The Student Room Group

Cambridge Law Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Would people recommend doing the international law module? How difficult/interesting is it? What modules would you consider it similar to etc
Original post by helloworld786
Would people recommend doing the international law module? How difficult/interesting is it? What modules would you consider it similar to etc

I really enjoyed it. It's very different to a lot of the other modules - you need to think less along the lines of rigid rules and a bit more about politics and international dynamics than elsewhere, and the structure of the international legal scene is also pretty important to get your head around. It's probably most similar to EU law but as you won't have done that yet the comparison is rather moot! The subject matter is a bit more exciting than in some other papers as there's a lot of war and conquering and diplomatic incidents.

Workload-wise, my supervisor liked to set a lot of reading and inevitably there is always the potential for a hefty reading list, but it wasn't *too* bad in the grand scheme of things.
Original post by Theflyingbarney
I really enjoyed it. It's very different to a lot of the other modules - you need to think less along the lines of rigid rules and a bit more about politics and international dynamics than elsewhere, and the structure of the international legal scene is also pretty important to get your head around. It's probably most similar to EU law but as you won't have done that yet the comparison is rather moot! The subject matter is a bit more exciting than in some other papers as there's a lot of war and conquering and diplomatic incidents.

Workload-wise, my supervisor liked to set a lot of reading and inevitably there is always the potential for a hefty reading list, but it wasn't *too* bad in the grand scheme of things.

Thankyou - that was really helpful.

What would you recommend for second years? I prefer focused , narrow syllabi (e.g. I detested tort as it was so wide and there seemed to be endless things to learn). I liked consti quite a lot (people found it wide but for me it the whole syllabus related to a few central principles if you get what I mean.) I also preferred essays last year but I think that was because I had never used done a problem question style answer before so should be better with that this year.
Original post by helloworld786
Thankyou - that was really helpful.

What would you recommend for second years? I prefer focused , narrow syllabi (e.g. I detested tort as it was so wide and there seemed to be endless things to learn). I liked consti quite a lot (people found it wide but for me it the whole syllabus related to a few central principles if you get what I mean.) I also preferred essays last year but I think that was because I had never used done a problem question style answer before so should be better with that this year.

I mean I can only really compare against the things I did, which were International, Family and CSPS. If you like narrow syllabi I'd avoid Family with a bargepole as the syllabus is absolutely gigantic. CSPS is a bit narrower and offers more opportunity to drop certain bits and just focus on a few, and it's about 95% essays, so that could be up your alley, although it is very much one where the more you read the better you'll do. If you liked Consti then perhaps consider Admin?
Does anyone know if getting a C (1 mark off a B) in one of my politics exams would spoil my chances of getting into cambridge for law? In my other unit I got over 92 UMS meaning I got an A overall, and in German (both parts) and 3 of my maths/further maths exams I got 100 UMS, so I was wondering whether the others would equalise that. But since politics seems quite relevant, I was thinking that maybe it would have the greatest effect on my prospects when considering just the grades??
Original post by RueXO
Can a current law offer holder at Cambridge/ Someone reading law in their 1st year (or has good memory of the application) please pop up? I have a few questions regarding the interview, and personal statement.
My college had a talk about it today but i missed it /;

Hey,
Just saw the thread so your questions have probably all been answered.
Eitherway it might be nice to get some consolidation so ask away. I'm gonna be a fresher in October
Original post by metalTree007
Does anyone know if getting a C (1 mark off a B) in one of my politics exams would spoil my chances of getting into cambridge for law? In my other unit I got over 92 UMS meaning I got an A overall, and in German (both parts) and 3 of my maths/further maths exams I got 100 UMS, so I was wondering whether the others would equalise that. But since politics seems quite relevant, I was thinking that maybe it would have the greatest effect on my prospects when considering just the grades??

As far as I'm aware they only look at top 3 subjects for UMS so you should actually be okay.
I got an offer despite just scraping an A in my fourth and worst subject
Anyone here applying to Cambridge University to read Law in 2017?
Original post by JohnGreek
Forum games ^^

What does that mean?
Original post by Bunratty
Anyone here applying to Cambridge University to read Law in 2017?
Yeah I am, what college are you applying to?
I am, and I got an interview invitation from King's about 5 days ago!
Hey guys,
There's not much talk about Law. Where are you guys? How's your application going?

I have an interview for Law at Homerton
Hey I've applied to read Law, I applied to Clare but haven't heard anything from them yet, anyone else heard about interviews? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lucky you! I'm still waiting.😟😠😡
Maybe the clever ones get asked first.😰
I was either invited for an interview at Homerton College. I am from Greece and I have to stay in the College. The problem is that I have to do the interview for York (via Skype) the day just before the interview at Homerton. So , I have to tell them that I need a room for three nights. Don't you think this might seem rude to ask them?
Hey, congrats! What date is your interview? In regards to accommodation at Homerton, you can always ask but I'm not sure what they will say. But I can almost be certain asking for another night of accommodation with not have any negative impact on your application. If they say no theres a Travelodge (Basic but comfy and inexpensive) literally on the same road which you can stop in for one night if you need to. Good Luck, and maybe we will see each other
Congratulations to you too!!My interview is in the morning of the 7th.Hope that we will meet! Thanks for the advice!!I will write them but the alternative for one night sounds great!!!
Original post by Konstantinos1999
Congratulations to you too!!My interview is in the morning of the 7th.Hope that we will meet! Thanks for the advice!!I will write them but the alternative for one night sounds great!!!

Aw Mines on the 9th :frown:. That is a shame, but all the best!
Ohh so we won't meet..Thank you though! Good luck!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending