The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
one thing on there confuses me though, it says "or Willingness to make an offer, having second interviewed an applicant before Christmas (O2)"

Who the DEUCE gets interviewed again before christmas at CAMBRIDGE???

EDIT: all forms are here! http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/forms/
Reply 41
I think the GCSE bit may pull me down. I did o-levels instead and did pretty well (12As). There are no A*. How are such qualification reflected on the cover sheet?
Reply 42
dm55
How are such qualification reflected on the cover sheet?

Don't worry -- all qualifications other than GCSEs/A Levels are taken into account on their own merits. :smile:

Please don't pick these documents apart, guys -- it helps no-one. Remember that all this is really for the admissions people, NOT for applicants. They will work it in their own way, and the detail is largely irrelevant (interesting, perhaps, but irrelevant).
Reply 43
yeah guys, you don't know what extra notes are written on your form, dont go crazy!
djjz13
yeah guys, you don't know what extra notes are written on your form, dont go crazy!

"interview this one; hilarity will ensue. Good craic!"
Reply 45
hi guys, i heard u guys talking of auto-pool, does this mean that anyone who got 7a* or more at gcse and 90% or more at 3 modules + will be automatically pooled or most likely to be pooled???

does this happen to all the colledges???

Good luck to you all :biggrin:
Reply 46
The Solitary Reaper
"interview this one; hilarity will ensue. Good craic!"

"Ja, try zis wun for MML, joke after joke!" - Your friendly German DoS
Reply 47
Jiajun
hi guys, i heard u guys talking of auto-pool, does this mean that anyone who got 7a* or more at gcse and 90% or more at 3 modules + will be automatically pooled or most likely to be pooled???

does this happen to all the colledges???

Good luck to you all :biggrin:
#

It means anyone who has said grades, who is on the reject pile, is automatically upgraded to "P" in the pool status. IE impressive on paper, less so in person/at interview
Reply 48
wow, anyone with those grades will be Pooled, cool, what are the chances of secure a placement at cambridge if one's pooled?? 10%??
Reply 49
Jiajun
wow, anyone with those grades will be Pooled, cool, what are the chances of winning a place at pooling?? 10%??

Not cool, your pooled under the worst category IN pooling.

Offer for pooling chances is 25%, or about 50% If your called for interview.
Reply 50
Jiajun
wow, anyone with those grades will be Pooled, cool, what are the chances of winning a place at pooling?? 10%??

Once you've been pooled, there's about a 1/4 or 1/5 chance of getting an offer from the university. The overall chance of getting an offer through the pool, when you first submit your application, is about 1/20.
Reply 51
there are categorise in pooling?? what are they?? the pool im talking of is the worst i see... is this the only category pooling made by looking at ur grades only?
Reply 52
djjz13
Offer for pooling chances is 25%, or about 50% If your called for interview.

You need to be a bit more specific, I think -- there's already enough confusion! :wink:

It's c. 25% once you've been pooled. Overall, though, there are over 14,000 applications every year, and of these around 3,000 are put into the pool. Of this 3,000, around 25% get an offer in the end. Of course of the 14,000, about 1/4 get an offer in one way or another eventually, so the majority of offers are made straight off (that is, before the pool).

The 50% figure in djjz's post refers to the fact that IF you are pooled, and then called for a 2nd interview, you have about 50% chance of getting an offer.

Gettit?
Reply 53
Jiajun
there are categorise in pooling?? what are they?? the pool im talking of is the worst i see... is this the only category pooling made by looking at ur grades only?

Pool Categories

q A

Recommendation: If places are available, this applicant is strongly recommended [applicants pooled with tags/strings should normally be in this category]
q B

Recommendation: This applicant is probably worth an offer
q P

Applicant looked outstanding on paper but was less impressive at interview
q S

Applicant in special need of reassessment
Reply 54
epitome
You need to be a bit more specific, I think -- there's already enough confusion! :wink:

It's c. 25% once you've been pooled. Overall, though, there are over 14,000 applications every year, and of these around 3,000 are put into the pool. Of this 3,000, around 25% get an offer in the end. Of course of the 14,000, about 1/4 get an offer in one way or another eventually, so the majority of offers are made straight off (that is, before the pool).

The 50% figure in djjz's post refers to the fact that IF you are pooled, and then called for a 2nd interview, you have about 50% chance of getting an offer.

Gettit?

Ahhh yeah sorry I thought that was obvious, the only people left in the game are the pooled applicants, so it makes sense statistics should only apply to them. Measuring them in terms of everyone who applied is a bit pointless now?
Reply 55
Jiajun

Jeez, Jiajun, it would be really grand if you could read the information in this thread and others like it -- this information is all over the place.

I can't figure out where in the admisions process you are -- looking at your signature it seems that you've not finished your AS Levels yet? In which case this is all entirely, entirely irrelevant.
I have no idea how much you know about the admissions system, so I don't even know where to start. The basics:

You apply to Cambridge, then get invited to an interview, or not. If you get an interview, there's about a 1/4 chance of getting an offer, eventually. About 6/7 of the offers will be made after the first lot of interviews in December. There is about a 1/7 chance of being put in the 'pool' (a 2nd round), which sometimes involves another lot of interviews. If you do get put into the pool, there is approximately a 1/4 chance of being given an offer.

Now, the categories. Basically, this year, people with 7A*s + 90% in their 3 most relevant, or best, AS Levels will automatically be put in the pool, for a 2nd chance, if they are not quite good enough to get an offer after the first round. Other people are pooled if the first college doesn't have room for them, or already have lots of good candidates. There are other conditions, but they've been repeated ad nauseam elsewhere.
Reply 56
djjz13
Ahhh yeah sorry I thought that was obvious, the only people left in the game are the pooled applicants, so it makes sense statistics should only apply to them. Measuring them in terms of everyone who applied is a bit pointless now

Sorry, I should have said why I said that (!) -- the person who asked the question doesn't seem to be an applicant, unless their sig is a year out of date. So we can't assume the same knowledge as all the applicants. :smile:
Reply 57
djjz13
Pool Categories

q A

Recommendation: If places are available, this applicant is strongly recommended [applicants pooled with tags/strings should normally be in this category]
q B

Recommendation: This applicant is probably worth an offer
q P

Applicant looked outstanding on paper but was less impressive at interview
q S

Applicant in special need of reassessment

i see, thats very interesting, but under category A, what do you mean by in brackets, (applicants pooled with tags/strings should normally be in this category( ??
Reply 58
Jiajun
under category A, what do you mean by in brackets, (applicants pooled with tags/strings should normally be in this category?

Colleges can put some of their borderline applicants into the pool, with the "string" (or condition) that they can fish them back out again if they find nothing preferable. Etc.
Reply 59
oh my goodness, i have no idea that all this pooling and accepting process are this complex... thought it would be fairly simple

Latest

Trending

Trending