The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You actually seem to be some kind of Guardian Angel, as I have just come on here searching for a post exactly like this one, after just having another row with my parents about the following.

Okay here goes. I am 18 years old, just, and I have got B's in the A Levels I have taken, english lit, history, geography, classics, and for the past couple of years, since before I started these A Levels, I have wanted ultimately to go to Medical School and hopefully become a Surgeon.

But, after being bullied into other subjects by my parents and teachers who didn't think that it would be right for me because of the long hours, the length of time required to train, and the lack of experience volunteering in the field, etc. And I have now come to the point, some may argue, too late, where I have realised that this is what I want to do. This is truly what I have to, want to, and need to do, so what I am asking is, do you think it is too late?

Once I have taken Biology and Chemistry (do you also think physics is required?) at A Level, I would have just turned 20 by the time I started, and given the number of years training needed, is it just too late? This has been really depressing me for the past, well, ages, but I feel it is too late, with everyone I have heard of entering Medical School at 18.

Thanks a heap for any advice :]]

P.S. Before anyone is degrading enough to ask, I am not one of the wannabe TV surgeons who has "seen and loved Grey's Anatomy, like, so much and sooo wants to be a surgeon now," please don't ask lol.
Seeing as you had an offer from Southampton, you would indeed be a lifesaver if you could tell me when (roundabouts) they give out offers...I'm only waiting on them now and would quite like to know soonish. Also, do they have a post-offer open day? I looked around so long ago that I think I need to refresh my memory before making any decisions!

You're really rather lovely for starting this thread, so thank you! xxx
Reply 3
It's not too late. Many people on my medicine course were in their twenties when they started. Some were in their thirties. A couple were in their forties.
Reply 4
Hayls_HeartPH
You actually seem to be some kind of Guardian Angel, as I have just come on here searching for a post exactly like this one, after just having another row with my parents about the following.

Okay here goes. I am 18 years old, just, and I have got B's in the A Levels I have taken, english lit, history, geography, classics, and for the past couple of years, since before I started these A Levels, I have wanted ultimately to go to Medical School and hopefully become a Surgeon.

But, after being bullied into other subjects by my parents and teachers who didn't think that it would be right for me because of the long hours, the length of time required to train, and the lack of experience volunteering in the field, etc. And I have now come to the point, some may argue, too late, where I have realised that this is what I want to do. This is truly what I have to, want to, and need to do, so what I am asking is, do you think it is too late?

Once I have taken Biology and Chemistry (do you also think physics is required?) at A Level, I would have just turned 20 by the time I started, and given the number of years training needed, is it just too late? This has been really depressing me for the past, well, ages, but I feel it is too late, with everyone I have heard of entering Medical School at 18.

not at all, my PBL group has a 21-year-old guy in it, and i've seen two people in lectures who are most definitely in their middle-ages, one who has gray hair even.

20 is two more years than those comin straight out of A level, one more than those who've taken a gap year, do you really think they throw away good candidates because they've lived for a few more months?
Reply 5
kcbarnes
Freshers... :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Hayls_HeartPH

P.S. Before anyone is degrading enough to ask, I am not one of the wannabe TV surgeons who has "seen and loved Grey's Anatomy, like, so much and sooo wants to be a surgeon now," please don't ask lol.

righty well it seems like u my love are in a bit of a pickle!! Righty... well first of did you know that some universities do a conversion course for people like you hu have decided that little bit too late that they want to do medicine!! there is an ex cop at nottingham hu decided he wanted to do medicine so he has been married and is now a second year!! so it does happen... sooo u might fancy looking into that, may be an idea!??
Loads of people to a gap year so if you decide to redo ur A-levels.. dont bother with physics... just do bio and chem and work really hard then fine u will be 20 entering uni, but i honestly dont think that is an issue unless you make it into 1!!
good luck and let me know how u get on!!
Reply 7
Danielle2137
Seeing as you had an offer from Southampton, you would indeed be a lifesaver if you could tell me when (roundabouts) they give out offers...I'm only waiting on them now and would quite like to know soonish. Also, do they have a post-offer open day? I looked around so long ago that I think I need to refresh my memory before making any decisions!

You're really rather lovely for starting this thread, so thank you! xxx

I got my offer from them in march i think .. they were quite late handing out offers!
Thanks kcbarnes! At least now I know I'm in for a long wait!
Reply 9
:wtf?:
Reply 10
Anyone else need some advice! it can be on anything!! xxx
Reply 11
yeh please explain how the cerebellum works, i'm finding it quite hard......
Reply 12
Why does the strangling ****** want to strangle me?
you fancy doing my pbl objectives for me?? :flutter:
Reply 14
Same reason someone wants me to be his 2nd wife (he needs 3 - one for each of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit...)

Thank the Lord (:wink:) for lecture days!
A bit harsh to warn someone who was trying to help people? Maybe just removing the address and a word would have sufficed? There was a day once upon a time where people used discretion...
Reply 16
I've got to admire the enthusiasm of Fresher Vs The Sum Misery of Applicants. Its touching. Weird, slightly arrogant and idiotic, but touching.
Renal
Why does the strangling ****** want to strangle me?

May be, like me, he finds your posts really irritating....
Reply 18
AEH
I've got to admire the enthusiasm of Fresher Vs The Sum Misery of Applicants. Its touching. Weird, slightly arrogant and idiotic, but touching.

Wern't we all niave, terrified ikle pre-Freshers back in the day? The panic, and anticipation, the crushing rejection and the final letter that says someone actually wants you? Give the keeno a break, whether it is a burning passion or misguided enthusiam, its a start.
Reply 19
theatrical
May be, like me, he finds your posts really irritating....
He's half way to being a serial killer, they don't let him fart around reading the **** on TSR...

Latest

Trending

Trending