The Student Room Group

Cambridge Modern and Medieval Languages (MML) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cmdexe
How many of the MML reading list books do we actually need to have a copy of? How to tell which ones we will be using regularly? Is it feasible to use the library for a lot of the suggested reading?

Specifically German and Russian ab initio but also generally. Ta! :-)

Greetings fellow traveller. Im ser Alex and a fellow MML applicant. Ancient Greek and German for me.

As for the books, do your own reading. On any books. So long as you know what you're talking about.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
This thread has been woken from its slumber.

You never did pick up on my tennis reference... lol.
Original post by jneill
You never did pick up on my tennis reference... lol.

Which one?
Which one?

I noted your Moldovan connection, and simply asked if you played tennis.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
I noted your Moldovan connection, and simply asked if you played tennis.

Spoiler

Is this a coincidence. .....or perhaps fate.
As for the books, do your own reading. On any books. So long as you know what you're talking about.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you a current student? My post was aimed at current students who have an idea of what books you need to have at the start of the course, and which are not used or are briefly used. For example, it could be that half of the books on the list are only useful for a page or so, and hence are not worth buying for just that one page. That's more what I was after..
Original post by cmdexe
How many of the MML reading list books do we actually need to have a copy of? How to tell which ones we will be using regularly? Is it feasible to use the library for a lot of the suggested reading?

Hey! I don't study your languages but I do French and ab initio Spanish. I highly advise that you buy each of the core texts as you'll have to read these before you come up. You might not study all the core texts as in languages where there are lots of them, choice depends upon supervisor, so check any emails from your DoS/perhaps contact them. You can borrow them from college and department libraries but you'll often have lectures on books that don't match up with what you're doing with your supervisor, so having it all year is helpful, times when everyone is studying a text can make it hard to get hold of books and you can only take books out for so long at a time.

You will need to buy the recommended grammar books - these are used every week and are very useful in general.

Secondary/critical reading will be available in libraries and you don't have to buy these. My college gave us a book grant of up to 60% of what we paid (dictionaries and grammar books and translations for those in an ab inotio language included), though not until lent term, so check out if this is something you can get at yours.

I hope this has been helpful - anything not answered or further questions, let me know!
Original post by cmdexe

My advice would be to get in touch with your DoS, and ask to be put in touch with your future supervisors. They'd be best placed to tell you. Broadly speaking, you'll need to have a copy of the set texts, but I wouldn't bother much with secondary criticism. You'll find them in your college library, the fax library or the UL. As long as you have the set texts, you'll be fine.

If you get in touch with them, you can also find out what text you'll be starting with, so you'll know what reading to focus on.

Just out of curiosity, what college have you applied to?
Original post by camaieu
My advice would be to get in touch with your DoS, and ask to be put in touch with your future supervisors. They'd be best placed to tell you. Broadly speaking, you'll need to have a copy of the set texts, but I wouldn't bother much with secondary criticism. You'll find them in your college library, the fax library or the UL. As long as you have the set texts, you'll be fine.

If you get in touch with them, you can also find out what text you'll be starting with, so you'll know what reading to focus on.

Just out of curiosity, what college have you applied to?

I have an unconditional offer from last year from Fitzwilliam. :-) thanks for the advice, seems sensible. How do i know who my DoS is?
Made it! Any other successful applicants here?
Original post by james197

Yay congrats! What languages will you be doing? :biggrin:

Me!!:banana2::banana2::banana2:
Original post by Paralove
Yay congrats! What languages will you be doing? :biggrin:

Thank you! I initially applied for Spanish and ab-initio Portuguese but hopefully will be able to change to Spanish and ab-initio German :smile:

Original post by draculina
Me!!:banana2::banana2::banana2:

Congrats! Which languages/college?
Thank you! I initially applied for Spanish and ab-initio Portuguese but hopefully will be able to change to Spanish and ab-initio German :smile:

Congrats! Which languages/college?

French and AI Italian at St Catz! Which college are you at?

St John's :smile:

Oh, I'm French and ab-initio German at St Catz!
St John's :smile:

Congrats!!

Original post by Saracen's Fez
Oh, I'm French and ab-initio German at St Catz!

Represent! I guess we'll have seminars for French together! Congrats
Original post by lauuuura
Hi, im hopefully going to be doing MML in October!
That was how my interview was - definitely for French, there was a French lady there and i had to read some aloud, summarise it and then answer questions! In the German, I had to do that too but there was no native speaker.

Im so excited! :biggrin:

I've just been accepted for French and German too! :biggrin:
Which college are you at?

I can't believe I'm saying this, but me!
What languages are you doing and which college are you at? :biggrin:
Original post by helen_barker97
I can't believe I'm saying this, but me!
What languages are you doing and which college are you at? :biggrin:

I applied for Spanish and Portuguese at St John's but hopefully will be able to swap Portuguese for German :smile: :smile:

Has anyone been contacted by their college yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending