The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i like :smile:
I'm in two minds about them. They can look ok on some people, but awful on others, and if you ever want to get rid of them I assume you'll pretty much have to just chop them and have really really short hair.
Reply 3
Dreadlocks on no one.
It's personal opinion, and personally I think they look disgusting, whoever they're on.
Reply 5
Horrible

But dont let me put you off,its your opinion that matters.
Reply 6
I love dreadlocks. I've had mine for nearly a year now, and I'll be sad when I have to get rid of them one day (I presume I'll have to for work or something silly)
They do require maintenance, but then I happily trade that for the irritation of having to faff and fuss in the mornings (I always inevitably ended up with a boring ponytail)

You need to have a good self image, though :p: You will get looks and comments. Ranging from random strangers walking up and telling you they love it, to obvious stares and your own friends being plain rude.
Reply 7
why not braids instead?
Reply 8
It depends on the person itself really and how well there suited. Like short hair doesn't suite some people but suites others really well! No matter the style if you think you dreadlocks will suite you personally then go for it :biggrin:

I've seen girls with dreadlocks and ive gotta say i find it hot especially those surfer girls :biggrin:
Craghyrax
I love dreadlocks. I've had mine for nearly a year now, and I'll be sad when I have to get rid of them one day (I presume I'll have to for work or something silly)
They do require maintenance, but then I happily trade that for the irritation of having to faff and fuss in the mornings (I always inevitably ended up with a boring ponytail)

You need to have a good self image, though :p: You will get looks and comments. Ranging from random strangers walking up and telling you they love it, to obvious stares and your own friends being plain rude.

hmm I dont really want people staring at me, wouldnt want to be noticed and i dont think my boyfriend would be too happy about it either. But dreads do sound rather tempting.
have you ever had any problems with dandruff? sorry to ask this lol but ive been curious as to wether dandruff could be a problem with dreadlocks; if i dont wash my hair for more than a couple of days then i usually get a bit flaky, so im thinking it could be a problem with me :s-smilie:
Reply 10
fit. I'd say go for it. and if you don't like them, within a certain time limit you can just comb them out -though it damages your hair to an extent.

girls with dreads = hot, esp if you like put random cool beads nd thread thround them nd stuff.

:yy:

EDIT: I wouldn't get them if you don't want to be noticed, or if it will upset your boyfriend. Although he could learn to love them I guess.
dani2511
why not braids instead?

Because I don't like them. Can't speak for OP of course. Are you in SA?
Reply 12
Craghyrax
Because I don't like them. Can't speak for OP of course. Are you in SA?

nope (unfortunately)... immigrant from SA lol :biggrin:
............;no;
~cherrykisses~
have you ever had any problems with dandruff? sorry to ask this lol but ive been curious as to wether dandruff could be a problem with dreadlocks; if i dont wash my hair for more than a couple of days then i usually get a bit flaky, so im thinking it could be a problem with me :s-smilie:

I did once, but that's because I'd been neglecting them. Now I rub them with beeswax once a week after washing them, and I wash them with tea trea oil plain soap(which moisturises) I also bought some ginger dandruff shampoo incase it happens again for emergencies (you're not supposed to use shampoos on dreadlocks, only natural soap). Both of the latter from Body Shop. So I guess 'no', as I didn't have any more encounters with dandruff than I had before I got them *shrug* (which isn't often)
dani2511
immigrant from SA lol :biggrin:

:dito:
Reply 16
Craghyrax
:dito:

where in pretoria? i'm from northcliff (in joburg), but i've got fam that live in silver lakes :smile:

and yeh, to the OP, if you really like dreads then go for it (i just suggested braids incase you reconsidered changing your hair, then atleast it's reversible). There was a girl in my bio class last year who had braids and it did look awesome on her...
Personally I love them and I'm considering getting them myself but not sure if ever I will (maybe next year when I go travelling or something) But yeah, I think they depend on the person. I like both long and shorter dreads. I think you should go for it, I know you can get conditioner-type stuff that makes them easier to get rid of without having to hack them all off which is good :smile:

But yes, I say go for it xD
Reply 18
On the right girl with the right kind of style it can look hot.

I remember the tv show called As If, the girl in it looked pretty hot with her dreads, it matched her overall style and personality. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Corrie

I googled it and this girl came up... suits her i think?
http://capecodhistory.us/Namibia/pictures/dreads%20003a.jpg
dani2511
where in pretoria? i'm from northcliff (in joburg), but i've got fam that live in silver lakes :smile:

I am in (and grew up in) Garsfontein (which is a suburb near Menlyn). When I was ickle we lived in Parkhurst, Joburg, just after moving here from England. You sound as if you miss it. I moved to England by choice three years back :p: My family still live in Pta..

Dreads are reversible, but you do have to wait for new hair to grow out obviously, as that particular dreaded length will be affected.
I'm sure I won't have the patience to take them out. I'm sure I'll just be a skinhead for a bit :rolleyes: :laugh:

Latest