The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
You suck then :p: :wink:
Reply 41
Winter
Hmm....It's just my personal opinion. :s
I'm doing it this summer, that's my plan since I'm good at Mechanics rather than pure maths....( actually the integration questions are formal and they won't crash you too much. :smile: compared to others such as Statistics... )
In addition, I think mechanics is more interesting as you can find "that's maths which is highly relevant to the real life rather than number games.
"Pure" Mathematician don't shout at me...that's just my thoughts...

It's called Physics. :wink:
Reply 42
Just one further point - if you are doing further maths, then the offer made will be conditional on getting 1,1 or 1,2 (usually) in STEP II and III.... when you look at the STEP papers you will see that STEP III includes questions on the topics you will study in Further Maths (and is - in my opinion - a lot more difficult than STEP I).

But don't be tempted not to study further maths in the hope you get an offer based on only STEP I and II.!! I think most people who had offers were studying further maths, and very few offers are made to people without it.
Reply 43
I think that it's broadly true that the only way you will get into Cambridge without a Further Maths A Level is if your school didn't offer it.
Reply 44
It's definitely the case that something must have prevented your studying it and also I believe they've now slightly changed the policy so that you *have* to do at least AS Further Maths whether you are able to do it or not :p:
Reply 45
Why don't you do additional further maths (an extra 6 modules) or an advanced extension award in maths (or both). This might sound a bit crazy but if you could do ALL of the further maths this year then you could spread the additional further out over years 12 and 13? Also it might look good if you take other subjects which aren't completely maths focused, like a language, so you look like more of an all rounder (not specifically for cambridge but later on).
Reply 46
AEA Maths is a waste of time if one has already completed Further Maths or STEP II.
Reply 47
Say if Cambridge make you an offer of grades 1,1 in Step and you achieve grades 1,2 or even 2,2 in Step. Would they still be likely to accept you or are you rejected straight if you don't meet all the requirements of the Step offer?
madz90
Why don't you do additional further maths (an extra 6 modules) or an advanced extension award in maths (or both). This might sound a bit crazy but if you could do ALL of the further maths this year then you could spread the additional further out over years 12 and 13?

This wouldn't be the difference between an offer and not. It would just show that you have the time to spend studying 6 extra modules. Why not just do Further maths and 2 other subjects, hope you do well in an interview and see from there?

Doing an EXTRA 6 modules is unneccesary, and to be honest, surely you have better things to do with your time...
Reply 49
It depends completely on college, and how many applicants there are. My college has half as many mathmos this year, because people dropped their step grades and it didn't let them in. However in previous years it's happily let in some people who've dropped a grade. Also you have a chance to be accepted by a different college in the summer pool, I don't know what the chances of that happening are though.
Reply 50
Look: if someone is going to study maths at degree level, why would they ever think of more maths as bad?
They wouldn't. They just wouldn't think of excessive amounts of it as the sole criteria for an offer. The additional maths wouldn't influence an admissions tutor to give you an offer, surely.. It'll be down to the interview more.
Reply 52
But it shows your dedication...Do you really think there is a vast differentiation created by interviews in the candidate list?
Yes, it shows dedication, but i can't see it making that much of a difference. The extra gain surely doesn't warrant the extra time spent learning/revising/taking 6 extra exams.
The OP would be better off getting as high as possible UMS in his subjects of choice, and enjoy sixth form instead of spending all their spare time learning more maths.

That's my opinion, feel free to disagree!
Reply 54
Also, even though knowledge is not being tested at the interview, simply doing difficult problems is helpful.
Reply 55
Zhen Lin
AEA Maths is a waste of time if one has already completed Further Maths or STEP II.

Really?
I don't want to waste my money on registering it if it's as useless as that. @_@
Reply 56
HCD
It's called Physics. :wink:

The massive descriptive questions in Alevel Physics destroy my interest in Physics...
My highest mark was 91% in stage test. I even thought my BPHO result was higher than that....
Reply 57
For you, I would agree - your competition achievements already surpass the level of AEA, and of course, your STEP II and III will as well.
Reply 58
Winter
Really?
I don't want to waste my money on registering it if it's as useless as that. @_@

Its probably only useful (in terms of Cambridge or Warwick) if you take it early - ie L6 or the equivalent, and indeed go on to blitz the paper for a distinction. - That shows you have ability beyond A level and will get your foot in the door as it were. (and in the case of Warwick, (if cambridge isn't meant to be) you've already made half their offer.
Mal G
Say if Cambridge make you an offer of grades 1,1 in Step and you achieve grades 1,2 or even 2,2 in Step. Would they still be likely to accept you or are you rejected straight if you don't meet all the requirements of the Step offer?
No-one can say definitively, but I certainly don't see it as likely that you'd be accepted if you miss your grades. More like 50/50 at best (if you get 1,2 with an offer of 1,1). I'd say you were very unlikely to be accepted with 2,2.

Latest

Trending

Trending