent to you, it will go to your school. All feedback must go through an institution. So bug your school, and if you haven't heard from them in 6 weeks, get THEM to bug the admissions office.

Yes i know thats a long time to wait, but the admin people are very busy, so please be patient - everyone emailing them about the same thing wears thin very quickly! I know all this because i was reapplied myself, and since being at Cambridge have helped out with admissions. They refused to talk to me and all other candidates i knew, insisting all communication was done via the school. It's possible they just want to cover themselves when emailing people about their applications.

Anyway, I reapplied and I got in. But there's many people that don't. Someone said earlier that you only have the same chance as this year 'at best'. From what i remember statistically, there is a marginally better chance of you getting in on reapplication. This may be for any number of reasons, such as you being more relaxed in the interview (as you know what to expect), have improved your application grades-wise or got extra work experience i dont know.

All the people I know that got in on reapplication improved their application before reapplying. If you hand in the same form and dont gain anything from the extra year then no you are not more likely to get in. Listen to all the advice on here, its pretty sound IMHO.

Personally, if you weren't pooled, I'd generally recommend against reapplying, but thats just my personal opinion. Either way, everyone considering reapplying should wait until they have all their other offers and feedback from Cambridge - it is not worth throwing away a fantastic offer when you might not even get in. There's no guarantee that uni will accept you again next year.

Sorry for rambling on this long, its just there doesnt seem to be anyone in this thread posting who actually has reapplied. If anyone wants to pm me then please feel free.

xx
Reply 48
epitome

You're right: the "change of heart" would have to happen very quickly. For various reasons, the individual involved might decide to remain at that university for the year, whilst reapplying to Cambridge (hence that possibility). In most situations, though, people would probably drop out and reapply whilst taking a gap year -- in which case you wouldn't need the support of your current tutor (you'd just get your old school teachers to do it).

I think this safeguard is probably (and rightly) to discourage people from just reapplying constantly and easily whilst only being half-committed to their university studies elsewhere.

That seems to be my problem with reapplying to Cambridge. I feel that I would be happy at any university I decided to go to over in the UK, but for some reason I can't help but want to give Cambridge one more try. Though I don't want to take a gap year too.
Unfortunately that's a choice you're going to have to make. Don't reapply to Cambridge just because it's Cambridge. If you think you could be happy elsewhere, and you don't want to take a gap year, then dont. and go elsewhere. Either way, you have plenty of time to think about it and decide.
Reply 50
True, hopefully my feedback and the offers/rejections I end up with will make my decision easier.
Reply 51
epitome
You are understandably confused and not at all stupid.

You're right: the "change of heart" would have to happen very quickly.

Might the "change of heart" not happen, say, after the October of the year someone matriculates into university but before the next October? That seems like the more likely scenario.
Reply 52
Zhen Lin
Might the "change of heart" not happen, say, after the October of the year someone matriculates into university but before the next October? That seems like the more likely scenario.

Yes, absolutely. :smile:

(Sorry, I was concentrating on those who have the "Ah ha! I can go to another university to while away my gap year, and reapply immediately!" scheme...)
Reply 53
-x-Nina-x-

Firstly, everyone please DO NOT email asking for feedback at this stage. If you ticked the box on the Cam form they will automatically send you feedback without you having to ask for it.

I don't want feedback (obviously, as I have an offer), but I really don't remember this box. I've just had a look at the PDF version of the CAF and I can't see it there?
Reply 54
It might not be on all college forms, don't worry.
To be honest I don't know, they didn't have that box back in my day....I've seen it mentioned a couple of times in other threads so presumed it to be true. either way I wouldn't worry, most colleges send out feedback as a matter of course.

Latest

Trending

Trending