The Student Room Group

Cambridge Modern and Medieval Languages (MML) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I might be taking AEA French, but I'm not really sure if there's any point in me doing it. I looked at a mock and it seemed pretty tough! Is anyone going to sit the German one? I'd quite like to, but I'm slightly worried that I wouldn't pass and look a bit silly!
I did both French and German AEA and they were fiiiiiine :smile:!
Crazy_emz
Wow, butterfly girl, that course sounds great! I'd love to go on something like that, as I get really easily bored in A level lessons too.

City_chic, really sorry to hear you didn't get in.

For my interview, I read some Garcia Lorca (Bodas de Sangre and Yerma) and Esquivel (Como Agua Para Chocolate) and for French I read 'Les Petits Enfants du Siecle, Les Trois Contes, L'Etranger and La Chute. I also read a translation of Madame Bovary.

Is anyone on here taking AEA French or Spanish?

Aw, thanks :smile: I'm seriously considering re-applying this year, but it's really quite a big decision to make I suppose. But then again I'm not too happy with the choices left that I've got so it'd be the best thing to do perhaps.

I've heard that 'Les Petits Enfants du Siecle' is supposed to be really good. I'll check that one out.
butterfly_girl_5

but I didnt actually know that- I assumed all 1A papers were compulsory- are they not? Do you know if people can choose to do both literary and linguistic all the way through their mml course?:smile:

For 1A you have to choose one scheduled paper which for French and Spanish is either Literature or Structures and Varieties (linguistics). It's slightly different for other languages which I'm sure other people can clarify. So basically in first year for each language you can either do literature OR linguistics although you could do say literature for French and linguistics for Spanish. However in later years I think you can combine literature and linguistics. It's all on the MML website though if you want to have a look.

As for AEAs, they're not too bad. I did French and Spanish last year if anyone wants to know anything about them. Just do practice papers and you'll be fine.

City_Chic, if you're thinking about reapplying I would definitely recommend doing the AEAs as I think they definitely make your application stronger, especially if you can get distinction. I reapplied (also mainly because I wasn't really happy with any of my other choices) and obviously I don't actually know but I feel like they probably helped. Feel free to PM me if you want any advice about the whole reapplying thing.
lingolicious
For 1A you have to choose one scheduled paper which for French and Spanish is either Literature or Structures and Varieties (linguistics). It's slightly different for other languages which I'm sure other people can clarify. So basically in first year for each language you can either do literature OR linguistics although you could do say literature for French and linguistics for Spanish. However in later years I think you can combine literature and linguistics. It's all on the MML website though if you want to have a look.

As for AEAs, they're not too bad. I did French and Spanish last year if anyone wants to know anything about them. Just do practice papers and you'll be fine.

City_Chic, if you're thinking about reapplying I would definitely recommend doing the AEAs as I think they definitely make your application stronger, especially if you can get distinction. I reapplied (also mainly because I wasn't really happy with any of my other choices) and obviously I don't actually know but I feel like they probably helped. Feel free to PM me if you want any advice about the whole reapplying thing.

The course looks great with the mix between lit and linguistics.

I'm not sure if my school has any record of pupils doing AEAs... not as far as I know anyway. I'd have to ask the examination officer probably and ask about it. How hard are they really though? Are there practise papers available too? Also, if you fail it, can you just decline it without the unis knowing you ever sat it? Also... lol, would a Merit in it still be good in an admissions tutor's eyes? That's terrific that you got in a second time around. Can I ask if you were pooled the first time? I'll probably take you up on the PM thing at some point, thanks :smile:
city_chic
Aw, thanks :smile: I'm seriously considering re-applying this year, but it's really quite a big decision to make I suppose. But then again I'm not too happy with the choices left that I've got so it'd be the best thing to do perhaps.

