The Student Room Group
I did my course in the summer, and its a pain to get a job, havent got a job yet, but thats partly because ive just started uni, planning on getting one this term, and then during easter when im back home from uni.

I guess it depends on how early you apply though, if your pool has an outdoor pool, then that will make it easier as they're usually low during the summer when they need casual staff.

Its a good fun course to do though, just pricy.
my friend lives in leicester and they're short staffed and increasing pay, i think it must depend on where you live / apply to work.
Reply 3
It depends entirely on how you do the course. Most places will offer a course when they need new lifeguards, so you could enqure at the pool that the course is at. If that fails, then getting a job will depend on how employable you are, e.g. if you only have the NPLQ (so no other qualifications/experience), then it will be quite a bit more difficult, if you can do other roles in the same center (bar/cooking, if they are in-house, first aid is always good), then they will be more likely to hire you. Also, experience in areas of responsibiliy/experience cleaning/safety is useful.

As for the course itself, I didn't find it that hard, but, having said that, I have had to watch people do a course this week, and they truly were appaling (timed swims were 1.25 after 5 days, supposed to be 65 secs).

The most difficuilt requrements of the course are the timed swims, deep water rescue, and the tows.

Post more here if you want some more information.
Reply 4
I just applied for a job at my local pool without the NPLQ qualification.... their offering to train up in the next 3 weeks.... starting work properly on the 17th Feb and if you work for them till at least November you don't have to pay anything towards the course.

I say shop around (or look around).
Reply 5
Course costs around £220 and you can do it in 5 days, with the exam on the friday.
Ask around at local leisure centres, and more often than not they have part- time jobs which are flexiable, which you put your name down for a shift whenever you want or a particular shift.

Vary's centre to centre what the rotations are, normally no more than 1hour on and every 2hrs you get a 20 min break.
One centre i worked at was 40mins on and up to 1h 20 mins off, that's because of the number of staff working!

Pay is around £5.52 increasing after 6pm weekdays and weekends, and with age.

Has good benefits, like free use of the centre, and if you work at a site after gaining your NPLQ, they often pay towards your NPLQ, and then the renewal 2 years down the line.

Any other questions?
Reply 6
char-fra
Vary's centre to centre what the rotations are, normally no more than 1hour on and every 2hrs you get a 20 min break.
One centre i worked at was 40mins on and up to 1h 20 mins off, that's because of the number of staff working!

I believe that the current regualtions are that you may not be on poolside for more than 90 mins, by law, but most of the time it varies not only by centre, but by manager. Most centres get you to do other tasks during your break (cleaning, refilling the vendors, covering reception, etc.), but again, it varies.

[QUOTE="char-fra"]Pay is around £5.52 increasing after 6pm weekdays and weekends, and with age.QUOTE]
Pay is, once again, entirely dependant on where you work, and who for. I am currently on £4.95/hour (bad, I know, but am trying to train up as DM), but I know of a place, no more than 20 miles away, that paid £8/hour. Again, the evenings/weekends varies with sites, but I know very few places that do it. Cover work/working overtime is more likely to be more lucrative.

Also, if you wish to retake your exam after two years, you must have competed a certain number of hours training (40 at present, I think), or you need to do the entire course again. This isn't normally a problem, as most centres get staff to train on a regular basis (monthly, normally), but when you are a university student, off for months at a time ...
5.35 an hour? what the hell you lot are being ripped the hell off, the skills you have shold entitle you to far better pay than that...
Reply 8
Yes, I agree, and we are currently in "negatiations" with the management to that effect (read: pestering until they give in). We are of the opinion that, as you are required to have a qualification, keep it up to date, and are actually in charge of the safety of the public, that we should be entitled to more than recces, but so far, they seem not to agree. I am looking for another job.
that's a joke, just strike the pool woul dhave to shut

Latest

Trending

Trending