The Student Room Group

History help for OCR GCSE Nazi Germany, please! X

I've just been looking through the specification for the exam (my mocks are in a couple of days) and it says as a point to know 'Why did the Nazis have little success before 1930?'

Can anyone answer this for me please? I know about the things they did in that time etc and i know they didn't have much success, but i don't understand why! Because it seems like they did everything they could to get votes, so if anyone could explain to me WHY they had little success before 1930 it would help a great deal!

Thankyou X :smile:
Reply 1
okay i understand now :smile: thankyou
Reply 2
if you've learnt about him say how Stresseman (chancellor at the time) had managed to seriously improve the economic condition with such events as persuading the French to leave the industrail Ruhr region and had introduced a new currency which had successfully countered the Hyperinflation.
i guess you realise why they had success after 1930?
eg. Wall Street Crash, Great Depression, people turning to more extreme parties
Reply 3
Hitler was also in prison in the mid-20's following the Munich Putsch, so the man seen as the one who could make the Nazis into a real ruling party, as opposed to a mere Beer-hall group of thugs, was out of the political spectrum at this time
Reply 4
jrg1990
Hitler was also in prison in the mid-20's following the Munich Putsch, so the man seen as the one who could make the Nazis into a real ruling party, as opposed to a mere Beer-hall group of thugs, was out of the political spectrum at this time

he was only in prison for 6 months even though he was sentenced to 5 years. him being in prison could be seen as a major positive for Hitler because it persuaded him to change to politics instead of violence to gain power and wrote the famous 'Mein Kampf' whilst he was in prison
I'd say there are three important points along with the mentioned ones;
Firstly whilst Hitler was in prison (even though it was only for 6 months) the party vertually disbanded without him. He had to refound the party when he came out of prison which took quite a few years.
Secondly Stresemann was there, it is always an interesting point to mention that Stresemann died just before the Wall Street Crash, in 1930 there was no figure for the Weimar Republic to rally behind.
Thirdly working Reichstag's. Muller's Grand Coalition was the last time there was working Reichstag, after this point in time all the other chancellors had to rule by Article 48. While there was a working Reichstag the government could operate and tackle the country's problems when there wasn't they couldn't.
Reply 6
Lots of the middle class were supportive of the Nazis but were afraid of revolution so Hitler decided what ever he did to gain power had to be through regular means of accumulation of votes (although of course he didn't exactly play fair). So after the beer hall putsch that's what he did

Latest

Trending

Trending