I've heard that 'Les Petits Enfants du Siecle' is supposed to be really good. I'll check that one out.

definitely reapply!
And id try to get 90% in your A2 modules if you can (not that it would severly disadvatage you if you didnt) and definitely have a go at the AEAs
basically, do everything you can to strengthen your application-within reason

My opinion is, while reading 'good' books' in french are worth doing, you want to have a very good handle on the big names- id say thats much more important because it shows a more intellectuall slant on your interest in languages (thus you are more intellectual generally and seem better suited to cambridge & its course)

so id familiarize yourself with hugo, baudelaire, flaubert, moliere, camus, satre, rousseau, zola, voltaire (candide), balzac, beckett (wiki page on french literature has a section with the major writers/works/ playwrites/poets of each century. and read a bit about all the various literary movements: romanticism, the parnisans, realism, symbolism, surrealism- bc theyre especially important in french literature and read a little about the significant historical events of french history (in particular the revolutions)

you dont need to do this- but it would certainly strengthen your case if youre really serious about having another shot at cambridge. also- if might be worth reading a few books from their reading list (somewhere with the Fr 1A papers on the mml site- i could find it for you if you cant)

the more you read, the more at home you'll feel- generally as an intellectual and you'll probably find certain areas appeal to you especially- so if you could talk about something intellectual and demonstrate insight and passion that would really impress.
City Chic, just out of interest, do you reckon if you did reapply, you'd reapply to Clare?
butterfly_girl_5
definitely reapply!
And id try to get 90% in your A2 modules if you can (not that it would severly disadvatage you if you didnt) and definitely have a go at the AEAs
basically, do everything you can to strengthen your application-within reason

My opinion is, while reading 'good' books' in french are worth doing, you want to have a very good handle on the big names- id say thats much more important because it shows a more intellectuall slant on your interest in languages (thus you are more intellectual generally and seem better suited to cambridge & its course)

so id familiarize yourself with hugo, baudelaire, flaubert, moliere, camus, satre, rousseau, zola, voltaire (candide), balzac, beckett (wiki page on french literature has a section with the major writers/works/ playwrites/poets of each century. and read a bit about all the various literary movements: romanticism, the parnisans, realism, symbolism, surrealism- bc theyre especially important in french literature and read a little about the significant historical events of french history (in particular the revolutions)

you dont need to do this- but it would certainly strengthen your case if youre really serious about having another shot at cambridge. also- if might be worth reading a few books from their reading list (somewhere with the Fr 1A papers on the mml site- i could find it for you if you cant)

the more you read, the more at home you'll feel- generally as an intellectual and you'll probably find certain areas appeal to you especially- so if you could talk about something intellectual and demonstrate insight and passion that would really impress.

Yep. My aims this year are to gain 90%+ in each subject (and so to work very very hard) and to get an A* in Spanish GCSE. Also to go on a summer Spanish course. I'm not too sure about doing an AEA. It wouldn't harm to attempt it I guess, but I don't know if it would be too much to have on my plate, on top of everything else.

Thanks for all the advice; I really appreciate it. I'm definitely going to work on reading numerous French literature, critical acclaim etc. It's what I really should have done last year.

On the subject of the Cambridge reading list; would it go against you at all if it appeared that you were only reading books that you saw on there to try and specifically impress them at Cambridge. Like 'sucking up' in a way?

Duck and Cover
City Chic, just out of interest, do you reckon if you did reapply, you'd reapply to Clare?

No. As much as I love Clare I think it'd be a pretty bad idea to re-apply there. The best bet is that I'd be interviewed by the same people again, and that can't be a good thing. Plus, if I was pooled I could end up anywhere anyway, so the best thing would be to apply to a different college a second time around I think.
Reply 68
On the subject of the Cambridge reading list; would it go against you at all if it appeared that you were only reading books that you saw on there to try and specifically impress them at Cambridge. Like 'sucking up' in a way?

If you actually genuinely liked them, then that would be great. If you were to just read them to look good, there's not much point - much better to read stuff you enjoy! Les Petits Enfants du Siecle is good, if slightly depressing, but it's probably better to get the edition with commentary, as it has explanations of some of the French slang terms.

Oh, and my idea of 'critical acclaim' was Wikipedia and Sparknotes - it's what happens when your local library is rubbish!

Errggh, I really must remind my French and Spanish teachers about the AEAs!
Crazy_emz
If you actually genuinely liked them, then that would be great. If you were to just read them to look good, there's not much point - much better to read stuff you enjoy! Les Petits Enfants du Siecle is good, if slightly depressing, but it's probably better to get the edition with commentary, as it has explanations of some of the French slang terms.

Oh, and my idea of 'critical acclaim' was Wikipedia and Sparknotes - it's what happens when your local library is rubbish!

Errggh, I really must remind my French and Spanish teachers about the AEAs!

Okay, I'll definitely check that one out anyway.

I actually did wiki Camus; I did something useful :p: To be fair, Wikipedia can have pretty much all the info you need on most things.

