The Student Room Group

Cambridge Law Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

one last thing, would i need to get any supporting documents that my dad has to prove my circumstances or will i need to go through any other procedures via cambridge/ucas to prove it/or not?

thank you.
Reply 81
edit: problem resolved.
I'm thiking of applying to Cambridge this Sept for law but I have no idea which college to choose!!! Any advice and suggestions,please? :smile:
Reply 83
apply for Christs, if you get an offer there is a good chance your offer could be EE, meaning its basically unconditional!
Reply 84
College choice won't have much effect on the quality of teaching, so come to the open day and just pick a college you like the look of.
whoa, unconditional offers are a gift from heaven *gasps*
Reply 86
Downing is like THE Law college!
ebam_uk
apply for Christs, if you get an offer there is a good chance your offer could be EE, meaning its basically unconditional!

Good chance? :eyeball: You mean that they have given EE offers before in the history of the college. Can you please substantiate your claim.
Reply 88
Craghyrax
Good chance? :eyeball: You mean that they have given EE offers before in the history of the college. Can you please substantiate your claim.

Christ's state that approximately 1/3rd of their offers each year are EE, so you do have a pretty good chance if they decide to accept you.
jcb914
Christ's state that approximately 1/3rd of their offers each year are EE, so you do have a pretty good chance if they decide to accept you.

Ok, but taking Solemn Wanderer's post into account, that must also mean they'd have to be pretty sure about you as a candidate to start with - so at the end of the day that can't make a practical difference to your chances of winning an offer to start with.
Hi...
I'm trying to find other peopole stuying the Double Maitrise at Cambridge next year. Currently, I'm up to 8 out of 16, all the french, but only one english!! If anyone is on facebook...we've created a group called Cambridge Double Maitrise so that we can meet...
Reply 91
jcb914

They state that approximately 1/3rd of their offers each year are EE given to students with mitigating circumstances.
Reply 92
*subsrcibes*
Reply 93
This is the reading list I was sent in April from Queens' and I thought it might be helpful if anyone wanted to do some introductory reading if they haven't recieved anything from their colleges yet.

A
Learning legal skills - Simon Lee + Marie Fox (2nd ed 1994)
Learning legal rules - James Holland + Julian Webb (1991)
Studying law - Phillip Kenny (4th ed 1998)

B
An introduction to Roman Law - Barry Nicholas (1962, 2nd impression 1975)
Constitutional reform - R Blackburn + R Plant (1999)
Tort Law - Tony Weir
Understanding Criminal Law - CMV Clarckson (1987, 2nd impression 1989)

C
Advocates - David Pannick (1992)
Judges - David Pannick (1992)
Eve was framed - Helena Kennedy (1992)
The politics of the judiciary - JAG Griffith (4th ed 1991)
The law machine - Marcel Berlins + Clare Dyer (3rd ed 1989)
The discipline of law - Lord Denning (1979)
How many have you read yet???:rolleyes: Or have you just bought them all, and they're sitting on your desk?

Oh that is a lot... but i guess i'd better get used to reading a lot of very thick, written very small , old books...:rolleyes:
Reply 95
I've read 'The Law Machine', but that was before my interview. I'm slowly struggling my way through 'Eve was framed' too. After that I plan on trying to read most of List C and List B, that's if I meet my offer ofcourse :p:
Reply 96
I've just finished first year and I haven't read any of those... but maybe they're enjoyable..
Reply 97
Thanks for the heads up.
I was looking up some of those books and 'Constitutional Reform' - R Blackburn & R Plant, came up as £45!
Reply 98
oh god- please don't read any of those books before coming!
Apart from an Introduction to both Roman Law and Tort (which you can read in the library when you get to Cambridge), none of them are particularly relevant to the course and will not help you get a better grade! You will honestly thank me for this when you arrive in September to discover that no-one else has done the reading + it was useless anyway.

And if you really want to read something, try 'What about Law?' by Barnard, O'Sullivan and Virgo. It's actually written by your first year lecturers and I've heard it's highly useful and entertaining.

Enjoy your Summer!
I'm reading The Law in Brief right now, just to have a rough overview... and I'll see how much the rest cost...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending