The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
This is rather crazy to be starting this thread now, but anyhoo. We did this last year for the freshers going up in October (only we waited till halfway through AUGUST!). Read through it, it'll probably answer most of your questions:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=9573174

Thanks, you are clearly much better at searching than I am; I did look.
Reply 41
Nah, I started the thread, so it was just fairly easy for me to find. :smile:
Reply 42
The West Wing
Is there a bus service between Clare and the Sidgwick site? (I'm not lazy)

plus, doing SPS, u go to the sidgwick site very rarely (i think i went about 3/4 times in a term), and it's very close.
Reply 43
Cambridge has got me into a lazy attitude though. My lectures are in New Museums and I am at Corpus...so er yeah anything more than a minute in the morning is bad!

Though I do worry at the people who bike to Sidgwick site mainly because surely it takes longer to unlock, go on back and then lock up again than just by walking for most college/lectures journeys?
Reply 44
Laur
A bus would probably take longer in the narrow Cambridge streets, with stops as well. And waiting for the thing.

The streets between Clare Mem Court and the Sidgwick aren't narrow. Though basically you have to walk out the back, down the UL path and across the world. It's about as cushy as it gets.
Reply 45
I've been to Clare Cellars and walked past Mem Court on the way to the UL but I can't work out how the two bits of the college fit together in my mind. Are they two distinct sites or are they joined up in some way?
Reply 46
There's an exclusive Clare path, which takes about a minute to walk, so they're linked in that way, just not by buildings. The other side of Mem Court exits perpendicular to Queens Road, and just across the road is the path to Old Court.
Reply 47
Seeing as we're discussing clothing - When i was looking around Cambridge, nearly every other shop sold a uni hoodie and college ties and stuff. Is there any 'official' place to buy them i.e. I know for UCL the UCLSU sells the 'official' UCL hoodie and LSE have their own shop on site.
Reply 48
All my hoodies (or 'stash', as it tends to be called) are society-based. And they're bought through the societies, once you're a member (or even if you're not, if you want to pose as someone who does a random activity!).

Dunno about the main university ones -- but the 'official' ones are the ones with the little embroidered crest in the corner, NOT the ones with "CAMBRIDGE" splattered across the front. Quite a lot of people seem to wear those as well, though...
Reply 49
Either the market place, or Ryder & Ames (sounds like it's out of harry potter, but it ain't). It's next to St Mary's Church, opposite King's. I still don't have a college hoodie actually... My porters lodge sells college stash - scarves, ties, mugs, rugby shirts, polo shirts etc.
Reply 50
^^ I know I'm gonna be like a tourist if/when I get to Cambridge - Buy any/every peice of Uni gear and wear it everywhere!
Reply 51
I had that plan, yet all plans you make before getting there seem to collapse once you actually turn up...
Reply 52
But you forget that I'm Indian, and we come second only to the Japanese in terms of obsessive tourist tendancies.
Reply 53
Don't get university stuff! Everyone wears college 'stash' - boat club hoodies/splashjackets etc (unless you make a blues squad - CUBC, Cambridge Uni Rugby etc then wear your university stash). And everyone who is anyone knows that AE Clothier is far superior to Ryder and Amies (its on Pembroke Street). Tourists got to Ryder and Amies, students go to AE Clothier - especially for scarves, cufflinks and bowties
Reply 54
Just to add I don't work for AE Clothier. But everytime I've been in they have been legendary. They know the bumps charts, the varsity matches etc back to front. Much more of the Cambridge experience than Ryder (and in my limited experience of my college bow ties and cuff links cheaper)
Reply 55
And actually, I bought my college scarf from R&A and it was listed as £18 but they charged me £20 'as the prices had changed that day'. Bastards. Still not walking all the way to Pembroke Street though, it's ****ing miles.
Reply 56
And actually, I bought my college scarf from R&A and it was listed as £18 but they charged me £20 'as the prices had changed that day'. Bastards. Still not walking all the way to Pembroke Street though, it's ****ing miles.

Its about 3 minutes from R&A! :smile: And actually closer to lot of departments then R&A

On another note: guys need to learn to do bow ties properly if you buy college bow ties as I don't believe there are clip on options
Reply 57
No you don't, you just find an attractive girl that knows how and then you put your puppy dog eyes on. Did James Bond teach you nothing?
Reply 58

it's always worth a walk to pembroke street!!
Reply 59
parkerpen
Don't get university stuff! Everyone wears college 'stash' -

very true, a lot of people in my college have got those zip-up college hoodies, but i don't think i've seen anyone in the Cambridge hoodies (they're a bit touristy).

Latest

Trending

Trending