Are you taking AEAs in both languages?
Reply 70
Yes. I really need to do some extra work to improve my grammar and vocab but it's hard to motivate myself sometimes because I get quite bored in lessons because they're not that challenging. I really shouldn't have put the AEAs on my UCAS form, I just thought it would look good. At least my offer doesn't include them.

Yep, I wiki-ed Camus and it was pretty good. Unfortunately, it didn't have much on any of the other authors!
Ditto; most of my French lessons are really dull and uninspiring. I put GCSE Spanish on my UCAS form and in a way I regret it. I do want to go ahead and do it, but I keep thinking 'what if I don't have enough time to prepare for it and fail it?' etc. BTW, you can decline GCSE grades can't you? If I'm re-applying it'll make no difference anyway whether I end up doing it or not. Fingers crossed I will anyway.
Reply 72
I'm not sure if you can decline them,but you're obviously really good at languages, so you hopefully won't need as much time to prepare as you think. If it all gets too much for you though, you could always drop it, as it's more important to do well in your A levels. If you want any help with GCSE Spanish, PM me - I did GCSE Spanish in Years 10 and 11 having never done Spanish before, whereas everyone else in the class had studied it for 2 years before that, so I had to do some very quick catching up! It was scary but worth it in the end.
Crazy_emz
I'm not sure if you can decline them,but you're obviously really good at languages, so you hopefully won't need as much time to prepare as you think. If it all gets too much for you though, you could always drop it, as it's more important to do well in your A levels. If you want any help with GCSE Spanish, PM me - I did GCSE Spanish in Years 10 and 11 having never done Spanish before, whereas everyone else in the class had studied it for 2 years before that, so I had to do some very quick catching up! It was scary but worth it in the end.

Yes, I suppose I could decide not to do it last-min. If that's possible...

Yeah, I pick up languages very easily, and I've started learning the basics already. I keep reminding myself that a GCSE really doesn't require an awful lot of competence in the language either. I only had basic grasp of the past, present and future tenses for my French GCSE (namely because the teacher was utter rubbish though...) and I got an A*. I also remember thinking the listening went pretty bad but obv. it can't have affected my overall grade at all. Hopefully my teacher will help me with the coursework (that should be an easy full marks for sure) and also the oral (my mum's pretty fluent in Spanish too so she can also help me a lot with it). Then I can buy some practise listening and reading papers I guess. I suppose the main thing atm anyway is to learn grammar and as much vocab as I can.

Thanks for the offer; I may be PMing you at some point :smile:
city_chic

The first year lit course for French at least involves quite a wide variety of books, most of which people wouldn't really have heard of before (unlike say...Baudelaire, Camus etc) If you did want to read some off the reading list (which wouldn't be a bad idea I suppose!), the best bet would probably be the Moliere plays as they wouldn't look so...suspicious!! If you said you'd read L'Heptameron and Le Compte de Floire et Blanchefleur, I think they'd suspect :p:
Duck and Cover
The first year lit course for French at least involves quite a wide variety of books, most of which people wouldn't really have heard of before (unlike say...Baudelaire, Camus etc) If you did want to read some off the reading list (which wouldn't be a bad idea I suppose!), the best bet would probably be the Moliere plays as they wouldn't look so...suspicious!! If you said you'd read L'Heptameron and Le Compte de Floire et Blanchefleur, I think they'd suspect :p:

Haha, okay then :p:
city_chic
I'm not sure if my school has any record of pupils doing AEAs... not as far as I know anyway. I'd have to ask the examination officer probably and ask about it. How hard are they really though? Are there practise papers available too? Also, if you fail it, can you just decline it without the unis knowing you ever sat it? Also... lol, would a Merit in it still be good in an admissions tutor's eyes? That's terrific that you got in a second time around. Can I ask if you were pooled the first time? I'll probably take you up on the PM thing at some point, thanks :smile:

