The Student Room Group

What is a good second car?

So, after you've been passed for a couple of years or so and your insurance has come down quite a bit, and you perhaps decide to trade in your faithful first car because face it, it's a bit naff, what model would you be looking at and what price range?

It seems the cleo, the corsa and the saxo are popular 'first time' cars. What do you think are good 'second time' cars?

Scroll to see replies

bugatti veyron or ferrari enzo
Reply 2
If it's a tight budget, i'd say find a decent, low-mileage peugeot 205 or 306 (though i'm biased towards peugeots)
If you've got more dosh, I think a Fiesta ST would make a great second car or a Golf - even a Focus ST if you have the cash. If you're looking sensible rather than sporty, maybe the mazda 323 or 3?
VW Golf :smile:
Reply 4
Depends what you started on. I would look to upgrade from the seicento to a newer small fiat, probably a Grande Punto.
generally either go up in age, engine size or vehicle size from what you started in.
Reply 5
Anything medium sized; Focus (my 3rd car, 2nd drivable one) VW Golf, Seat Leon, Mazda 3, Skoda Octavia (or Fabia, whichever shares the golf chassie) Renult Megan, Pug 307, etc
Reply 6
Something light with a stupidly large engine.
Reply 7
Im looking into second car's too and like the focus and the megane. Although it'll probably be nearer to autumn before i buy im just looking well in advanced.
Dax Rush with a V8, or a westfield/caterham style shell with a hayabusa/ninja engine.
Reply 9
my first car was a suzuki alto 1.1, 06 plate. hated it. £4999 new.

my second car was a ford ka 1.3 52 plate. i got bored of it after a year. £4500, but it was a luxury model. i still overpaid. 28,000 miles on the clock.

my third, and current car, is a peugeot 206 s, 05 plate, only had 1500 miles on the clock. paid £4700.
Reply 10
id say something around a 1.6, big hatch maybe a small saloon.
Reply 11
depends what you're after really.. doesn't have to be practical if practicality isnt something you need, my second car was an mg tf.. if you just want something nicer to drive, a bit quicker but as practical, I'd probably be looking at something like a fiesta st or zetec s or something along those lines - so affordable but probably a big difference to whatever you had first.
Reply 12
Dac.
id say something around a 1.6, big hatch maybe a small saloon.

2.3 V5 Toledo's are really nice...
Reply 13
samba
2.3 V5 Toledo's are really nice...

for a second car? people on here have more money than sense paying these high premiums. i dont see why they dont just wait and pay whats acceptable. JC being the exception here as he has it the other way round, sacrificing a few luxuries though :rolleyes:

im never going to pay over £1k for insurance ever again. my first year was £1600 and this year is £600. more than enough wasted money.

o and the V5 isnt even a true V engine. its staggered, like than on an old 6R4 :smile:
Reply 14
Dac.
for a second car? people on here have more money than sense paying these high premiums. i dont see why they dont just wait and pay whats acceptable. JC being the exception here as he has it the other way round, sacrificing a few luxuries though :rolleyes:

im never going to pay over £1k for insurance ever again. my first year was £1600 and this year is £600. more than enough wasted money.

o and the V5 isnt even a true V engine. its staggered, like than on an old 6R4 :smile:

Nobody really buys a toledo for the massively sporty performance... You look for solid performance, handling and economy, room and comfort. You'd probably be looking at VW Bora's, Focus's/Mondeos in that class.

The V5 has about 150bhp iirc, and 1.9tdi around 130. insurance groups 9/13. Hardly crippling for insurance.....
My second car is a bus!
Reply 16
mr_jr
My second car is a bus!

well done. this thread is over a year and a half old.
i think there are more up to date threads on second cars than this.
pumpkin7
well done. this thread is over a year and a half old.
i think there are more up to date threads on second cars than this.

Blame the "new threads" feed then :smile:. I'm really not that bothered. Indeed, lets get another discussion on best second cars up.
I want a £6,000 VW Passat :-p Alas, I do not have the cash at the moment.
Reply 19
Sod it. Get a Horse.

Move 'em on, head 'em up,
Head 'em up, move 'em out,
Move 'em on, head 'em out Rawhide!!!

:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest