The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

im going to bath, as i got rejected by my second choice UCL aswell.
Nottingham or Bristol, probably, although Manchester would be cool too. I've got some choices to make. :p:

It's weird having to readjust, to focus on completely different goals and work towards something that I wasn't expecting to pursue. But we'll probably all end up getting excited about what are now our first choices once all the Oxbridge hype has died down, and I'm sure we'll end up enjoying the course there as much as we would have enjoyed being at Cambridge.

If I was taking a gap year anyway I'd be tempted to reapply for the sake of it (it was fun :smile:), but it would be sickening to take a year out solely to reapply to Cambridge, only to get rejected for a second time.
Reply 42
Commiserations to all who were unsuccessful. Although it seems very disappointing now, you will have a great time at any of your other choices, where you will almost certainly be under less pressure, and be able to spend more time there with your friends. Also, once you're there, you will forget all about Cambridge. For those of you who really couldn't bear to go elsewhere, don't rule out the possibility of reapplying. You will be older, and possibly even wiser, and many people have better luck the second time round. Remember above all it is a complete lottery.
earthredalert89
Epitomessance - can you link me your blog?

Here you are: http://zummer.blogspot.com/
Reply 44
The thing about taking a gap year is you HAVE to be uber sure about what you want to do during and afterwards. I took an (unplanned) gap year and trust me, there is nothign more demoralising then seeing all your friends go off to uni, and you still aren't sure about what you want to do.

Also, I don't think that taking a gap year *mainly* for the purposes of reapplying to Cambridge is too wise. You may be lucky, but it's a bit of a long shot. They'll know you applied once before so will expect more of you at interview. To be brutally honest, if you got the rejection first time round (esp. without being pooled, like me) it's a massive uphill struggle to be one next time round.

All you can do, is to crack on now, and remember the good things in life! Cambridge REALLY REALLY REALLY isn't the end of your future, it'll be just as bright without them, it's all about what you make of yourself. I thought, when I applied the first time and got rejected that it was all over, that no uni would match the 'Bridge in terms of enjoyment and experience, but going to open days at other unis, made me be positive again. You can have just as much fun anywhere, and at the end of it, if you work hard you'll come out with a damn good degree.

So, try to forget about it now, find comfort in friends, sit down in front of Bridget Jones's Diary, with a duvet wrapped around you, some chocolate cheesecake and a footbath, and when the annoyance of rejection wears off, then plan what you're going to do. One tends to make rash decisions when confronted with a Cambridge rejection. (I for one, contemplated shooting enough acceptees until they had to accept me. Turns out it wouldn't have worked) :wink:
my archi course has 2 degrees so i can at least apply to cambridge for my part 2 after ive done my first degree.
UCl definitely as I've had a great offer from there. It's where I always wanted to go anyway so I couldn't care less tbh.

P.S. If you're thinking of taking a gap year get a grip of yourself.
DannyBoy123
Yeah my first choice will be LSE if they make me an offer, followed by Durham. Smalltownboy, what course have you applied for? We can be brothers in arms for making possibly sick but very funny innuendos and inappropriate jokes :biggrin:

It says in my spoiler i'm doing Government, as are you.

Obviously if I get offered a place, LSE would be up there, but I know 3 people who have been to LSE and all have absolutely hated it :s-smilie:

Kinda puts me off....

But yeh, a sick joke society would be fantastic. As long as you like the music of the Strokes, the comedy of Chris Morris and joys of Football, we can be brothers :wink:
Reply 48
Yo guys! I'm an Oxford reject (got rejected in Dec 2007) for Medicine 2008 entry. From personal experience, none of this "oh, I'm so sorry", "you deserved a place", "you worked so hard" ever does seem to help but I will tell you one thing; there is nothing bad about a rejection. You had the balls, yes even the ladies (:eek:) to apply when others are afraid.* Yes, it would have been great and the world seems to be against you and it is all a tragedy and life was not supposed to be this way and you even got your black academic dress BUT there are other brilliant people out there at all the other great universities. You, the extremely bright students, allow Cambridge to be so special in the first place. So, never ever think of this as a failure. Take it in your stride, it was hopefully a unique experience. You never know, a couple of years from now you may be doing your further research there or even accepting a job there...! Reading other people's thoughts on this thread regarding unsuccessful applications has even made me feel better.

If that didn't help, here are the clichés if they cheer you up; you never wanted to go there anyway did you? Cambridge are elitist, they were against you from the beginning. :smile:

I wish all of you the best, you will go on to become extremely successful.

This is not the end, this is merely just the beginning.

*I didn't get rejected from Oxford because of my inability to distinguish male and female biological features. :p:
Reply 49
Cataclysm
Yo guys! I'm an Oxford reject (got rejected in Dec 2007) for Medicine 2008 entry. From personal experience, none of this "oh, I'm so sorry", "you deserved a place", "you worked so hard" ever does seem to help but I will tell you one thing; there is nothing bad about a rejection. You had the balls, yes even the ladies (:eek:) to apply when others are afraid.* Yes, it would have been great and the world seems to be against you and it is all a tragedy and life was not supposed to be this way and you even got your black academic dress BUT there are other brilliant people out there at all the other great universities. You, the extremely bright students, allow Cambridge to be so special in the first place. So, never ever think of this as a failure. Take it in your stride, it was hopefully a unique experience. You never know, a couple of years from now you may be doing your further research there or even accepting a job there...! Reading other people's thoughts on this thread regarding unsuccessful applications has even made me feel better.

If that didn't help, here are the clichés if they cheer you up; you never wanted to go there anyway did you? Cambridge are elitist, they were against you from the beginning. :smile:

I wish all of you the best, you will go on to become extremely successful.

This is not the end, this is merely just the beginning.

*I didn't get rejected from Oxford because of my inability to distinguish male and female biological features. :p:

Seconded!
I'm putting Exeter as my first choice then Cardiff second (to do English)
city_chic
Although these lyrics aren't really making myself feel better currently, they may do so for you other rejectees :smile: :

I'm not afraid to fall, it means I climbed up high
To fall is not to fail, you fail when you don't try
Not afraid to fall, I might just learn to fly
And I will spread these wings of mine

Taken from the song 'Get Up' by Superchick, I suggest you all DL it and have a listen; definitely fits our situation right now...

That was brill....
:cry:
I agree. What a great post this should least some way to making people realise that their lives are not over.

However when I get THAT letter tomorrow I think I will be back looking at this post if I dont get in as I will probably feel that same as most people who have been rejected :redface:

Chin up guys (and girls)!
Reply 53
Probably Manchester atm unless I hear from Nottingham
I'm going to LSE :smile:
I feel numb.

I'm thinking that it probably wasn't meant to be. Maybe I belong somewhere else...

Perhaps I'll go there for my PhD. XD

I'm finding blogging to be so comforting at the moment...

And thanks, cataclysm and epitomessence. You guys really cheered me up.
Although this might sound blabbery, I didn't really like Cambridge when I went for the interview. It was nice and 'pretty' but not something I could imagine myself living in for three years, you know? The only thing I'm afraid of is the jeers at people in my school (I'm weak - but it's the truth), and especially my biology teacher who said to me "they won't even look at you". My oxbridge competitors also seem to be intent on seeing me burn and fall. I remember when we were asked about our interviews, I confessed that it went quite badly - and he said "Well, I did better than her." I'm definitely the dunce, and I'm quite sure I'll be made to feel that way at school (which starts in 3 days, eek). d:
Reply 57
that is pretty cruel, especially from a biology teacher. Perhaps you should complain?
I have no clue as what i am going to do now. Queen Mary has withdrawn thier course so now I got to look at other unis which is irritating because most of the good unis don't do a qualifying law degree in Law and Economics. I am also thinking about applying for a scholaship at Buckingham (the private uni).
Reply 59
First choice was LSE, got rejected in December.
So then had hopes on Cambridge. Rejection...
Manchester is definitely my insurance and as I don't like Warwick so much, BATH IT IS.
Favourite course as it has a year out, at least :smile: To earn monies £££.

Latest

Trending

Trending