Yep definitely see if your school can offer them at all. If they don't, pester them until they introduce it :p:
The idea of AEAs is that they're based on what you're normally studying for your A level but harder questions ie you don't have to do any extra revision. As I saw it they wouldn't take up too much time as it was just a 3 hour exam and a couple of past papers to practise. It's difficult to put a measure on how hard they are, it's harder reading and listening comprehension, fill in the gap exercises, probably some rephrasing exercises and a 500 word discursive or creative essay (if I remember rightly!)
The best way to see is to have a look at some past papers. OCR does the French and their website seems to be pretty rubbish and doesn't have any past papers but there is some related info here http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/aea/french/documents.html
If it helps the Edexcel website has a specimen paper for Spanish here http://www.edexcel.org.uk/quals/aea/9881
I'm sure you could find some actual past papers if you google it. I actually think I may have got an old French paper off our very own TSR so search the language forums here as well!
As for marks, I don't know whether you can decline it but I guess you can just choose not to put it on your UCAS form. And yes I'm sure they will be impressed with a merit - I got a merit for French and a distinction for Spanish.
I asked about AEAs at an open day I went to before applying the second time. They said they looked on them very favourable and it shows you can bridge the gap between school and uni. They also said they'd give a medal to anyone who got distinction in physics! Ok so we're not doing physics here but that shows they do value them.
What else? Oh yes, I was pooled the first time...although I slightly suspect I was automatically pooled as I fitted the criteria, who knows. And you're right, it's definitely better to apply to a different college, clean slate and all that.
Anything else, just ask! :smile:
lingolicious
Yep definitely see if your school can offer them at all. If they don't, pester them until they introduce it :p:
The idea of AEAs is that they're based on what you're normally studying for your A level but harder questions ie you don't have to do any extra revision. As I saw it they wouldn't take up too much time as it was just a 3 hour exam and a couple of past papers to practise. It's difficult to put a measure on how hard they are, it's harder reading and listening comprehension, fill in the gap exercises, probably some rephrasing exercises and a 500 word discursive or creative essay (if I remember rightly!)
The best way to see is to have a look at some past papers. OCR does the French and their website seems to be pretty rubbish and doesn't have any past papers but there is some related info here http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/aea/french/documents.html
If it helps the Edexcel website has a specimen paper for Spanish here http://www.edexcel.org.uk/quals/aea/9881
I'm sure you could find some actual past papers if you google it. I actually think I may have got an old French paper off our very own TSR so search the language forums here as well!
As for marks, I don't know whether you can decline it but I guess you can just choose not to put it on your UCAS form. And yes I'm sure they will be impressed with a merit - I got a merit for French and a distinction for Spanish.
I asked about AEAs at an open day I went to before applying the second time. They said they looked on them very favourable and it shows you can bridge the gap between school and uni. They also said they'd give a medal to anyone who got distinction in physics! Ok so we're not doing physics here but that shows they do value them.
What else? Oh yes, I was pooled the first time...although I slightly suspect I was automatically pooled as I fitted the criteria, who knows. And you're right, it's definitely better to apply to a different college, clean slate and all that.
Anything else, just ask! :smile:

I think I'll definitely ask my admissions tutor about doing an AEA then, especially if it won't require any extra revision (apart from practise papers perhaps). All it'll require is for him to order the paper/s, right? :\ Did you receive any extra help from your teacher/s or not? You did amazing to get a Merit and a Distinction! :smile: Thanks for the links. Ha, of course, I forgot that it won't even be necessary to declare it anyway; therefore I may as well give it a shot! I'd be thrilled with a Merit. (oh yes, is there a listening exam involved? I'm guessing so)

Thanks for being so helpful :biggrin:
To be honest I'm not actually sure what processes schools have to go through for you to be able to sit an exam. The examinations officer should know though, or be able to find out.
My teachers were very helpful and marked the papers I did and answered any questions. We also had a half hour 'Oxbridge/AEA' class every two weeks doing harder grammar and such like. I hope your teachers do give you some support as it's in their interests as well that you do well
There is listening, I think it's split a quarter for reading, quarter listening and half writing. The listening's in the same style as for A2 but the language level is harder and you have to write a bit more.
And no problem, I like to be of help!
lingolicious
To be honest I'm not actually sure what processes schools have to go through for you to be able to sit an exam. The examinations officer should know though, or be able to find out.
My teachers were very helpful and marked the papers I did and answered any questions. We also had a half hour 'Oxbridge/AEA' class every two weeks doing harder grammar and such like. I hope your teachers do give you some support as it's in their interests as well that you do well
There is listening, I think it's split a quarter for reading, quarter listening and half writing. The listening's in the same style as for A2 but the language level is harder and you have to write a bit more.
And no problem, I like to be of help!

Wow, we didn't have any 'Oxbridge classes' nor mock interviews or anything. My school is pretty rubbish to be honest.

Ah right, okay. I'll definitely think about doing it, although I can imagine myself to fail it :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending